#16 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 03:26 PM

ironic that his is in a place with the word "freedom" in it's name.

yeah that is pretty ironic now that I think of it! :rolling:

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 05:55 PM

I worked at several golf courses with privately owned homes.  Many of the homeowners hired landscapers to maintain their lawns.  I am a stickler on keeping all guards and shields in place and have ran a few landscapers off the club's roads, if they can't use the road they can't do business there, for not keeping the deflector shields in place. 

I also fired several employees for the same issue since during their orientation they are told the rules.

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and richwoodrocket have said thanks

#18 CountrysideLawn OFFLINE  

CountrysideLawn
  • Member No: 60805
  • 11 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:57 PM

I own a landscape company and i know it IS illegal in NY to blow grass on the roadways. I also know that my insurance is going to pay if one of my guys damages anything at all. Thats just the way it is. Sad part, most landscapers don't actually have insurance.
  • GTTinkerer and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#19 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I have to admit, even thou I know it is wrong I have one spot in front of the house where the stone wall is that I blow the grass out into the road, that or I blow it at the wall and it lands in my lap.  I do always stop for cars and wait for their to be no traffic going by.  I does always amaze me at the lack of consideration given to others In this day and age.  If I had done half the crap I see kids doing today when I was that age I would have gotten my ^%# Kicked.

Pete

• GTTinkerer, johndeereelfman and twostep have said thanks

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:56 PM

If I'm the a-hole who threw a rock into the street and hit a car with it, then I'm going to offer to pay for the damage.

If I'm the ignorant a-hole who couldn't be bothered to slow down and make sure the mower moron sees me before I drive right into a 16,000 feet per second scatter zone, then I can fix or live with my own stupidity.

Who's responsible? For every darn thing that happens in your life, you are. No one else. This current trend of 'who's to blame, not me' makes me sick.

No one from Miller Brewing came out and got me started on beer when I was a kid. No one from Phillip Morris tied me up and made me smoke until I was hooked.

It is okay to have a pair and show em every once in a while. One way to do that is to take responsibility for an eff up vocally and then fix it.
  • Bolens 1000, GTTinkerer, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#21 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:05 PM

If I'm the a-hole who threw a rock into the street and hit a car with it, then I'm going to offer to pay for the damage.

If I'm the ignorant a-hole who couldn't be bothered to slow down and make sure the mower moron sees me before I drive right into a 16,000 feet per second scatter zone, then I can fix or live with my own stupidity.

Who's responsible? For every darn thing that happens in your life, you are. No one else. This current trend of 'who's to blame, not me' makes me sick.

No one from Miller Brewing came out and got me started on beer when I was a kid. No one from Phillip Morris tied me up and made me smoke until I was hooked.

It is okay to have a pair and show em every once in a while. One way to do that is to take responsibility for an eff up vocally and then fix it.

So I take it that you're NOT a democrat ? : )
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#22 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Sorry to upset you Cat. I wasn't trying to make anybody mad or looking to find or make excuses. I was just throwing the topic out there for people to think about next time they are out mowing their yard. I don't have an answer as to who pays for damages. I just see what I see, and bring it up to the group for all of us to take into consideration next time we are doing something that could effect the safety of others around us. If you're guilty, then take the warning. If this subject doesn't apply to you, then just ignore it but be aware that it could happen.

Sorry that I urinated in your litter box without asking first!

• MH81, GTTinkerer, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:25 PM

My Dad had that happen to him a few years ago. Mowing along the road with his walk behind with the bagger on. A guy stopped in and said he had thrown a stone and cracked his windsheild. So my dad turned it in to his property insurance. They said they don't honor any cracked window claims. Due to fraud, it is too easy to drive past a fella mowing and claim it was him when it happened before hand. This time it was like a brand new car, so there was little chance of it happening before and they covered it for that reason.

I always try to blow it away from anything that I don't want damaged. My house, the vehicles, and the passing cars on the road. I think it is showing respect to others by not doing something that could be a bother.

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:29 PM

From time to time, when I walk past a TV, I see Judge Judy doing her thing.

Shhhhh. I didn't ask you to say anything!!!!

I'm sure she would take the keys away from the GT owner, and make him

clip her lawn with a pair of scissors.

#25 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Back in the late 50's, dad was mowing (push mower) and something flew all the way across the street and hit a girls leg cutting her.

I don't remember if dad or his insurance paid, but dad was responsible for her injury.

#26 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:38 AM

I blow it away from the road except when doing the ditch.  The reason for that is the sidewalk between the ditch and my yard.  Kids come by on bikes, people walking, etc...  You don't know they are there until they are right beside you, and I'd rather dent a car than hit a pedestrian.  If I do notice a car or pedestrian I shut the blades down and wait anyway.  it seems like the polite thing to do.

I wonder about the liability there though.  The ditch is city property, but I'm required to maintain it.  Because the sidewalk is between the ditch and my yard, I have to point the chute at either the road or the sidewalk.  It's a bad design and not my doing, I just have to deal with it.  I suspect if something happened it would be all on me though.

As for the dump truck issue, when you study for the written exam the phrase, "The driver is ultimately responsible," appears on every other page.  Putting a sign on your truck doesn't change that.

#27 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 12:28 PM

Not an issue out here. We're in a 'water shortage' and encouraged to get drought resistant plants. The people 'round here (not me) are too lazy and hire uh, 'cheap ' help to do their yard maintenance. I would like to mow the dog poo back at some of the people who can't pick up after their own pets.Even this won't discourage all of them (see picture). More people do walk their dogs on the other side of the street though. haha :deadhorse:            .Ahhhh California!

#28 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 12:35 PM

8-1-14 009.JPG Where'd my picture go? Take two.

• johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#29 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 07:47 PM

In the last town I lived in they were somewhat of heavy on rules.

One was you don't blow your clippings in the road. They actually paid a guy to drive around and look for clippings in the road then they would stop sweep them up and you would get a bill in the mail for the cleanup service.

Same for snow. If you plowed your driveway or sidewalks into the road they would plow it up then send a bill.

I always wanted to send them a bill when they plowed snow into my driveway.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 02, 2014 - 07:48 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#30 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:06 PM

In the late 80's, I was mowing with my rider, a rock flew out and hit the rear door of a brand new Grand Am, I was not even close to the road. My homeowner's policy paid for that. I had always stopped the blades and still do if near the road, when traffic passes, but that is no guarantee. Lawn mowers are dangerous tools no matter how careful we are.

• johndeereelfman said thank you