7 replies to this topic

#1 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while.
So i went to go use my tractor the other day and it wouldn't start, just a clicking sound from the solenoid. Tried tapping with a hammer. Nothing. So i talked to one of my friends, he said its the solenoid. So i ordered up a new solenoid a few days ago, amazon $15 later. So still waiting on it to come in the mail. Should be here Wednesday.
So anyways, i figured while im working on it, i should replace the plug and clean the carb. So im letting the carb soak in carb cleaner for a few days. And i got a new plug, this is the old plug ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407113523.365538.jpg
Is this just from running a little rich? Or is it getting to much oil?
Im not used to the older models with no oil dipstick. How to i know how much to put it? Or if i have to much? Or to little?
Oh, and here are a few pics of the garden cart i built, that with my new welding machine, lincoln weld pak hd, it s a little 110v flux core welder. Its great for what im doing and im sure that the welds will hold. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407113800.564745.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114522.144984.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114531.544836.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114550.311533.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114567.895419.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114589.911355.jpg
  • MH81 and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:35 PM

The black soot on the plug is a too rich setting on the carb.  If it were oil, your engine would be smoking blue smoke.  If you run the engine too rich for an extended time it will start smoking as the extra fuel is washing the oil off the cylinder wall. 

If your oil fill plug is down low on the engine base you fill it to the top of the hole.  If there is a tube going to the top of the engine you need a dipstick and yours must be missing.  Sorry,  I couldn't tell from your pictures which type of oil check you have. 

You can bypass your solenoid by using jumper cables directly to the starter.  If you are not sure how to do this please get someone to help you.  Sparks around batteries can do very bad things in a very short order.   I know this first hand! :(  The vapors in a battery are explosive!

I really like your Horse and the trailer is great!  Only problem  I see is it looks too good to use.... I wouldn't want to get it dirty.  :thumbs:

Best of luck!!!

• MH81, superaben and iZach98 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:37 PM

You try charging the battery or cleaning it's contacts? Did you try to jump the big terms on it to make direct contact and crank? Plug does look rich or oily, but would have to see run to make judgement really.  Some engines just have a plug you have to unscrew and oil is up to the hole. That would be at angle just above the pan on a kohler. OR, some small kohlers have a pipe plug up high on the block near cylinder fins you have to unscrew and has dipstick on it. If you have other engine, don't know. BUT, all engines have a place to check level and fill. Maybe there is a manual on this forum to look at and print? 

• iZach98 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Just noticed is Vertical shaft engine? Briggs probly? need manual to read.  That trailer is nice and heavy with 2x's used, but they might make it heavy to handle when not on the tractor?  Looks Durable for sure.

• iZach98 said thank you

#5 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:47 PM

The black soot on the plug is a too rich setting on the carb. If it were oil, your engine would be smoking blue smoke. If you run the engine too rich for an extended time it will start smoking as the extra fuel is washing the oil off the cylinder wall.
If your oil fill plug is down low on the engine base you fill it to the top of the hole. If there is a tube going to the top of the engine you need a dipstick and yours must be missing. Sorry, I couldn't tell from your pictures which type of oil check you have.
You can bypass your solenoid by using jumper cables directly to the starter. If you are not sure how to do this please get someone to help you. Sparks around batteries can do very bad things in a very short order. I know this first hand! :( The vapors in a battery are explosive!

I really like your Horse and the trailer is great! Only problem I see is it looks too good to use.... I wouldn't want to get it dirty. :thumbs:
Best of luck!!!

Some times when i start it a huge could of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. Then clears up, sometimes black smoke when choked almost to a stall. I think i know what your saying about the oil, i'll take some pics tomorrow and post em up. I know it dont have a dipstick. Just a short check and fill cap, like i said i'll take pics.
Thanks, ive yet to really put it to the test! I built this thing so i could beat the you know what out of it. And that so i could replace the 2x4's after they rot out or get destroyed.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#6 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:54 PM

You try charging the battery or cleaning it's contacts? Did you try to jump the big terms on it to make direct contact and crank? Plug does look rich or oily, but would have to see run to make judgement really. Some engines just have a plug you have to unscrew and oil is up to the hole. That would be at angle just above the pan on a kohler. OR, some small kohlers have a pipe plug up high on the block near cylinder fins you have to unscrew and has dipstick on it. If you have other engine, don't know. BUT, all engines have a place to check level and fill. Maybe there is a manual on this forum to look at and print?

Just noticed is Vertical shaft engine? Briggs probly? need manual to read. That trailer is nice and heavy with 2x's used, but they might make it heavy to handle when not on the tractor? Looks Durable for sure.

I checked the batt, fully charged. Ive already ordered up the solenoid a few days ago, and it was only $15 hopefully thats the problem.
Ive never adjusted the carb, i just drove it. Once i put it back on i'll have to readjust it of course. Shouldn't be to hard.
Its a briggs 10 hp 4 cycle vertical shaft engine. I do need a manual, anyone know where i can find a pdf and download? Or print?
Yep the trailer is built very solid, not easy at all without the tractor. Its got a very low center of gravity, so when im in the woods on the trails. This thing ain't gonna tip. The tractor might tip first. Lol dont think that would be to good.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#7 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Here is a 1977 tractor manual

http://www.wheelhors...ng-803672r1pdf/

These are the manuals listed by B&S for the engine but not identified on the operator manual cover 

http://www.wheelhors...1707-om-iplpdf/

Garry

Edited by GWest, August 04, 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while.
So i went to go use my tractor the other day and it wouldn't start, just a clicking sound from the solenoid. Tried tapping with a hammer. Nothing. So i talked to one of my friends, he said its the solenoid. So i ordered up a new solenoid a few days ago, amazon $15 later. So still waiting on it to come in the mail. Should be here Wednesday.
So anyways, i figured while im working on it, i should replace the plug and clean the carb. So im letting the carb soak in carb cleaner for a few days. And i got a new plug, this is the old plug attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407113523.365538.jpg
Is this just from running a little rich? Or is it getting to much oil?
Im not used to the older models with no oil dipstick. How to i know how much to put it? Or if i have to much? Or to little?
Oh, and here are a few pics of the garden cart i built, that with my new welding machine, lincoln weld pak hd, it s a little 110v flux core welder. Its great for what im doing and im sure that the welds will hold. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407113800.564745.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114522.144984.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114531.544836.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114550.311533.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114567.895419.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114589.911355.jpg

Nice trailer!

• iZach98 said thank you