• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#16 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Good plan on cutting out the pieces you need from an old bug. I junked out a bus years ago and cut the roof off and kept it, when I needed a piece of metal just cut one out of it and shaped it to fit.

I'm sure you will enjoy them when you get them running the way  they were designed to be, I had one with the weber carb and it was a lot snappier but couldn't keep the carb adjusted. Also the popular 009 distributor creates a dead spot just above idle liked the original dist better.

• BTS said thank you

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Good plan on cutting out the pieces you need from an old bug. I junked out a bus years ago and cut the roof off and kept it, when I needed a piece of metal just cut one out of it and shaped it to fit.

I'm sure you will enjoy them when you get them running the way  they were designed to be, I had one with the weber carb and it was a lot snappier but couldn't keep the carb adjusted. Also the popular 009 distributor creates a dead spot just above idle liked the original dist better.

Do you have any tips for welding in patches?

I have a small 110 wire welder (needs a little tlc and I have never used it), I was also wondering about brazing in the patches??? but I didn't know how that would work either.

I have never done anything like this and I don't want to do more damage then good lol.

I was told once to tack the patch in places and don't do a solid weld???
But I don't really know

My first patches are going to be in the engine compartment and they will be covered with the firewall board so If they don't look the best, no one will ever see them.

Thanks for any info

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Here is the engine, it's now complete (except exhaust and carb) with new paint,  now waiting for some parts to come before I can instal it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bug Engine 001.JPG
  • Bug Engine 003.JPG

#19 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 12:28 PM

BTS,

Since you have some spare VW metal I suggest that you practice on pieces that are not going to be needed in your restoration.  Much better to burn holes in or warp something you don't plan on using later.

• HDWildBill and BTS have said thanks

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Gtractor,

Do you have a picture of your bus??? I'd love to see it.

My bus is brown, but the color looks off due to the fact it is pretty dirty.

Guess I should have clicked on your picture to get it large enough to actually see the color.....

No picture.  I still can't load pictures from my camera to the computor or I'd take some.  This computor is dying a slow painful death and I hate to get one part fixed only to have it die the next day.   Its completely quit several times only to work a few days later. 

Before I got into garden tractors I played with Vee Dubs quite a bit.  I still have several but they've been setting for a long time now.

I still have:

'61 Beetle baja

'71 bay window bus

'74 Thing convert

'76 bay window sunroof bus

'76 Beetle convert

'82 Rabbitt convert

'87 Cabroilet convert

• BTS said thank you

#21 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:43 PM

BTS,

Since you have some spare VW metal I suggest that you practice on pieces that are not going to be needed in your restoration.  Much better to burn holes in or warp something you don't plan on using later.

I'm definitely going to do a lot of test welding before I start on the bug.

I can already weld pretty good with a stick welder, so the wire welder shouldn't be to hard to learn on.

Thanks

#22 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:43 PM

Gtractor,

Do you have a picture of your bus??? I'd love to see it.

My bus is brown, but the color looks off due to the fact it is pretty dirty.

Guess I should have clicked on your picture to get it large enough to actually see the color.....

No picture.  I still can't load pictures from my camera to the computor or I'd take some.  This computor is dying a slow painful death and I hate to get one part fixed only to have it die the next day.   Its completely quit several times only to work a few days later. 

Before I got into garden tractors I played with Vee Dubs quite a bit.  I still have several but they've been setting for a long time now.

I still have:

'61 Beetle baja

'71 bay window bus

'74 Thing convert

'76 bay window sunroof bus

'76 Beetle convert

'82 Rabbitt convert

'87 Cabroilet convert

WOW you got a heard!

Sounds like you need to dust them off and get them back on the road!

#23 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Got the rust cut out in the back, I put a rust neutralizer on it.

It shouldn't be to bad to patch it up, I thought about body putty but I have never used it and I don't want to have any trouble with it falling out later.

This is going to be covered with the firewall insulation so it will be out of site.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bug Rust 001.JPG
  • Bug Rust 002.JPG
  • Bug Rust 003.JPG

#24 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Do you have any tips for welding in patches?

I have a small 110 wire welder (needs a little tlc and I have never used it), I was also wondering about brazing in the patches??? but I didn't know how that would work either.

I have never done anything like this and I don't want to do more damage then good lol.

