• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:59 AM

It is unfortunate that the kubota tractor area of the Garden Tractor Talk forum gets so little posting.  Maybe it is because the kubota's are so well made that they cause little trouble.  I have owned 4 of them and hand no problems with any.  About 8 months ago I bought a L185 tractor that appeared to be in good condition from a dealer for $1750.  I repaired one dent in the front of the hood, changed the oil in it, and painted the tractor.  I replaced the decals also at that time.  I found a used Land Pride 60 inch finish mower for sale locally for $400. I purchased to fit the tractor.  I advertised the tractor for sale a couple weeks ago and had many calls on it.  I sold it to the second caller for $3,500.  This was my second experience in the last year with the little tractors.  I found another L185 this week that already has a finish mower on the rear of it for only slightly more than I paid for the first one.  This one is perfectly strait but for a slight crack and a little rust on one fender.  I intend to replace the seat on it, fix the fender and resell it.  I have proven twice lately that there is a good market for the small L series tractors at least.  I suggest others of you that are maybe retired or just have an interest in restoration give it a try.  The small L series tractors that I have found all run around $2000 if they need paint or a little tlc and are easily sellable when cleaned up.  Attached are a couple pictures of the one I sold a couple weeks ago.  The one i just bought is identical to this one with the same truf style tires.

Attached Thumbnails

• orange one.jpg
  • orange two.jpg
  • tractor.jpg

• olcowhand and HANKG have said thanks

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Neat little tractor!

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 01:56 PM

The guy I get parts from has one for sale recently. he wanted $1400 for it, but the head was off and someone did a very poor job of welding the cracks in the head. He said in his research, cheapest head he could find was over $500. Half the engine was in the box and he still wanted 1400. I would've like to have it though. 

#4 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 02:19 PM

I want one of these SO bad but they are just too expensive for me.  I wouldn't care what it looks like as long as it ran and all the stuff worked like it is supposed to.

#5 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am just finishing up the second tractor I mentioned in my original post.  This is the identical tractor as the first one.  I have only taken a month to restore it from looking pretty bad to its current condition.  I had to fix the alternator, fix the hour meter, replace the seat, paint it, etc.  It all went pretty fast.  I have purchased a pto driven string trimmer for it as you can see in the photos.  It is a poor time of the year to sell a mower so I am going to keep this one through the wnter before trying to sell it.  I am going to take it to a tractor show next Sunday.  Here are some photos of this one.   Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• new toy 1.jpg
  • new toy 2.jpg
  • new toy 3.jpg

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • Member No: 78207
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Beautiful tractor. I too have an L185, built I believe in 1980. I'm new here and am awaiting approval of my posts, but shall post current, pre- restoration  photos of her in the Kubota section when allowed. I can only hope to make her as beautiful as yours. Don.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Does that string trimmer swivel back when it encounters a post?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:55 AM

Does that string trimmer swivel back when it encounters a post?

Answering my own post.  Found a video of that trimmer.  I could use one of those!  And that tractor is nice!  I like Kubota diesels.

• KennyP and tiretrx have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:02 AM