8 replies to this topic

#1 stephenswisher1 OFFLINE  

stephenswisher1
  • Member No: 56240
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:40 AM

DSCN2267.JPG DSCN2264.JPG

I have a 1969 Power King Economy with a 60" belly mower. I finally get it running well but I can't mow more than 200 yards without the PTO belt stretching so much it becomes useless. I haven't even been able to cut my yard, much less my paddocks. I'm buying 86" X 1/2" Kevlar belts. Is there some reason this would keep happening?

Edited by stephenswisher1, August 02, 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Do you know the original part number for the belt?

I can cross reference the PK number for you to see if that is actually the correct belt.

I would say it looks more of a linkage/tension issue to me.......

• stephenswisher1 said thank you

#3 stephenswisher1 OFFLINE  

stephenswisher1
  • Member No: 56240
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:25 AM

I've actually had to try a number of different belts. It seems this size is pretty close. The model # has been painted over so we had to guess when speaking with Indiana.This is the 3rd size I've tried and it was working for a while but stretches WAY too fast. It seems more likely that it's a tension issue. How would I adjust that?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Kevlar belts do not stretch so more than likely you need to inspect your tensioning system.

I dont know anything about these machines so I cant help you on adjustments.....

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 10:31 AM

It looks to me like it goes from the clutch, through a 90 degree mule/idler set up, and then around the center spindle? Is there another alignment/idler before the deck? Either way, I would remove the belt and check each pulley for resistance when spinning. Check for any lateral or tipping motion. Check the center spindle for any slop. Check the outer spindles for resistance. If that checks out, check the linkages of the mower deck. Is there any way that is flexing when you're in motion?

This is really reaching, but how are the motor mounts, specifically the rear ones?

I don't own a PK, just throwing stuff out there.

Very nice PK, by the way.

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 10:33 AM

As far as tension adjustment, what is the spring loaded rod on the left side (as pictured) of the mule drive do? Does that slide out the mule pulleys?

#7 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Most GT's and lawn mowers in general are pretty same.  You shouldn't be able to move it more than 1/2" with 10lbs of pressure from the longest stretch of the belt.  Kevlars will not stretch like standard "black" belts that is correct.  However, once you put any belt on, a good rule of thumb is to recheck the tension after the initial first use.  Some of my commercial mowers have had drastic changes even with Kevlar belts.  Not so much stretching, but they will reseat themselves.

#8 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 10:39 AM

this may help you with the correct belt.  There is a full parts list with numbers here.  Hope this helps.

http://powerkingtractorbarn.com/

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 05:04 PM

PK has spring one side of mule drive and the tensioner on other pulley, other side of mule drive. IF any of those pulleys and the linkages are tight or worn, you have belt problems. Other issue is size of deck makes big draw, depending on what you are cutting. AND, of course the spindles and idlers on deck must be loose also. There are grease fittings on most older spindles, think maybe these are on bottom under deck and may need to clean grass waste away to see them. AND, sometimes they are stick and need replaced to get grease in.  Is this the stock deck or replacement?  There are diff mule drives for diff size tractors (the wheels) and some drop down more to align the belt to deck.  Is the deck mounted right in front and not just being pulled ahead by the belt instead of the hardware? 

• Cat385B said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power king, belts, pto