• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm thinking about calling. is it worth $600 ?

http://killeen.craig...4574556196.html

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 01:50 PM

That's one of the later, larger ones. 

I had one like that, but sold it as i would have never gotten around to it.

It looks to be in good condition, has some nice attachments, but the not running/staying in gear thing would knock the price down for me. 

I think I saw recently, maybe on here a fix for those gear boxes that have some wear to them with that problem, but requires a complete tear down. 

Maybe GLGrumpy or superspeedex will be along, they know a lot about these. 

• superspeedex and bbuckler have said thanks

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 02:06 PM

Post it at MTF too maybe find some info somewhere. I don't need something that going to cost a lot of money and time to fix.

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Like said above there the newer style stationary engine speedexs im not to familiar with them i think its a briggs 16hp (but could be 12 also) i have never had to get parts for those trannys but i dont like the 2 speed 3 speed gearbox i like my peerless.  but its all up to you if your looking for a project.

• bbuckler said thank you

#5 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm not looking for a project I was hoping it would of been a easy fix.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:45 PM

What gear I wonder??  That is a Borg-Warner trans, 3spd, same as Power King and others used. They are easy to fix if that. Otherwise if in rear or at the big bull gear, might be more problem. These big bull gears have two idlers in them, kinda welded in by the shaft and do wear out and need to be cut-out, found and new shafts welded back in to hold them.  Then there is the smaller bevel gear along side it that runs the other side of axle. All these gears are not machined when built and kinda ruff cast, but wear down smooth during use and get a little sloppy. A tooth could be broken off if worn that much. You have to keep oil in bottom of pan with gear in it, not sure how many do that when older. Not much for seals in the system, just lots of heavy greasing at axle ends and bushings that keeps oil in and dirt out, sort-of.  I really like the tractor, and if comes with those attachments for the price, then is at least close to value. Can always make a deal in person!  I don't see it as a tinker a little and jump on and use really. I like to go thru them better when I buy, and this would need that to.  P.S.  If you buy it, sell me that really Ugly front guard, you know it isn't that nice looking! :smilewink:  OH, and that should be a 16hp Briggs.  16 means the HP, 3 means the trans/3spd, and not sure what O means in model number.