Your fine Ken!

#17 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:07 AM

There's an easy way to confirm this... On payday,figure what your minimum wage paycheck would be and then put all of the rest (if you have any left) into the bank. Pay your bills for at least 6 months without touching your (extra) money.
  • LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,616 Thanks
  • 6,726 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 08:01 AM

I mentioned this thread to my wife about 1 in 6 being hungry and I had a hard time believing  it , boy did I get lectured from her !  I guess I'm kind of living in a bubble . We have a fridge & freezer  full of food ,   a garden with plenty of fresh veggies . I'm sure when my wife food shops she looks at prices but if she's hungry for a steak or anything else she buys it . We had food go bad before we can eat all of it .  I don't know the answer for this problem but it makes you think how lucky we are .

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, NJKen and 1 other said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,420 Thanks
  • 5,178 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 03:48 PM

I mentioned this thread to my wife about 1 in 6 being hungry and I had a hard time believing it , boy did I get lectured from her ! I guess I'm kind of living in a bubble . We have a fridge & freezer full of food , a garden with plenty of fresh veggies . I'm sure when my wife food shops she looks at prices but if she's hungry for a steak or anything else she buys it . We had food go bad before we can eat all of it . I don't know the answer for this problem but it makes you think how lucky we are .

A lot of truth to that. We have the kitchen freezer and fridge full, the cabinets full, pantry full and a deep freeze full in the garage.

A lot of us take for granted what we have available to us. I am one of them. I forget that I have it so good at times.
  • Bill56, Alc, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#20 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,878 Thanks
  • 2,259 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Me and the wife live rite in the middle of this!!  We don't struggle most of the time, bills are always paid and there is always food in the house, we try to eat healthy and buy lots of fruit and veggies but gosh is it expensive.  you can buy enough food to feed the family for two weeks on $200 in junk food but $150 in fruits and vegies will hardly last a week!

My family is on the other end of the system, they collect and are always complaining about no food or money, yet my brother in law smoked two packs a day and drinks like a fish!!!!!!  I have asked about their priority's before but all I got was a good helping of stern tongue and cold shoulder from the wife.  I guess some people have different priority's.

Pete

• Alc, sacsr, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Right now i am eating some pizza and a grinder from A-1 Hilltown Pizza, $ 31 and change, i can't eat all that, left overs ?, balls to that, my girls and uncle love pizza, heading over there in a few before it gets too cold.

Worth it ? for them, every penny spent, not a single family member will go hungry so long as i continue to wake up every morning.

1 in 6 is BS, with all the food we have in this country, that should not be allowed to happen.

Edited by trowel, August 09, 2014 - 06:40 PM.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,878 Thanks
  • 2,259 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I don't believe even for a second that this is because of a food shortage.  the hunger epidemic in this country is due to economic issues, weather people are to poor to buy food or spend their money on beer and cigarette's.  You cannot help those who wont help themselves!!! 

• trowel, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 6,207 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 10:43 PM

The cost of food is something that needs looking into. If the farmer got a fair cut of the money for his raw product, that would be one thing, but the main cost seems to be going to the middleman and the processing that we have been convinced is necessary to make the food "tasty". and to "suit our busy life style". Leave out all the additives and refining, learn to  really cook instead of using the microwave, and understand the difference between "want" and "need", and things might improve a bit. Properly cooked whole grains, be it wheat, barley, rice, beans etc. mixed with a minimum of meat and veggies can be a balanced and delicious diet. Boring? Maybe. Not what is hyped to be "in"? Definitely. Healthful and within a meager income? You bet it is.

• Bill56, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:53 AM

** Warning, for those of you who can't deal with reality don't read this, opinions may hurt **

Like a lot i am very hard edged with no real respect for our current fed government, just to those who currently are and has served and made it back alive, regards and thank you to our soldiers, your job is done, welcome home and our public officers who give a sh*t, thank you.

Just like our fuel and i mean diesel/kerosine which is cheaper to refine it being first to refine after crude oil before being refined into unleaded gas it is more expensive then gas, pure total rip off, many depend on this for heat so many suffer and is forced to use electricity or switch to natural gas which undoubtly will rise due to some shortage that will ''unexpectedly'' come along and stay up to to some ''hidden'' process or ''man made shortage'' that will pop up out of nowhere even though you know for a fact the Big Oil figured the number and amounts to a T but still it has to happen and be a, and i quote ''mistake'' which we know to be total BS.

Need i start on the Ethanol that was rammed down our throats even the vote were against it 3 to 1 but somehow was changed just before it was done ?? can you say ''buy off'' !!

But as usual we don't have the funding to fight it down and like a whipped dog we just shut up and put up with it all with a whine.

No different regarding food, even though the cheap food goes through more processing, subjected to tons of chemicals and has a list miles long of all the additives it is still cheaper then the ''organic'' food WTF happened there ???

