#32 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Josh, check out Mh81 post on his Sears SS/12 he got hone today. This is the kind of deals that are out there, you just have to keep looking..

http://gardentractor...4483/#post42810

read down through it, you'll like it

I thinks the more i look the better deals i find but a lot need a lot of work. But i guess that is half the fun. I am getting more comfortable all the time in telling whether something is worth putting money into or not.

#33 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Well...as everyone will say, it's subjective... But, if we are to say the best "garden tractor" in the field, I would have to say that hands down would be the Power King line. I mean, it's dang near a CUT, but still a garden tractor. Hydraulics, 3PH, 16-24" rear tires and even the option of dual transmissions and dual brakes? Hands down the top garden tractor that is still running a normal horizontal motors.
Next in line (IMHO) would be maybe a 110 John Deere (old style not the L110) I say this because it's really a good tractor and design mirrors many others. However, the customer support and parts availability wins this one hands down. It's not the biggest, nor the best, but John Deere and the aftermarket is there big time.
After that, I would go with a Cub Cadet much for the same reason... There is a HUGE following for everything from parts to knowledge for them.

Personally, I like the Masseys.... but looks has a LOT to do with that. Although, the "support staff" seems to know the tractors inside and out more than other brands from what I see. Maybe it's because we have to do it all on our own with very little support! LOL

#34 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Yeah dad had a 1816 i think is the model. like the power king but big and awkward not very agile but tough.

#35 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yep, my dad has a 1614 with a FEL and cab. Still a garden tractor, but serious ground engagement !

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Have to say, the Power King/Economy/Jim Dandy tractors were & still are a superb lineup of tractors!!

#37 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 09:17 AM

To me size is the limiting factor here, the bigger and more importantly heavier GT are going to do better with plows and such. I would say the JD 420/430 or the big dog Cases like the 446.