Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hand Controlled Hydros Still Made?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 07:05 PM

I took my dad to fill his gas cans tonight and we got to talking about his mowing tractor.  He has one of the new Allis Chalmers tractors.  He really likes it, it's been a good machine for the 4 or 5 years he's had it now, and it mows really nice.  Trouble is, he is starting to not be so fond of the foot controlled hydro.  Reason?  Well, he's up there in years (he'll be 90 in August) and he has trouble staying on the seat when he is operating the foot controlled hydro.  At least that's what he says.  Who am I to argue with a 90 year old?  Anyway, he would like to find something (new) just for mowing that is easy to get on and off and has the hand controlled hydro.  Just a new cheapy to mow with.  I take my Wheelhorse up in the winter to plow snow with so we're good there  So, does anyone still make a hand control hydro anymore?  He doesn't care about brand.

• hamman said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ingersol is like old cases right?? Lever on dash?   I've never looked at new ones, but might check. Won't be Cheapie tho I'm sure, unless they make some new lighter models now too.  Look at a Sears.  I'm thinking it would at least have to have the lever in the fender then maybe?  Think they still hve those, but maybe those are just quick-shift kind and not really hydro? Opinion:  90 year old fella doesn't need to be on a mower and maybe cause big accident if control issues are coming up. I was wondering how he could GET ON the darn tractor!?

• David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:10 PM

You would be surprised as to what he can do.  Can't walk real well but he still does stuff around his house and lives on his own.  I'm only 6 miles away and am up there now and then to take care of the heavier stuff.  Sometimes, if he knows I'm going to come up and do something, he'll have it done by the time I get there.  He just got done trimming all his hedges.  He knows his limits of which I am glad.  He took himself off the road a few years ago because he knew it was dangerous for him or others.  Bottom line is, if he wants a new tractor, who am I to say no?  He's actually heading to the Portersville show with me tomorrow evening.  If I can fit it in the truck, he wants to take his tractor so he can have something to ride around the grounds.  Not sure if I'll get both our tractors in the bed of the truck but we sure will try.  By the way, he can about break your hand if you shake hands with him.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Get the man whatever tractor he can operate. And enjoy his company.

Edited by Kurtee, July 31, 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Get the man whatever tractor he can operate. And enjoy his company.

Oh believe me, I do.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:13 PM

Jeff, depending on where you live and how we can make something happen, Ingersoll tractors do have the hand control available as has been suggested.

They are not cheap, but they are sturdy and they will last forever. 

I am an Ingersoll dealer.  I can cut you a deal on a brand shiny new one.

Ben W.

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:29 PM

It may be possible to modify the linkages on his tractor to make it hand operated. I can't see where that would be all that hard to do.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:34 PM

Jeff, depending on where you live and how we can make something happen, Ingersoll tractors do have the hand control available as has been suggested.

They are not cheap, but they are sturdy and they will last forever. 

I am an Ingersoll dealer.  I can cut you a deal on a brand shiny new one.

Ben W.

Thanks Ben but dad is looking for something in the area of 2 grand or less probably.  The Ingersolls are really nice machines but I think they would be hard for him to get on.  He wants a smaller deck too. 42" would probably be the absolute max.  He wants something that he can handle.

• superaben said thank you

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Ben, I hope you aren't responsible for their web page. It is craptastic.

http://eastmanind.co...om/Default.aspx

Edited by UncleWillie, July 31, 2014 - 09:36 PM.

• David Brown and superaben have said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:37 PM

It may be possible to modify the linkages on his tractor to make it hand operated. I can't see where that would be all that hard to do.

Thought about that actually.  I need to sit down and look at it good to see what I could do.  I did find a Troybilt XP Horse that has what he wants.  I don't know how good those tractors are.  Even though he is basically 90, I can picture him outlasting the Troybuilt.  Afterall, his sister died at 96 and his mother at 104.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Ben, I hope you aren't responsible for their web page. It is craptastic.

http://eastmanind.co...om/Default.aspx

If I was responsible, it would look much worse.

I doubt if Eastman is really focusing much on internet technology. 

Ben W.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Ben but dad is looking for something in the area of 2 grand or less probably.  The Ingersolls are really nice machines but I think they would be hard for him to get on.  He wants a smaller deck too. 42" would probably be the absolute max.  He wants something that he can handle.

You won't get a new one for less than 2 grand.  :(  They are expensive as all get out!

The nice thing about the Ingersolls is the open platform, in my opinion they are very easy to mount and dismount, there is really no "torque tube" center to worry about.

Have you looked into a Simplicity Sunstar or maybe even a 300 series John Deere?

They all had hand controls but they are older machines.

Ben W.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 04:25 AM

You won't get a new one for less than 2 grand.  :(  They are expensive as all get out!

The nice thing about the Ingersolls is the open platform, in my opinion they are very easy to mount and dismount, there is really no "torque tube" center to worry about.

Have you looked into a Simplicity Sunstar or maybe even a 300 series John Deere?

They all had hand controls but they are older machines.

Ben W.

Well this last one he paid $1700 for and it's been a good machine actually.  There are many in that price range to choose from but just about all of them are foot controlled.  I found two so far that are around $1400.  Remember, he's 90 and he only want to cut the grass.  The Ingersoll is probably one of the finest machines out there.  It's just far more tractor than he needs. He does not want a used machine.  That's not his style and he can't get down or see well enough to work on it.  As it is, he actually has pretty good dealer service with his little Allis.  In the spring he has them come pick it up and give it a once over, changing oil, sharpening blades, the works.

#14 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 05:35 AM

Can't help you with a mower selection, but wanted to say how great it is to read about someone shoping for a mower for their 90 year-old father!!! That is a real privilege.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:12 AM

I think the industry has gone to foot control because it is generally safer and easier to use. Is there any way you can adjust the pedal height or seat position/height to make him more comfortable on his current machine? If you can figure out what the specific problem is, pedals too hard to push, too far, lack of strength or flexibility to push them etc, you can maybe fix the issue or find another foot controlled machine that will work. Hand controls opens up another bunch or safety issues. The biggest one for me is that some of them just keep on going if you remove your hand from the control, where a foot control will return to neutral and stop. I have this setup on a JD314 and 317 and much prefer foot controls.