As we moved towards the natural organic eat healthy phase due to the rise in heath problems from being directly linked to ''safe'' foods the fed gov sponsored  medical groups, FDA and other put on the general market, surprise !! (more like DUH !! 30 years later and now you find out ?? the stupidity baffles me ) the fed gov conveniently stepped in with the FDA and their brainwashed green bunnies and branded the word Organic with so many rules and regulations that cost piles of money to become certified organic market farmer, trust me, i have seen the process required, it is not easy, even for the market gardeners and veggie farmers currently working to ''convert'' to organic, a joke that to this day i am still laughing about due to the sheer stupidity of people putting their trust in our current government and there are ''food shortages'',....where ??? in the USA ?? oh !! right, i forgot, the ''man made shortages'' the poor and low income people that can't afford to eat healthy, right, i almost forgot, the ones i put boxes of food out for !!

The big OOPS moment has arrived, more like no sh*t, what are you a dog so willing to please your owner, an us kids has to suffer for your mistakes, come on ???

So, to grow a few acres of ''organic'' veggie and fruits for open market cost more in this country to prep, grow, maintain and sell then it does to have multi stage processed food shipped into the county from another country and we wonder why the 6 to 1 hunger ratio even exists !!

So, instead of living a life like many has before me i have sit there and endure the internal pains of explaining to the little ones why we subject ourselves to the daily abuse for just a pocket full of change only to give it all back for nothing and why we live a lie and why some others can't spend the money fast enough and live long heathy lives.

Trust me, those wide eyes that fully trust your words tugging at your pant looking up to you will rip your heart out of your chest and stomp on it. 

''Jesse, im hungry''

Then they grow into the dreaded teen years,..................need i elaborate on that subject ??

All come down to is your wallet, purse, the family you was born into and pure luck.

I am expecting this to be deleted and/or locked and some PMs from moderators and others in regards to the brutality of the said contents, i feel very strongly regarding hunger, fire away.

Edited by trowel, August 10, 2014 - 05:16 AM.

• Jack, oldedeeres and T Guiles have said thanks

#25 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 6,207 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'm with you all the way Trowel, thank you.

• trowel said thank you

#26 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,633 Thanks
  • 1,671 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 01:13 PM

As far as being hungry and poor on minimum wage, people make bad decision and have to live with the consequences. The single mothers and fathers out there have to live with the choices they made. Both my parents grew up dirt poor, but they did not let that stop them from doing something with their lives to better themselves and our family. In the beginning of their marriage, it was hard. They worked harder and did not whine about the gov should raise minimum wage. Dad had 2 jobs and farm work on the weekends until  the family was in a better position. Then he went to one job and farm work. Mom always had a job. Was it easy? No. Was it 40hours and home? NO. Was it a struggle? Yes. Did they do it? Everyday. So when I hear someone complaining about minimum wage, I think of my parents struggle and how they succeeded. Mom just celebrated her 72 birthday by going shopping all day. Dad is 74 and still working everyday with a job he loves. Neither has asked that the gov to raise minimum wage.

Yes they both did without so that us kids could eat and have a good childhood.

• Alc, trowel, Jack and 2 others have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,420 Thanks
  • 5,178 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 03:21 PM

My dad was making 3.40 an hour when I was born in 1984. We were poor. Dad would not apply for any assistance and wanted my mom home with me. He worked hard and it took a few years. When dad retired he was making over 100,000 a year.

It's not fair to lump people making min wage into a category that expects hand outs.

My grandparents on my dad's side barely had enough money to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. My grandfather worked for the rail road and made good money. But he drank his money. My grandmother would walk to the rail road office and get his paycheck if he got it first he would go to the bar and come home with no money.

Raising min wage isn't the solution to this problem. That's just going to lead to more inflation and 15 dollar big macs.

I don't have the solution if I did I wouldn't be a coal miner in west Virginia. I know I have worked hard to get where I am and I have fell a few times along the way. But I have been very fortunate.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 10, 2014 - 03:24 PM.

• coldone, trowel, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#28 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 6,207 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:46 PM

IMO you are both right--- a lot of the younger ones out there seem to feel they are entitled to a life of not having to work hard for a living. A lot want someone; Mom and Dad, the government, fate or whatever, to provide for them just because they exist, not because they have earned their place in the world. I know this is not the case for all, but it is for a good many that I have observed.
  • trowel said thank you

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,420 Thanks
  • 5,178 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:16 PM

My brother in law is a perfect example of the lazy youth. We were all at the in laws tonight visiting. He came over there in tears because he lost his job for calling off sick, then admits to doing drugs again, and then before leaving he steals 50 dollars out of my mother in laws purse.

He expects the world to give him everything. He expects his parents to bail him out time and time again.
  • trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks