20 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:00 PM

So I bought a walker mower with 3cyc Kubota diesel cheap, I know it's not a GT, but I wanted it for the grass collection system, a power bagger for the 318 was going to be a pain to find.

Anyway, I've got a weird problem with it. It likes to smoke when it's not under load. Just a light grey smoke, flip the PTO on and goes away. It's like it's over fueling except when under load. Power is not a problem, doesn't seem to be losing anti freeze.

I checked the air filter, doesn't look to bad, but thought I would replace it.

Just don't have any experience with diesels, need some thoughts / ideas.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I am not very experienced with diesels but I would suspect the injector timing and would also replace the fuel filter. Good Luck, Rick

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 07:11 PM

More then likely the injector nozzle is dirty or air is finding it's way into the fuel system and/or the fuel filter just needs replacing.

Start with replacing the fuel filter first, check the fuel tank to injector pump line for cracks/leaks and run the engine without the air filter attached for a few to see if it continues, if so then you will start at the injectors and work your way back to the pump.

Hope fully this is not a sign of wet staking, describe how the engine starts, the smoke it makes during start up, for how long and how it revs up and down.

Edited by trowel, August 02, 2014 - 07:13 PM.

• Jehtro and superaben have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Before i forget again, before you do anything, find the manual for that model Yanmar engine and look at the valve lash, on used diesels a lot of the time the injector nozzle just needs to be cleaned, sealing washer replaced and valves/rocker lash re-gaped.

Yanmars are usually high speed diesels and like most high speed diesels (2800 rpm and up) with a valve lash of .008 and .008 exhaust/intake.

Edited by trowel, August 02, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the tips, the startup is for plug it until the indicator is red hot, usually put it half throttle, then there's a shot of black smoke, clears immediately after starting.

The throttle response is quick, up and down, no issues there.

I'll take another look today and post some pics, check those fuel lines and try a test with out the filter.
  • trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:35 AM

I should be back this evening, while your there check the valve lash, that is how you adjust the timing and power on a diesel besides the injector blow down, hopefully it is something simple.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Trowel has given you some very good advice. I wouldn't hesitate to follow his suggestions. 

Let us know how it goes.

• trowel said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Our 120hp Massey 1130 had the same light gray smoke at idle (heavier when cold), with FULL power & no other issues.  A good cleaning & new set of tips on the injectors & all was fine.

Jesse's (trowel) advice is golden!

• trowel said thank you

#9 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Are injector tips hard todo? I have no idea about diesel, but hey what better way to learn right?

Didn't get to far with it yesterday, put the gunk to it, looks to be 20 years of build up. The engine tag became visible is a Kubota d600, blew out the air filter ( new one on order) and the air pre cleaner,

Brother in law put some diesel conditioner in, seemed to start clearing a bit yesterday.

Once again fairly easy start, no power loss, no smoke under load.

Here's what i started with

https://www.dropbox....ts26uhf/022.jpg

Edited by Jehtro, August 04, 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Dad always redone the injector tips on our tractors, but it's not that difficult.  The main thing is get & keep things clean, clean, clean.

• trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Dainel is right, cleaning it usually always solves the problem, my Hesston smoke light grey, so does my Lister Petter, i adjusted the valves so it does that and burns clear under load, i also burn red kerosine, the Lister Petter head and injector is modified to run like that, the Hesston is similar with bowl in piston combustion chamber, my Yanmars and Shibaura are not, Kubota and Yanmar are more or less the same, Jap engines, unlike my other diesels from the UK they can develop cylinder bore glazing quickly with dirty injectors.

To test, unscrew the injector, look at the manual before you remove it so you are sure, as you pull out the injector look at the tip, there should be a copper or aluminum sealing washer, if there is non the it is still in the head and should be left in there, if it is on the injector, carefully remove it and put back on after.

Hold the injector about 5 inches above a white paper or cardboard and crank over the engine one revolution until the injector fires, you should see a star or more liken to a flower peddle spray on the paper, if not then it is clogged and needs cleaning. Do not put your finger under the injector when it fires, high pressure will hurt your fingers.

Cleaning the injector is simple, for a Kubota they should come apart in four sections, the manual for a Kubota B600 will show how it comes apart, the nozzle can be cleaned with torch tip wire. You have to be careful as not to widen the holes, just clean the junk out of it and soak in kerosine or degreaser along with the injector body, just like cleaning the jets on a carb.

Make sure each injector is labled for which hole in the head it belongs to and to which injector body it belongs to, same with the sealing washers, swapping injectors and injector parts will compress the sealing washers different when torqued to specs and will require all new sealing washer put in to start again.

As Dainel stated, keep everything clean, clean, clean.

Edited by trowel, August 04, 2014 - 08:02 PM.

• Jehtro said thank you

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Odd one. the Yanmar in the Golf cart wanted to miss a little bit until completely warmed up. Marvel helped but didn't completely cure it. The last time I fueled up I used premium diesel and the miss went completely away. Must put some good stuff in that premium.  :D

• Jehtro and trowel have said thanks

#13 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Spoke to a diesel guy at the local tractor dealer, he wants me to run the conditioner through it for awhile and see what it does. I'm doing that, but I still think I might be into a bad chunk of fuel. Great advice on here, lots to consider.

Really enjoying the diesel running sounds, just really different than a gaser.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#14 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:24 AM

The Diesel conditioner seems to be clearing this more and more, I don't know for sure, but it seems to be getting better.

Maybe its just wishful thinking ,

Wish I knew how many hours on in, but the wiring and general cleanup contuines.

The degreaser revealed the engine model number, didn't notice it until now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cleanedup.jpg
  • image.jpg

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Boy that sure is a snug fit! Glad to hear you're making progress.

• trowel said thank you