GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 01:10 PM

While I was working on golf courses I had the opportunity to go to the Toro Company head-shed in Minnesota.  On both occasions I got to witness their test for rotary mower blades and mower decks.  They have a small bay where they park the mower to be tested, turn on the decks, run the engine up to wide open throttle, remove the people and lock to doors.  They then run a 2" diameter steel rod up through the floor to stop the mower blade.  Heck of a racket.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:23 PM

While I was working on golf courses I had the opportunity to go to the Toro Company head-shed in Minnesota. On both occasions I got to witness their test for rotary mower blades and mower decks. They have a small bay where they park the mower to be tested, turn on the decks, run the engine up to wide open throttle, remove the people and lock to doors. They then run a 2" diameter steel rod up through the floor to stop the mower blade. Heck of a racket.

I wonder what that is supposed to prove? That a 2" diameter steel rod with break stuff?

Be neat if they pushed 1/2 ball bearings through the floor to see how far and hard they would fly!
  • toppop52 said thank you

#33 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I

I wonder what that is supposed to prove? That a 2" diameter steel rod with break stuff?

Be neat if they pushed 1/2 ball bearings through the floor to see how far and hard they would fly!

The test was designed to test blade and spindle strength to minimize flying objects along with testing the deck housing's ability to contain flying objects if the blade and spindle did come apart.  In most cases the objects being picked up and thrown by the rotary mowers on a golf course was golf balls and tees along with the occasional remnants of broken golf clubs left in the taller grass by golfers after striking the nearest tree with the club after hitting a bad shot.

• johndeereelfman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks