Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

New Rifle For Vermin Hunting, Need Ideas.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'm getting low on .22 ammo, and I'm not going to pay $100 for a box of 500 from a some idiot trying to scalp people. I can't find them locally. Been checking stores weekly as best I can.

I've noticed several places having .22-250 rounds available. I'm interested in getting another rifle currently for vermin hunting. I heard this is an ok round for coyote and even acceptable for deer hunting. It seems a bit small to me but for the few that seem to use it they really like it.

I have had some interest in a bolt action .223 as well. These rounds do sell out but not as fast as others it seems. It's a little over kill for a striped gopher but would be a good one for raccoons, coyote, and deer hunting.

I'm open too suggestions beyond this as well. I prefer bolt action to semi automatic and I don't want any at-15 styled rifles. ( I have nothing against them, just don't like them for hunting) I want something that is more all purpose. I'm not interested in getting another shotgun either.

I currently have a 7.62x54 rifle, and for vermin hunting my shoulder can't take it repeatedly. I can do about 5shots and then I'm sore. More then that and I get a nasty bruise.

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,686 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:59 PM

I suggest you read up on the Mini 14, which uses the .223 rounds. And there is this from the Terms of Service if anyone wants to squabble:

Discussions of politics, religion or firearms will be removed without any reason.