• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:23 PM

while dismanteling my jim dandy found one axle bolt was broke off in housing. other bolt on same side was hard turning. kept lubing. ended up breaking this one square off flush with housing. think i mite be able to get this out, but not sure of other one  broke off inside looking jaged.and brake wheel was missing on other side with some shaft missing where set screw holds on. any thoughts on fix repair or replacement. thanks bill

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 05:46 AM

You might try posting some pictures , I can't think of which  bolts your talking about , Al

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 12:57 PM

:ditto: No broken bolts are fun. Some you win, some not. Times you can seperate the parts and enough sticks out to grab with other tools. This where the Bull gears bolt to the axle ends?  Usually allen head bolts? OR, is this the main four bolt mounts below on inside of bull case to frame?  Those are all loose from inside and can be gotten by removing the bull case covers.

#4 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:53 PM

:ditto: No broken bolts are fun. Some you win, some not. Times you can seperate the parts and enough sticks out to grab with other tools. This where the Bull gears bolt to the axle ends?  Usually allen head bolts? OR, is this the main four bolt mounts below on inside of bull case to frame?  Those are all loose from inside and can be gotten by removing the bull case covers.

yeah its the for bolts that got through the frame into the case . took the gear cover off to see if bolt threads went thru. not on ths one. ill get it done sooner or later. maybe some pics later on. thanks bill

#5 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:24 PM

finaly got some time to get the bolts out. welded a washer and nut on broken bolt  that still had  end to work with. and other had to drill out and retap. saw the weld on nut idea on youtube. billbolt fix on axle mount.jpg bolt fix on axle mount.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#6 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Good to hear you worked it out, I would have been up a creek.  Side question for you.  What type of welding do you do?  I've been looking into trying to learn for home repair and projects and from what I'm finding out, it looks like stick welding is the most versatile.  I also know it is not the easiest to learn though.

#7 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:14 PM

learned gas, stick and heliarc in school shop years ago. do mostly mig now. stick and mig probably the eazyest to learn. bill