• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Aaron gave me a chain saw this morning. It is a Stihl 210C with 16" bar. His Dad gave it to him, so he knew little about it. I brought it to the garage and looked it over. Checked things out and it had a nearly new air filter and plug in it. Had some gas in it, so I tried to start it. Shot a small squirt of carb cleaner in it and it fired off. Tried to keep it running, but it was stumbling bad. Drained that gas and put fresh in it. It fired right up and ran great. It didn't have a chain on it, so I took the one off Terry's saw. Perfect fit! I have 3 more chains for it now. I trimmed some trees out front with it and am very impressed. It has the 'no tool' chain adjuster on it, which is real nice. Here's some pics.

Image002.jpg     Image003.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Nice slicer.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Since Stihl introduced the no-tool bar adjustment i have never looked back, both the 290 farm boss and 018 has that, no looking that stupid little wrench.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I always thought all saws were more or less created equal until Dad bought the 036 many years ago. We haven't looked back since.

Very nice saw Kenny. The ONLY thing with the Stihls that don't have compression release is starting them again once warm, they will kick sometimes IMO. It's a little thing, especially if your ready.
  • KennyP, trowel and Trav1s have said thanks

#5 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Stihl makes great chainsaws.Thats all we buy anymore.You'll love that saw.We use ours hard and they hold up great.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:08 PM

I have a 1980 028 Sthil that still starts on first or second pull.  Only have had to refresh carb and replace some vib mounts.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I really like Sthil saws.  They last a long time and you can still get parts for the older ones.  That was pretty neat of Aaron to give you that. :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:07 PM

My in-laws have been Stihl dealers since the late sixties or early 70's. It's  been my experience that they picked an excellent product to sell and service. You should be very happy with that saw.  :thumbs:

• KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#9 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:35 PM

i have found stihl products to be excellent and i dont fool around with anything else, i have had trouble with many brands, some you cant even fix, i have 2 stihl saws and 5 weed wackers the largest the kombi 130 and a kombi 110 i highly recommend them as they fit many accessories but are a tad heavy, i am 6' 2" and the muffler heat has singed my arm so now i wear old soccar soak on my forarm, problem solved, but if your shorter it wont be a problem,  the problem is all the designers are short and its their revenge on us big guys, same as finding a coffee cup with a mans size handle, i had better stop now before the touches and pitch forks come out and they start looking for giants!!!!

• KennyP, JDBrian, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:39 AM

Thanks guys for all the comments! I don't use one very much anymore due the vibration on them. But I have to say this one was very easy on me for the little I used it yesterday.

• trowel and Cvans have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:12 AM

Kenny, as you are reading these saws are no joke, feed it 89 and 94 octane gas with Stihl oil mix and run it dry for winter lay ups and with the little use it will last you and long while.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:27 AM

Kenny, as you are reading these saws are no joke, feed it 89 and 94 octane gas with Stihl oil mix and run it dry for winter lay ups and with the little use it will last you and long while.

Our local Atwoods sells Stihl saws, so the oil mix will be no problem. Just getting the high octane in non-ethanol will be the challenge. 1 gallon of mix would be about all I would need for a season.

I have an 'old' big Stihl, but it hasn't ran in years. We used it back in the '70's cutting fire wood. Steve messed with it some, but couldn't get it to fire off. I may need to get into the points and see what they look like!

• trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:42 AM

Our local Atwoods sells Stihl saws, so the oil mix will be no problem. Just getting the high octane in non-ethanol will be the challenge. 1 gallon of mix would be about all I would need for a season.

I have an 'old' big Stihl, but it hasn't ran in years. We used it back in the '70's cutting fire wood. Steve messed with it some, but couldn't get it to fire off. I may need to get into the points and see what they look like!

You can feed it the ethanol laced fuel if needed, the higher octane does not have as much water the low grade has and is more ''dry'' for better lack of words, the high pro mix has the fuel stable already mixed in with it so the saw and gas can with the mix fuel will have a shelf life of a month an longer depending if you live in a high moisture area (lots of rain), check the back of the bottle and it should say.

As a safeguard if layed up for a bit i dump the fuel back into the gas can and add a drop of kerosine and shake, seems to help keep a while.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Nice saw Kenny. Good size with quite a bit of power but not heavy. I haven't seen many of that model around Kenny. It's one of the newer ones i think. I have a MS250 but mine isn't the no tool chain adjust. I do find that these saws need much less adjustment than the cheapy Sears saw I had before. 

• KennyP said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Kenny, Stihl makes the best saws IMHO. That is why I only use their brand of weed-eater and leaf blower. I have always had GREAT service out of all my Stihl products. Very nice gift !! :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you