#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Just bought a Jeep TJ Wrangler needing work. PO said it was all-over road when driving. It needed  a Sway bar, that was gone, and the other bar link from frame to axle, "Panhard" ?  PO gave me that and I changed, had bad ball joint. I now have sway bar in it too. Put all new brake lines in, and rest of brakes look recent. Took for drive. At first the Power Steering was not working well and kinda sticky. Was hard to go straight easy, kinda grabby. Went back and put in fluid, way low, and all better, and drives much nicer. But, still seems to be kind of a wandering feel to it. This thing has short wheelbase and kinda big tires. Rides a little rough and choppy because of that, I guess?  SO, I've never had/driven a small Jeep before. Is this just kind of how they feel?  I had a cherokee and it was nice  to drive, but was longer wheelbase too. It did seem to be better handling after driving for awhile, but was kinda keeping me on my toes at say 55 to 60 speeds. This is on bumpy floating country roads which do throw cars around some, so wonder if just small size is real problem?  I'll have to try it on a flatter road maybe, see how it acts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Y Jeep and cab 2014-07-22 001.jpg
  • Y Jeep and cab 2014-07-22 003.jpg

• Arti said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 07:31 AM

I know there is a syndrome with the Jeeps, "death wobble"  they shake and float every where. Jeeps will float just due to short wheel base and lighter weight. The pan hard bar goes sideways from frame to axle, that HAS to be in god condition as it keeps axle centered side to side under Jeep. 

Sway bar's are a major need to for these in good handling. 

You really don't have much larger than stock tires from pics, throw some 33 or 35's on there and it will be a hand full

My buddy has an '03,. 4" lift with 33x12.50's, it can almost be scary sometimes. 

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I know this is minor but you didn't mention checking your front end alignment. I've never owned a Wrangler but have rode in them...couldn't even hold a conversation. I've had Cherokee's & love them but you can't compare the two. Like you said the short wheel base is roughaving in many ways.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:00 AM

I remember my friends jeep as being very (over) responsive to any flaw in the road or movement of the wheel.
They weren't designed for 75 and flat from what I remember.

#5 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ya Jeeps can kinda be odd feeling at first, I have 3 now a GC, a C, and a new addition a CJ5.  The CJ will not ride as nice as the C and the C will not ride as nice as the GC.  They feel tippy, tend to wander a bit especially if your use to r+p steering, I had an older C that no one liked to drive because they said it wandered,, seemed normal to me but they all were use to r+p steering. 

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:54 AM

I've owned a CJ5 & CJ7.   As said, the hard bar MUST NOT have any wear/play, or you will wander side to side.  Wider tires always give the wandering thing.  VERY important to have the toe-in checked.  Even when all is spot-on, it mostly takes driving it & getting accustomed to their quirks.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:59 AM

This is going to go against the grain a little bit, my YJ was a very nice driving rig and had no tendency to wonder. Even on ice it had no tendency to swap ends. My Son in-laws CJ on the other hand was a death trap on slippery roads. 

As stated above, if all worn parts have been replaced it is time for an alignment. 

• Team_Green said thank you

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:26 AM

ITS A JEEP THING

Yea they wonder kinda like if someone in the back seat rocking it from side to side. the lower arms on the front axle bushings sometimes go bad too they dont make factory replacement bushings so you can buy adjustable ones.  once you drive a JK youll never go back

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1236.JPG

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:46 AM

I wonder how much wear there is in the control arm bushings on the multi-link suspension?  How many miles?  Been in the rust belt, right?

I need to replace the upper/lower fronts and rear upper/lower on my '04 GC as it feels a bit loose.

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:58 AM

I remember my friends jeep as being very (over) responsive to any flaw in the road or movement of the wheel.
They weren't designed for 75 and flat from what I remember.

The last older jeep I drove was a square headlight jeep. It felt so strange at 55. Any dip or roll in the road would cause it to feel like it was going all over the place.

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 04:45 PM

The toe in is likely off, the TJ, while not as advanced as the very newest Unlimiteds and such, is miles ahead of the old CJ and YJ, if the parts are fresh and the alignment is correct, they drive fine. Straight axle wonder has always been an issue, even in early Grand Cherokee's, but a proper front end will cure that.

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:48 AM

My first was a 77 CJ 5 really liked it but kept wanting to get a hard top and the easy way was to just buy a 1979 CJ 7 with a 304. Big mistake getting the 304 and is wasn't much more power full than the 258 6. Also the posit tack limited slip was a deadly joke. Hit a bump with one wheel and the other would pull so you drove very very slow on ruff roads. Got rid of it and got a 85 with the 258 six and no limited slip. A dream to drive even fast on gravel roads. Short wheel base equals quick steering to the point you just breath on the wheel to make minor adjustments. Make sure the steering link shock is still working properly to as that helps dampen steering.

scan0005-2-1.jpg

:D   Al

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 05:32 PM

OK, took it in to shop to bleed brakes. While there had it greased and looked over by there  align mechanic. He says needs new steering box. Is leaking, which I knew, and the shaft wiggles around alot, he thinks that is the problem. Ordered a rebuilt one today and will be dropping that in next few days. Hope no issues with that, looks like lots of room to work there. Brakes work wonderful now, but did still feel little tough to steer and wandering a bit. This thing is really being a Money Pit right away!  Shop also noted the bad u-joint in the driver's side axle in front and that I had changed the right one. Yep, knew about that one.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:54 PM

New Gear in tonight!  First put in what fluid I had, not much, and ran it. NO action or move at all in steer wheel....Oops!  Cross fingers and went to store for fluid. Put that in, started up and movement! Little noisy going each way at first. Put more fluid in and turned great, went for a drive. Seems slightly stiff, but smooth, no more quick wandering on road. More I turned, better it got. Think I'm ready for the road now. Insurance tommorow and will be trying it around home and to work! Gotta get the fender flares sanded and painted and on in front, and a good washing inside and out and should be OK for awhile. Not so neat with plastic rear window being all foggy, can't see clearly with mirror. Sideveiw mirrors  OK, just not as big as my truck that I am used too. Anything magic that cab be put on plastic windows to try to clear them Up?

#15 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:12 PM

if you wax the windows with a hand wax the clean right up