• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:58 AM

This is some thing I stopped doing after the second one I did. Just to much of a royal PIA laying down the tarps and tape so it doesn't move. People should realize that honey is sticky and not always capped at this time of year. Proplis is also sticky we call it bee glue and is hard to get off stuff.

A week ago I get a call from a fellow who wanted me to remove bees from his house that was partly built. I told him I would take a look and let him know if it was some thing I wanted to do. The house is one of those Geo homes where they put up foam blocks and spray concrete inside and out with rerod and water heat pipes imbedded in side.

The fellow had a good start on the house and his work transferred him to another state 7 years ago and he recently retired so wants to get back to work finishing the place.

The bees found a tiny entrance hole about 20 feet up where a door is going to be. They have been there about 3 years from what I know about bees and the comb. Since no one is living in the house and I could do the job from out side I told him I would do it. Whew is this ever turning into a major job that is wearing me out. Since they are so high up I am working off a ladder hanging on and holding 25 feet of vacuum hose to remove all the bees I can. then I cut up sections of the comb that has brood and eggs in it carry it down the ladder to rubber band into frames. That is a lot of climbing. First day it started sprinkling after 4 plus hours of work so we stopped for the day. Rained so hard on the way home the wipers barely kept up with it and lots of people were pulled off the road.

Second day yesterday after about 3 1/2 hours the thunder and lighting was cracking so close I felt the vibes in the ladder. Not wanting to be a lighting rod on a alum ladder we again pack it in for the day.

I have removed 15 frames of eggs and brood so far. there were at least 10 capped queen cells I removed also many cells that were in different stages of development. I think they were getting set to swarm as I found eggs which hatch in 3 days.

I have got 5 5 gallon pails of comb with uncapped honey along with empty cells. I expect to get at least 3 more pails.

Wax is good I get $5.00 a pound for it.

Not Going to go work on it today as they are once again forecasting rain. that will be rain for 5 days in a row. Sunday is supposed to be according to this mornings weather report be clear.

Pictures in the future since it is so high that is about all Kare can do is take pictures, feed me energy bars and keep water handy. Gid I mention it is hot and humid in Michigan in July and worst when the storms keep rolling in daily.

:D    Al

• olcowhand, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:16 AM

I've seen a few bee removal videos on the internet.  It looks like a lot of work and seems to require a lot of knowledge.  Don't think I could do it, but it is interesting.

You should grab some pics or video for us.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:32 AM

That is one big colony it sounds like.  10 capped queen cell?  Woooo Hoooo!!!!  It is definitely a survivor colony too.  I have a few hives.  I don't rob all their honey, just some.  I never feed, never treat, never sugar dust for mites.  Have I lost hives?  Sure.  But the ones that survive, just keep going and going.  I had 5 hives last fall.  I lost 3 over winter.  In July, I sold 2 hives and still have 3.  I know, that math doesn't appear to add up, but it does.  I never had to chase a swarm, they were just moving into dead outs.  LOL 

A few years ago, I would have wanted to tackle a cut out as you are doing, but I couldn't do all that now.

• tinbender7 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Got this job finished up Sunday afternoon 16 hours total spent. 14 queen cells we cut out with over 16 frames of eggs and brood. Ended up with 3 double deep strong colonies of bees also.

This is the bee vac set up I use only with a double deep. Suction hose is 1' clear 20 feet attached to 10 feet of 1 1/2 clear.

110822_3626.jpg

I can use a 2HP vac or a 5HP vac with the adapters and adjustable vac port I have in the slider.

110822_3623.jpg

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, August 04, 2014 - 07:56 AM.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Finally able to get the pictures uploaded.

This Geo home is all concrete with rebar all thru it then covered with a rubberized cover.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2147_zps81c465

The one entrance the bees used the main one is where the phone line cable is anchored.

2014Jul31_theirentrance_zps9d8dda8a.jpg

Behind this cover is a 6 inch space where a door was going to go when the home was complete.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2150_zps65efcb

Under the rubber cover is a 1/4 inch layer of concrete.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2151_zps49d84e

Got the vac hose up there to suck up bees coming and going as I am opening it up.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2152_zps7e4a61

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Finally open to where I can get to the comb and suck the bees off it big time.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2153_zps6bac79

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2154_zps95867a

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2155_zps2d817a

Hot and humid work, not to mention the up and down on the ladder with brood need a water break.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2158_zpsc4402b

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2159_zps337e2f

Five of the capped queen cells and drone (male bees) brood.

2014Jul31_Domehomeremoval_2160_zpse9516c

Smallqueencells_zps42c4a963.jpg

:D    Al

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Rain on day one ended the job before it was finished. We were able to pack up while it was a light sprinkle, rained so hard on the way home the wipers barely could keep up.

Day two we barely got started and the thunder and lighting was getting closer and closer. I was able to suck up about 2 hours worth of bees is all.

This is what was left on day 3.

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2168_

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2169_

Also on day three all the brood comb was gone and rubber banded in frames. So I hoisted a 5 gallon pail up and cut comb and put it in the pail honey and all. Once one was full I lowered it down so Kare could hook up a second and third pail.

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2170_

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2171_

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2172_

Cleaned out, except a little scraping.

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2174_

2014Aug03_Removal1Day3-finishingup_2173_

Since it took 3 days I took a new hive body each day. we ended up with 3 new colonies and got the queen on day 3. They made queens from the cells I saved for the other two. They are all doing well on our last inspection a week ago.

This is how I rubber band brood comb in the frames. Old tractor tubs make the best rubber bands.

Bandingbroodandeggsinframe.jpg

• EricR and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.