I was told once to tack the patch in places and don't do a solid weld???
But I don't really know

My first patches are going to be in the engine compartment and they will be covered with the firewall board so If they don't look the best, no one will ever see them.

Thanks for any info

Clean the metal, Brazing or Wire welding works well. The VW metal is fairly heavy and easy to work with it doesn't burn thru and is fairly malleable.

Put a spot of weld or braze then move a couple of inches and put another spot keep doing this until the patch is anchored you don't need a continuous weld actually less is better.

Don't get the metal so hot that it starts to warp, it is easier to Not warp then to straighten later, If brazing heat quickly and then move away from that spot quickly before the heat spreads.

Grind off excess weld/oxidation. Straighten up the panel with a hammer and dolly.

It's ok to use body filler if it's not to thick, it will stay for many years if you follow the directions on the can.

• HDWildBill and BTS have said thanks

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Clean the metal, Brazing or Wire welding works well. The VW metal is fairly heavy and easy to work with it doesn't burn thru and is fairly malleable.

Put a spot of weld or braze then move a couple of inches and put another spot keep doing this until the patch is anchored you don't need a continuous weld actually less is better.

Don't get the metal so hot that it starts to warp, it is easier to Not warp then to straighten later, If brazing heat quickly and then move away from that spot quickly before the heat spreads.

Grind off excess weld/oxidation. Straighten up the panel with a hammer and dolly.

It's ok to use body filler if it's not to thick, it will stay for many years if you follow the directions on the can.

Thank you for all the info,

I'm going to order the part for my welder and then go at it!

Thanks again!!!!!

#26 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Got the inside of the bug gutted, I thought since I'm waiting on engine parts I'd go ahead and get the inside cleaned out.
Hoping to start fixing rust this week and I'm hoping to get started on the paint next week.

I got the engine together, now I just need to stick the exhaust manifolds on, I went ahead and painted all the tin on the engine.
I got the carb rebuilt and the new (old) air cleaner mounted. You can see in the 3rd picture of the "new style" air cleaner that I am replacing.

I used a wire wheel on a angle grinder to clean off the old carpet fuzz and glue. Now I need to get the cutting wheel on and start removing rust.

I'm thinking about building a wood frame and hanging clear plastic on it, so I can pull the bug in and hopefully paint it with out getting dust in the paint.

I have no garage or any place to work indoors, so I'm going to half to make something work.

Attached Thumbnails

• VW Pictures 002.JPG
  • VW Pictures 005.JPG
  • VW Pictures 007.JPG
  • VW Pictures 012.JPG
  • VW Pictures 013.JPG
  • VW Pictures 014.JPG
  • VW Pictures 015.JPG
  • VW Pictures 017.JPG
  • VW Pictures 019.JPG

#27 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:11 AM

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.

• GTTinkerer and BTS have said thanks

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,501 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I have always wanted a Baja bug to play with, just never got bit enough by the "bug" to get one. 

The guy I bought my ST16 from was into the VW vans, he had 3, two were campers and the other was a 15 or 16 window? He had a bigger motor, etc for it and a bunch of plans for restoring.

Don Campbell on our site was also into bugs and vans, check out his old pics.

https://www.flickr.c...57594310120738/

https://www.flickr.c...57594306631138/

On a very sad note, while on his website, I just read he his shutting down the website for good. I hope he still keeps it up for viewing, and instead just doesn't update any longer. Read down a few posts on his site.  :(  :(

http://doncampbellmodels.com/2014/07/

• BTS said thank you

#29 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 12:16 PM

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.

No it's not cut out yet, but it will be soon :thumbs:  :bigrofl:

Edited by BTS, August 06, 2014 - 01:11 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#30 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 12:17 PM

I have always wanted a Baja bug to play with, just never got bit enough by the "bug" to get one. 

The guy I bought my ST16 from was into the VW vans, he had 3, two were campers and the other was a 15 or 16 window? He had a bigger motor, etc for it and a bunch of plans for restoring.

Don Campbell on our site was also into bugs and vans, check out his old pics.

https://www.flickr.c...57594310120738/

https://www.flickr.c...57594306631138/

On a very sad note, while on his website, I just read he his shutting down the website for good. I hope he still keeps it up for viewing, and instead just doesn't update any longer. Read down a few posts on his site.  :(  :(

http://doncampbellmodels.com/2014/07/

Thanks for the links, we need to get Don involved in this thread! :thumbs: