4 replies to this topic

#1 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 45801
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 02:46 PM

The throttle cable on my 444-76 wont move. The PO added another throttle cable, but it hangs loose and moves to a slower setting. I bought a used OEM cable assembly, but since I've never done this, I am seeking help of ones more experienced. Is there an easier way to change this part without removing the hydraulic reservoir? Any help/advice is appreciated. 

#2 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Got the two nuts off which hold the cable assemblies to the dash. Did this through the area behind the battery box. The upper nut can be replaced with no trouble, but the lower nut will be much harder. Looks like there's room to put a 24" extension from under the tractor.

I realize that the first post should have been written as "How do you.....?", but will at least post how I do it. Now to try to pull the knob off without trashing it. Hey, I'm still open for any ideas.

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 568 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:13 PM

You asked for easy most slide motor to move hydraulic tank out of way. As most say good time to clean every thing up under there. Are you saying PO had bolt trough dash? It can be done through inspection cover but PITA that way. If it's the nut I think your talking a bought some have tack welded the nut in place. Probable not the answer your looking for some times you just have to bite the bullet and go the hard route.   

• Huey said thank you

#4 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:00 PM

No, the PO had a cable attached to the governor on one end and the control handle end just laying in the seat. I like the idea of welding the nut, but would like to keep the carriage bolts. Was actually thinking of gluing the nut under the bracket, starting the carriage bolt into the nut for a few rounds, then finish tightening from underneath with the long extension and socket. Thanks, gopher, you're right tho, might just bite the bullet.

#5 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Finished this little project today. Didn't move the engine or hydraulic reservoir. Here's how I did it:

1- Disconnect battery, negative post first.

2- Remove battery

3- Remove knobs from control levers. I made a tool by finding two pieces of flat iron 3 or 4 inches long x 1/2 inch wide. Drilled 9/32" hole in each end, both pieces.

Found two flat washers slightly thicker than the control levers. Using two 1/4" nuts and bolts, secure the flat iron to each side of the control

lever, with the washers on the bolts between the flat iron. Using two levers, screwdrivers, or whatever, pry the flat iron up, pushing the knob off.

4- Remove the nut from the upper carriage bolt which holds the control assemblies. This takes a 3/8" socket using a 1/4" ratchet, or a 3/8" end wrench.

5- Remove the nut from the lower carriage bolt which holds the control assemblies. This requires a 3/8" socket and a 1/4" ratchet with a head that swivels

270 degrees, and a 2" x 1/4" extension. 

6- Disconnect the cable(s) to be replaced from the governor and/or the choke, along with any fasteners holding the cable housing.

7- Attach a cord or wire to the end of the cable(s) to pull the replacement(s) back. Make it considerably longer than the cable.

Fasten the cord or wire to the engine to prevent pulling it too far.

8- Pull the defective cable assembly out and attach the replacement to the pulling cord.

9- Pull the replacement assembly into the engine compartment with the cord. 

10- Re-install the upper carriage bolt and nut. Align the bottom holes of the two control assemblies with the hole for the lower carriage bolt

and tighten the top carriage bolt and nut.

11- Re-install the bottom carriage bolt and nut. I put the nut into a 3/8" boxed end wrench, wedging it in place with some plastic.Then held the nut directly

under the lower hole while turning the carriage bolt into the nut. This only works for a round or so, till the square shoulder of the bolt hits the

square opening. The nut must get it's final tightening from underneath, with the swivel ratchet. Re-install control knobs.

12- Reconnect and adjust the cable(s) on the engine.

13- Re-install and reconnect the battery, negative post last. 

Hope this helps someone. 

• gopher and sacsr have said thanks