BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hello all,

I recently joined a VW forum (the samba) which I found out is one of the only VW forums and it is a huge site with lot of members.
After posting a few times and reading other peoples post, I found that everyone on there was a jerk that would start a fight over anything :( . So I then thought I would quit that sight and bring VW's to GTT :rocker2:.

Anyway, I have 2 Classic VW's, one '74 Super Beetle and one '79 (last year) Bay window bus.

Both of these are kind of a on going project, right now I'm in the middle of the injection system on the bus, got all of them pulled, cleaned and now I'm ordering new seals.

The bug was running great, I rebuilt the carburetor, re timed the engine and redid all of the brakes.

I then took it for a 40 mile round trip and it couldn't of run any smoother. Later the same day, I took it to town to go shopping, it's about a 20/25 mile drive one way and when I was just about there the engine started to miss out. I pulled over to the store, looked over the engine (it was still there) and then thought I'd get the groceries and then see how it runs once it's cooled off.

When I got back, the engine started and idled just fine. But when I took out down the street with it, it started sputtering and backfiring.

I figured it was a carb issue, the engine wasn't smoking at all (it never has) and there were no noises at all.

So I thought I'd take it slow going home and see what would happen. I didn't even quite get out of town before it started loosing more and more power :( . I started down shifting hoping I could get to a drive way or someplace off the road.

I put it in first gear but it just kept getting slower (still no smoke or noises) until it wouldn't go any further.

So I opened the hood, and again the engine was still there :thumbs: . I looked around at a couple things, but I knew there wasn't anything I could do to it on the road.

So I sat there and about 10 minutes (and about 50 cars that didn't even slow down) later a pickup stopped, it was a local guy from the town I live in (small town only a few hundred people) and he is a brother-in-law to a good friend of mine. (they used to drive VW's back in the day)  he asked if I needed help?, he looked at the bug, and then asked me if it will start if he pulls me, I told him it wouldn't since I tried restarting it several times already and it wouldn't do anything. So he said he will just pull me home, he went to a store and bought a tow rope (wouldn't let me pay). Then we pulled it to my local town and parked it in a parking lot and then my brother took me home (I live 4 miles out side of town). The next day I went back to see if it would start and again it wouldn't even try. So we pulled it home, I did a compression test, it had 60psi (should have 100psi minimum) and one cylinder had less then 20psi :boo_hoo:

So I checked the valves, they all looked fine and were moving as they should.

I'm figuring I burned out a piston??? but again the engine never did smoke.

I took the engine apart, I got one head off (the side with no compression) and I can't see anything wrong. There is oil in the cylinder so I'm guessing rings.

I'm going to pull the other head today and see what it looks like.

Luckily I have another engine that came free with my bus, so I checked compression and it is good.

Although the engine has no tin or anything on it, I'm going to switch everything of off the now junk engine and put it on the good one. Once I get the other engine in and running. I'm going to rebuild the original engine and stick it in storage until I need it again.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I just needed to get that out I guess. It is nice being on a forum were everyone is so nice, the VW forum makes me realize now nice of a place GTT is.

This thread is for anyone with a VW, or if they had one, knew someone who had one, wants or needs one :thumbs:.

Post pics of your Classic VW's or info and questions.

I'm no expert with these but I'm learning.

Thanks for listening (reading) :wave:

• olcowhand, Gtractor, trowel and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:58 AM

I had a super bug when I was stationed in Spain.  Then when we came home we bought a bus.  I should have left the bus sitting on the car lot.  Nothing but trouble, but the good thing was the EX got it when we split up so she got to deal with it. :thumbs:

Hope things go better for you.

• BTS said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 09:13 AM

We raced the Bugs in the mid 70s while stationed in Germany in the town of Bad Hersfeld.  Cheap entertainment and met some great German folks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bill's 1970 VW in Bad Hersfeld FRG.jpg
  • Scan115, June 22, 2003.jpg
  • Scan136, June 22, 2003.jpg

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have never owned a bug but have played with a lot of them.

When I was a kid my folks had one for a few weeks before my dad traded it for something else.  Had a buddy in college that had  a Bug that was cool to drive. Then I met a couple that had a Autostick model that i got to look at.

There is a guy I get scrap metal from about once a year that all he does is work on them. He has lots of bugs and buses around his shop. Every once in a while I will see one in an article that I recognize and it is one he rebuilt.

• BTS said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Strange how the rings could go from running  to non running in so few miles.

Hey, how about a VW two wheel tractor?

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Glad you were able to get your insect home and sorry to hear it has bad rings.
Since you're going to have an extra engine, I assume we can expect a GT repower thread? :D

As for the members here being tops, you're correct and you're one of them. :thumbs:
  • olcowhand, LilysDad and BTS have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thing.jpg

When I drive this "car" people always ask me:

"What do you call that thing?"

I just say "yes"

It really confuses them....

• MH81, GTTinkerer, Trav1s and 3 others have said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Is that an original thing? Or a copy?

• Gtractor and BTS have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 05:28 PM

My brother had two, late 60's (blue) and early 70's (yellow) the blue one had the bigger engine, 1600 i think, the yellow i think 1500 or smaller, the blue was original, the yellow had chrome side boards, low pro fatty tires on alloy rimes, fin on the engine door, hat above window, black leather interiors, beautiful custom made stained hardwood dash and glove box, chrome gauges. Engine was decked out too, chrome valve covers, headers, high pro ratty carb, for a bug it was pretty sweet.

Edited by trowel, August 01, 2014 - 05:28 PM.

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and BTS have said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Is that an original thing? Or a copy?

Its original.   I've owned it for 15 or 20 years.

• MH81, HDWildBill, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Thanks all for the replies, stories and pictures.

Nice Thing you have there! those are pricy little buggers in that condition!.

I don't know much about "those things" they always looked like fun though.

I pulled the other head today, everything looks fine, there is a pretty good build up of carbon and gunk on the heads and pistons.

I am assuming the engine has had low compression for some time now and I just never checked it.

I'm guessing a ring broke in the cylinder that had no compression but it is strange that it never smoked???

Anyway, I'll keep posting updates about my bus and bug. I'm hoping to have the bug painted here at the end of august if everything goes as planed.

But before painting there is going to be some rust patching.

I've never done vehicle painting or body repair, so it's going to be a fun challenge!.

Thanks again for all of the kind replies, it's nice to be home at GTT

• olcowhand, Gtractor and HDWildBill have said thanks

#12 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Here are pictures of my VW's, the bug now has the original wheels like in the first picture.

The bus is in surprisingly good condition, has no rust on the floors (still looks like new paint), but around the rear wheels is rusted pretty good. I'm going to half to figure out how to fix it.

The bug is going to be Orange and the bus is going to be Red and White. I wanted to paint the bus Yellow and White, but the family shot that down really quick :ah_shoot: , they said something about a big Twinkie? I don't know :boo_hoo:

Attached Thumbnails

• VW Bug Wheels 014.JPG
  • VW BUG RUST 021.JPG
  • VW BUS 009.JPG
  • VW BUS 010.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#13 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 03:36 PM

I suspect that your rings are stuck or the valves were set to tight you really need to find out what the problem was before u take it all apart, It's hard to trouble shoot it when it's in pieces. In the bottom of the fuel tank there is a prefilter/ fuel filter made out of a fine metal screen and these plug up and create the problem that you are describing. It looks like a big nut with the fuel line attached to it. It's fairly easy to pull the fuel tank out and clean the tank up.

I've got the Bug!!  Not anymore however owned several in my lifetime, miss a few of them here are a few pics for your enjoyment.

These were all painted by me. Grey works well on a bus because it hides the dings and wrinkles better than most colors, Big flat panels on a bus are hard to straighten!

This was my last Bug. 69 SunRunner

Beetle.jpg

One of the nicer ones I owned

Pic001.JPG

My Magic Bus , Can you say The Who?

th_DSC00670.jpg

A Volkaro  VW Kit Car

volkaro.jpg

We Called this one the Taxi.

yellowbug16.jpg

Edited by Arti, August 02, 2014 - 03:38 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:21 PM

BTS,

You sure you don't want to stay with that factory color of the bus?  

I've got a '76 bay window sunroof bus that same color of green.   :wallbanging:   Biggest sunroof I ever seen.

Mine has a water cooled OHC 4 cylinder Ford powerplant.  The radiator was disguised as a spare tire on the front.  Looked good until the "tire cover" rotted off.   Now its just a radiator sitting out in the open.

• BTS said thank you

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 11:18 PM

Arti, Nice bugs and bus!
Do you know much about repairing rust? I'm guessing I need to start cutting and then start welding?

I have a couple old junk parts bugs that have the right body parts that I need, I'm thinking I can cut out the rust in the good bug and cut out the same place on the parts bugs?
I already checked the engine before I pulled it apart, it was getting gas and it had spark.

The carb was just rebuilt so I know that wasn't the problem either. The one cylinder is dead, like you said maybe the rings stuck?

Gtractor,

Do you have a picture of your bus??? I'd love to see it.

My bus is brown, but the color looks off due to the fact it is pretty dirty.

I got the engine put together today, since I had it all pulled apart I went ahead and painted all of the tin (with high heat paint) . It now looks pretty darn good.

I'm not needing to order a couple parts before I can put it in.
I'm rebuilding a stock carburetor and I'm using a stock air cleaner.
The carb that was on the other engine was a after market Weber, it is a two barrel with a really lousy air cleaner which I think may of the death of the engine.

I'll post pictures of the engine later

Thanks