Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Power King In Pieces, Out Of The Darkness.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 07:51 AM

These early Economy's will cause everyone to give wrong answers as there so many changes even during a model year.It's amazing how many seasoned knowledgeable people on these tractors will look at  one and state that they never seen or knew something about them.

I have been dealing with Economy's and selling parts for 15 year and just discovered last year that there 9 and 11 bolt pattern bull gear covers.

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:14 AM

That's a new one on me too, have a Ford model A rear axle sitting in the field right now, wondering if that is a 9 or 11 bolt ?

Always something new to learn, what i like the most about this fourm, it keeps me open and willing, also the people here are great and guilded by some of the best moderators ever.

Makes it so me and others can stand corrected and not worry about a full bashing from the ''corrector'', learn new things from those willing to teach with a steady mindful hand and enjoy projects like classics new PK which i have to confess, is starting to grow on me :D

Anyways, raining right now so i am back inside until it passes, ....stupid pop up showers, get's old quick, i'll stop rambling now and go hide in a hole someweres as so not to :hijacked: from Classic's PK.

• olcowhand and classic have said thanks

#18 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Well said Trowel, thanks. The rain has been a real pain this year and it's been like a rain forest here lately.
  • trowel said thank you

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, PK's and Speedex tractors always have something that throws the NORM of them off at any year/time.  Think some times they just used parts on hand to finish models that made difference. ON that hood and fenders, Lucky find of one good shape. The cut-outs in them can be diff depending on wether  you have Briggs or Wisconsins on early ones, not sure what Kohler's had if any. The gas tanks usually setting there, mounted on engine.  jrhaines on ebay has lots of parts, good prices, knows the rigs. You can buy from him with confidence.  Make sure to join the Yahoo Groups PK forum also. Little harder to navigate now, but lots of info and fellas know stuff too. There is also a seperate Economy group that you can find there, some of same guys, but more into early models then.

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#20 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks glgrumpy, I appreciate it. Yesterday was a good day! I was planning to restore the old hood, but it needs tons of hours of work. The guy I got the hood from threw in a pair of fenders and an extra brake lever. This hood has the same cut outs as mine, so I got lucky and I'm still blown away at how it all worked out! The previous owner stripped most of the paint off and started priming some parts, so this will make it a bit easier to get it ready for paint. Everything seems pretty solid, but I'll have to reline the brake bands, replace some seals, and get the engine up to snuff. I'm planning on using this tractor to haul my firewood out this year.
  • trowel said thank you

#21 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Here are some pictures of a 1958 Power King ser 5886. It has the Briggs and Stratton engine, starts on the first pull.  Manual lift  all it does is push snow and dirt so the rear hitch is fastened solid. Notice the square tube frame of a Power King, not the channel frame of a Jim Dandy. It has the Ford differential and PK drop gear boxes. Brake actuators are not visible  but they are rods from the differential forward one on each side of the transmission.  The left brake is probably like new because it is impossible to work the clutch and the left bake at the same time.

who knows 019.JPG    who knows 020.JPG

who knows 022.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• who knows 021.JPG

• Alc, trowel and classic have said thanks

#22 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Here are some pictures of a 1958 Power King ser 5886. It has the Briggs and Stratton engine, starts on the first pull.  Manual lift  all it does is push snow and dirt so the rear hitch is fastened solid. Notice the square tube frame of a Power King, not the channel frame of a Jim Dandy. It has the Ford differential and PK drop gear boxes. Brake actuators are not visible  but they are rods from the differential forward one on each side of the transmission.  The left brake is probably like new because it is impossible to work the clutch and the left bake at the same time.

attachicon.gifwho knows 019.JPG   attachicon.gifwho knows 020.JPG

attachicon.gifwho knows 022.  

Would it be possible to get some pics of the brake rods? 

#23 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Brakes on each side of trans???  New one to me. The rods usually went to the left side,but hooked to a pipe that pivots on a shaft and has pedal on right side welded to it. Both brakes should be side by side on right side??? They are small pedals and many times big feet can't push one at time if wanted. Maybe someone didn't like that problem and added pedal to left??

#24 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:13 AM

Brakes on each side of trans???  New one to me. The rods usually went to the left side,but hooked to a pipe that pivots on a shaft and has pedal on right side welded to it. Both brakes should be side by side on right side??? They are small pedals and many times big feet can't push one at time if wanted. Maybe someone didn't like that problem and added pedal to left??

I had several with the same brake setup as that one.

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:25 AM

attachicon.gifwho knows 019.JPG   attachicon.gifwho knows 020.JPG

attachicon.gifwho knows 022.JPG

Thanks Dave, that's a very nice tractor you got there.

#26 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Five minutes to take the pictures and 2 days to upload them.

104_0414.JPG 104_0415.JPG 104_0417.JPG

finally found the brake pictures in the deep recesses of the computer.   Nice how the seat comes off so I could get pictures of the brakes. It's all original except the new springs I put on to retract the brakes. Looks kinda flimsy and it is but since I live on flatland, I probably will leave it as it is.

• Alc and Username have said thanks

#27 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Five minutes to take the pictures and 2 days to upload them.

attachicon.gif104_0414.JPGattachicon.gif104_0415.JPGattachicon.gif104_0417.JPG

finally found the brake pictures in the deep recesses of the computer.   Nice how the seat comes off so I could get pictures of the brakes. It's all original except the new springs I put on to retract the brakes. Looks kinda flimsy and it is but since I live on flatland, I probably will leave it as it is.

Thanks you just answered a question I have had for 3+ years. I could never find out what brakes were ever on my 52' PK til now. Here are some before refurbish pics.52 brakes1.jpg 52 brakes2.jpg 52 brakes3.jpg 52 brakes4.jpg  You can see the pivot rod and the bolts in the end of the brake rods. 

• Alc and classic have said thanks