LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:37 AM

I just read the August issue of National Geographic. There is a very thought provoking story about Hunger in America. 1 in 6 people in America don't have enough to eat. Poverty is only one reason why this is so. Check it out.

• hamman said thank you

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:53 AM

I can understand why in some countries people don't have enough to eat as there just is not enough food but I can't understand why someone in a country that throws tons of food away,has food banks,church pantries and food stamps would not have enough to eat.

• hamman said thank you

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 11:21 AM

And yet "they" seem to be always yipping about obesity being a major health concern in both (Canada and U.S.A.) countries. Up here, a lack of food seems to have a lot to do with poor choices in how you spend the money you have --- IMO cigarettes should not come before milk on a families shopping list. Here comes a pet soap box of mine; if the minimum wage that many folks have to live on was actually a living wage, people might feed themselves better, always assuming they have their priorities straight. Some people are always going to make poor choices it seems, and a downward spiral is terribly hard to climb out of. I don't think charity and welfare are the total answer, but they do help. Education, meaningful work, and thinking outside the box as far as food and official policies are key. Many spare lots in cities could grow gardens if an example were set and supervisory help given for instance.
  • hamman, JDBrian, truck21 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 01:01 PM

^^

I couldn't agree with you more or said it better.

2 years ago I was in a gas station, and the woman in front of me, dressed like a professional business woman, was talking to the cashier.  She bought 5 lottery tickets, and was off to side scratching them.  She looked at us and said I hope I win at least 50 so I can buy some groceries.  I laughed and she said I'm not joking.  I paid and was outside getting in my car, she comes out and hops into a very new Mercedes sedan and drove off.  I'm thinking to myself, wow there is a person with some screwed up financial choices!  I pray she didn't have any children.

Here is a good article that compares poor to obese.

http://instituteforn...oor-people-fat/

Snippet from that article

Professor and obesity researcher, Dr. Adam Drewnowski set out to determine why income is the most reliable predictor of obesity in the U.S. To do this, he took a hypothetical dollar to the grocery store. His goal was to purchase as many calories as possible per dollar.

What he found is that he could buy well over 1,000 calories of cookies or potato chips. But his dollar would only buy 250 calories of carrots. He could buy almost 900 calories of soda… but only 170 calories of orange juice.

If you are poor and hungry, you are obviously going to buy the cheapest calories you can find. And in today’s world, the cheapest calories come from junk foods – whether those foods are found at the grocery store, the gas station, or in the fast food restaurant, conveniently located just down the street.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 04, 2014 - 01:03 PM.

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Dollar stretching is a common practice these days. As others have said, some people are good at wasting money. 

There are also some with actual true needs that deserve help. As with any problem the bad people make it hard for the good ones.

• hamman, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:40 PM

I refuse to comment due to political views surfacing.
  • hamman, sacsr, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#7 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:30 PM

I just read the August issue of National Geographic. There is a very thought provoking story about Hunger in America. 1 in 6 people in America don't have enough to eat. Poverty is only one reason why this is so. Check it out.

You just get that for the articles rite Rich ? : )

1 out of 6 don't seem rite to me. It's got to be less then that. I know lots of people and none that I know of are going hungry. But then again most of the people I know are hard working tax paying people or retired from years and years of hard work and saved to support themselves. I'll shut up now. Before I get edited.
  • GTTinkerer, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I can understand why in some countries people don't have enough to eat as there just is not enough food but I can't understand why someone in a country that throws tons of food away,has food banks,church pantries and food stamps would not have enough to eat.

How about if you don't have a car or transportation and your elderly or disabled and the nearest grocery store is a mile away?

And yet "they" seem to be always yipping about obesity being a major health concern in both (Canada and U.S.A.) countries. Up here, a lack of food seems to have a lot to do with poor choices in how you spend the money you have

Oft times the hungry will choose what is filing over what is nutricious; ie. carbs. Most food banks stock what is subsidized and that is carbs, wheat corn soybeans, etc. Apples are the only fruit or veg. on the list of subsidies.

You just get that for the articles rite Rich ? : )

???

1 out of 6 don't seem rite to me. It's got to be less then that. I know lots of people and none that I know of are going hungry.

To qualify for this number you have to have been without food once in the last year. In Europe the number is 1 in 20. If no one you know is hungry, that means everyone is without somewhere else. We shouldn't assume everyone is in our circumstances, folks. And yes I can paint people with a stroke, too. That's why I was impressed by this story.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Living wage, See my post about the young lady divorced with a little boy trying hard to make ends meet on the wage just a little over minimum. buying gas & insurance to get to work, afford a run down apartment with one bed room buying food and child care when the boy isn't in school. EX also has a minimum wage job so child support is a joke to say the least. But at least she was keeping off the aid rolls so people didn't look down on her for using food stamps to help out with grocery's

No I will shut up also because of my views of the political rich protection government rich.

:D   Al

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 09:30 AM

How about if you don't have a car or transportation and your elderly or disabled and the nearest grocery store is a mile away?

You would die from starvation if that were the case.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 06:46 PM

My wife was complaining about gas prices. I said yeah they are high but think about this. Let's say you were making 8 dollars an hour. 80 hours a pay. About 500 dollars take home. You drive 30 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. You car gets 20mpg. Your car payment is 200 a month. You are spending 1/4 of your pay just get to work.

That leaves 695 dollars a month to live on. You can't live on that. Even if it was just you...rent in my area even in terrible areas is 500 to 800 a month.

I'm not going to line out my personal finances but we spend a lot of money just to have a home, electric, heat, water, food and medical. More than 695 dollars a month.

My point above was a lot of people make TERRIBLE choices regarding their finances. Some of the "richest" people I know are the poorest in cash. Their money all goes out to pay bills and use credit cards to buy food and gas.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 05, 2014 - 06:51 PM.

• GTTinkerer, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 04:36 AM

In Michigan we have what is called no fault insurance so you just have to have car insurance to get plates for your car so you can drive it. Then you pay a fee to the state called for lack of a better term NON insurance fee when you get your plate.

Today when you go to many a fast food joint you will see many people working there as well as wal Mart and other stores that should be retired. They probably were at one time too.

46% of Americans are livening below the poverty level. That's a fact Jack,

:D   Al

• GTTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:29 AM

46% of Americans are livening below the poverty level. That's a fact Jack,

Actually that is not a fact,most statistics show it to be around 15%

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:30 AM

For me, this magazine story isn't about politics and it isn't about statistics. It's about being aware of the folks around us and doing what we individually can to make life better for all of us, especially the young and elderly.

I'd be happy if the Mods would just close this thread, please!

• Bill56 said thank you

#15 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 06:40 PM

For me, this magazine story isn't about politics and it isn't about statistics. It's about being aware of the folks around us and doing what we individually can to make life better for all of us, especially the young and elderly.

I'd be happy if the Mods would just close this thread, please!

Don't get your speedo in a wad Rich.

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way. It sure wasn't my intention.

And when I asked if you just get the magazine to read the articles, that was a joke.
Ever hear someone that gets or looks at playboy say "I just get it for the articles" ?

Edited by NJKen, August 06, 2014 - 06:41 PM.