Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Owner Of A Case 444 With A Few Questions.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pwhite248 OFFLINE  

pwhite248
  • Member No: 60564
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:58 PM

First hello all, my name is Paul and I live in rual mid Missouri.  I just moved to the country and found a pretty good deal on this ol 79 444.  It ran when i got it and after a carb rebuild, sharpend blades and an oil change it runs and mows and moves great.  Seller parked it about 3 years ago and said he had a new clutch installed about 10 hr before he bought a Gravley Z turn.  My problem is shes a smoker, I used Lucas 30 wt plus with 5% Lucas oil stabilizer and it helped a little.  This winter I am planning a tear down and rebuild and had a few questions. 

I have found kits on ebay but am a little leary of a $90 kit any sugestions or thoughts?  Next I need engine rubber mounts, where can a guy find these?  Last but not least I read somewhere that the balancer gears should be replaced or removed, where can I find these or should I not bother?  Any help will be greatly apreciated thanks in advance.

100_1282.jpg

100_1279.jpg

100_1278.jpg

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 01:31 AM

Paul, welcome to the forum. I don't know about the quality of the 90.00 kit but one suggestion I would make is to get the engine torn down and inspect the bore. That will help you make sure that the piston is original standard and also if it needs bored oversize. You will need to know this before you order your piston and rings. I've heard of the balance gears being removed without any bad effects. I'm sure there will be others chime in.

• pwhite248 said thank you

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 03:36 AM

I'am with DougT on this one,find out what ya need before you buy it--There are several members on this forum that sell parts and also site sponsors.

I think you would get parts as good if not better from them,they know their stuff.And they woun't tear your eyes out on shipping.

Ebay scares me some times.

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:01 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
Nice Case!
You can get new motor mounts from MacMaster Carr.

Joe

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if your case has the balance gears or not. If it does it's probably a good idea to remove them. The JD 314 I have did not have them from the factory. It's possible other brands used that option as well. 

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:08 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 09:25 AM

First hello all, my name is Paul and I live in rual mid Missouri.  I just moved to the country and found a pretty good deal on this ol 79 444.  It ran when i got it and after a carb rebuild, sharpend blades and an oil change it runs and mows and moves great.  Seller parked it about 3 years ago and said he had a new clutch installed about 10 hr before he bought a Gravley Z turn.  My problem is shes a smoker, I used Lucas 30 wt plus with 5% Lucas oil stabilizer and it helped a little.  This winter I am planning a tear down and rebuild and had a few questions. 

I have found kits on ebay but am a little leary of a $90 kit any sugestions or thoughts?  Next I need engine rubber mounts, where can a guy find these?  Last but not least I read somewhere that the balancer gears should be replaced or removed, where can I find these or should I not bother?  Any help will be greatly apreciated thanks in advance.

IMO that is one of the best Case/Ingersoll tractors.  Late model Hi wheel Snap fast Kohler motor much cheaper on fuel and rebuild parts than the bigger onans.

Having said that it is still 35 years old i would take it a step at a time lots of parts in the hydro system may be getting tired, pump, drive motor, coupler, tcv, etc.  Just mean to say be careful where you put your time and $$ and you can have a good running tractor without breaking the bank.. 

I'd also change out the hydro oil put in some clean Rotella 15/40.  Can put that in the rear end too or 80/90 gear oil if you don't run in winter much.

If you don't have engine manual can go to Kohler Web site bottom of page find a K-series file for your year

Some guys only use Kohler parts, complete rebuild w/machine work around a grand.  You may just need a top end, some guys get by with a Stens kit and rebore, still need a good machinist, w/piston a few hundred bucks.  Stens may or may not still make K series parts top end kit usually around a hundred buks if can still find one

I'd try to find at least Stens grade parts, it is a lot of work & cleaning to rebuild the motor, i would avoid china parts

If your bore isn't real bad sometimes get by with a dingleberry hone and oversize rings, file the ends to spec.  All depends what you find in the bore.  Check w/feeler gage between piston and cylinder wall all around the bore make sure not egged out or will need to bore

Balance gears, if you have the motor apart should definitely remove.   They damped idle vibration for new sale but 40 years later can grenade the bottom end.  Bad risk imo not to remove if motor apart anyway

Good luck welcome to the site

#8 pwhite248 OFFLINE  

pwhite248
  • Member No: 60564
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks all, lots of good info.  I mowed about a hour and a half yesterday and the hydraulics and drive worked great.  I am planning on a Sept/Oct teardown and changing of fluids for winter use, I would like to have it back together and broke in before the snow flies.  I am a read the intructions first guy thus the early research.  I am a motorcycle/atv wrench with 25 years experience and have a degree in machine tool tech which means I know my way around a tool box.  That being said if I have learned one thing its don't be afraid to ask for help from someone thats done it before.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#9 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I'd recommend that you pull the head and de-carb the combustion chamber.
That gives You a look at what is going on in there.
It's recommended that this be done every few hundred hours.
But, it almost never gets done!
Get a head gasket, a new spark plug, and get a copy of the kohler manual.
Check the valve seats and piston slop, cylinder walls, and dimensions.
I don't think that You will need to change oil for winter use. I don't here in Maine.

Joe

#10 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I would definitely recommend removing the ballance gears, as far as parts go, there's a lot of people with parts. I would check with the sponsor's on this website, or a local mower shop that you trust.

#11 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Here is a good source for the motor mounts. I've used these on both my 222, and 444. The price is much better than anywhere else. http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a5aa4293d

Matt

• gopher, motobreeder and pwhite248 have said thanks

#12 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:45 PM

I just rebuilt a 14 hp Kohler last winter using after market parts from eBay. Had great success. A few tips, if it needs to be rebored get it done properly by a reputable machine shop. In fact that's why I rebuilt mine. The previous owner got a bad machining job done and it burnt oil badly. I believe the parts I used were stens parts. Personally I'm neutral on removing balance gears. On a 10 hp I rebuilt, I replaced bearings on them and left them in. They are tricky to get timed right. I see no reason to remove them but make SURE that the pins, bearings and gears are all in good shape. Otherwise you'd be asking for trouble. If they fail they'll probably wreck the whole engine. Good luck and welcome to the forum.