#16 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 11:13 PM

This was my one and only Jeep. It was a 1991 which was the first year for fuel injection and a good heater. It also was the last of the smaller roll bars which I really like when using the bikini top and half doors. It drove like a dream even on ice and snow but the wheels and tires were stock. The only thing I didn't like about it was it was an automatic. But after pushing snow the first winter I came to love it because it was much faster than with a stick.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 30vnkht.jpg

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Jeeps are great vehicles in general, I've owned 3 Grand Cherokees, a small Cherokee, a Grand Wagoneer and a J-10, our daughter had 2 Wranglers and a Grand Cherokee, our son currently drives his third Wrangler Unlimited, after 3 Wranglers and a CJ-7. They are great in the bad elements and not a bad daily driver.

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Insured and on road today!  I took out console and cleaned up that mess, all sticky and junk under it.  Was working with top some and removed sides easy by zipper. Rear window zipper not so easy to use. Owner's manual says use soap and water on them with brush to clean off dirt. OK, so did that some. Have waxed it now to see if better. Want to lube the zipper is such a thing. I have waxed coat zippers with just parafin or candle rubbed on them, but was wondering if anything more soft/grease like to put on, that will dry so not to collect dust. Got the front plastic trim cover for over the sway bar in front of grill, now on and looking nice. Also got the tow hooks that bolt to bumper top, on and looking neat!  With the backrest for my new Harley coming today too, was like Christmas or something. Hoping to get the top down tommorrow just to see how it folds. Got manual today and shows how to do that. Kind of a complicated series of steps, not a quick-minute drop really. Still need to do more cleaning of inside with the mud spots all over in there. Did get dash wiped down and is nicer now.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#19 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 861 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 05:22 AM

I always used Moisture displacing lube by outers on the zippers. Wrap the zipper pull tabs with rubber bands to keep them from making so much noise rattling.

:D   Al

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Use graphite on the zippers, works like a champ.  What kind of back rest did you get?  I just put a Mustang (brand) seat on mine and love it.

#21 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:53 PM

got some wax called string snot or something like that. Was a green was for bow strings, in a dispenser much like a chap lip dispensor. Little softer than those, but still waxy. Ran zips back and forth a few times. Not so sure much diff tho. Those windows seemed easy to get off, but what a pain to put back in!  Taking top down is Really not a quick do on these, even longer to put up!

ON that backrest, was a real harley one for sportsters. I was going to use those bottoms on my fender mounts and had a nicer back rest already to use, but NOT!  The nicer one is wider for those diff mounts, so had to use the one that came with the base mount. It didn't have a third bolt provision like mine does, kinda a bumber.  So now modified it by using the lower two bolt straps from both backrests, drilled a  hole in center of the one, and bolted that to the pad. BUT, again....it slides down. SO, back to shope for rubber to slip over ends of the strap, and two wood screws to go into back of pad thru the old holes. Didn't work that great, was better, but still pushed down. Bottomed out on back support, still off the seat, so guess good for not. Might have to buy another if I see one, but have to keep eye on the width. 

#22 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Painted up the plastic fender flares on front and now mounted. The paint kinda roughed the plastic, but looks OK, just like those plastics do on cheaper model cars/trucks.  New signals in them and looks pretty good.

Attached Thumbnails

• z Jeep flares on 2014-08-13 002.jpg
  • z Jeep flares on 2014-08-13 003.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, August 15, 2014 - 07:23 AM.

• Cvans and toppop52 have said thanks

#23 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 02:36 AM

Nice rig... Love the TJ.. This was my 95 wrangler..  I'm 6 foot 7 in my work boots..  Tossed the leaf springs. Built a all coil suspension with control arms similar to a TJ. High Pinion currie center section 9 inch ford outta a old car. 456 gears full spool rear. detroit lock front with manual hubs. 4 to one low in the factory tcase. 240 hp out of the 4 litre engine at the back wheels. Drove from Edmonton Alberta to Arizona in that pig.MyHunny.jpg

• Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks