Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hand Controlled Hydros Still Made?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:18 AM

I think the industry has gone to foot control because it is generally safer and easier to use. Is there any way you can adjust the pedal height or seat position/height to make him more comfortable on his current machine? If you can figure out what the specific problem is, pedals too hard to push, too far, lack of strength or flexibility to push them etc, you can maybe fix the issue or find another foot controlled machine that will work. Hand controls opens up another bunch or safety issues. The biggest one for me is that some of them just keep on going if you remove your hand from the control, where a foot control will return to neutral and stop. I have this setup on a JD314 and 317 and much prefer foot controls.

I agree and speaking as someone who once swore he would never own another hydro, I have grown to like them and especially the foot control.  I need to take some time and get more in depth with him on this subject.  He knows what he is feeling when he is mowing.  We discussed some sort of a seat belt but we'll just have to hash this out to see what the real problem is.  This has been a very good, reliable machine for a cheapy.  I recommend them for someone who just wants a mower.  I would hate to see him get into something that wouldn't hold up.  The way he's going he could be mowing for another 5 to 10 years!

• JDBrian said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Jeff, sears has a few. These are LT's, but some of the, show the hand control.
http://www.sears.com...25252525252BAll

Just a thought, with the upper body strength... has he ever tried a zero turn?
  • David Brown said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Maybe a seat upgrade with arm rests would do the trick. Not cheap, at 100$+ but less then a new mower.

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Jeff, sears has a few. These are LT's, but some of the, show the hand control.
http://www.sears.com...25252525252BAll

I did find one at Sears that he might like.  With his balance (even with the upper body strength) I seriously doubt he could get on and off a zero turn.  He doesn't much care for them anyway.

• MH81 said thank you

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Maybe a seat upgrade with arm rests would do the trick. Not cheap, at 100$+ but less then a new mower.

I was thinking about a better seat and I wanted to see what the seat mounts looked like when I pick him up tonight.  We'll float that idea and see if he thinks it would help.  Gee, a bucket seat for an 80's era car complete with a seat belt would do the trick.  Some of them were pretty high so he would have roll over protection too!

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Mom and Dad have been using the Sears GT's for years. The new style with the open tunnel is nice for Mom and not to bad to get on... I Don't know if the LT's are shorter coupled or not, they look open but is there that small car feel to it.
  • GTTinkerer and David Brown have said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:11 AM

My Dad is soon to be 89, and he bought a zero-turn several years ago & just about wore it out.  He bought a brand new one this Spring.  He loves zero-turns, plus it helps keep his arms in shape.  Me, I can't and don't wanna learn to drive the things.

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#23 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I was going to suggest a zero turn because they ARE so easy to get on and off of. I have been loving my Woods/grasshopper this year. Getting on and off is so easy plus they are so manuverable. Easy to park in tight spots. My wifes 90 grandma has a low grade John Deere zero and she uses it as her "hoveround" in her 5 acre yard/nature preserve/jungle.