7 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:13 PM

I went trap shooting tonight for the first time in nearly 10 years.  I absolutely forgot how much fun it is.  16 station course.  2 shots each set, 3 per station, except the last one that is 2 sets 2 shots.  100 shots.

I got a horrible case of nerves the first 4 stations.  Heart racing, shaking.  Maybe less of nerves and more of heck yeah lets do this adrenaline pumping.  I only hit 6 out of the first 24 thrown!

Ended up scoring a 44 out of 100 though.  I picked up a bit there towards the end.

I don't know what brand the shotgun was.  I know it was a very expensive Italian made over/under trap gun, my boss said he paid $2,500.00 for. 

I was in last place though for the scores.

44(me) 

**I realized this morning after I thought it about it, this post may of violated a rule about no talking about shooting, if this violates something please delete it.  I only posted this because I wanted to share a fun time I had**

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 31, 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#2 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 924 Thanks
  • 555 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 07:53 AM

When I was about 20 years old a friend and I decided we was going to go to the local trap shooting place Of course we had been shooting clays for awhile by then with a cheap thrower but we certainly had plenty of practice busting clays. So we get down to the range an get checked in there were several old timers there who were all talking about their guns an showing off what they had they asked us what we was planning to use an we said a couple old Remington pump guns They all chuckled a little a bit we could just tell they thought we was a complete joke since we wasn't shooting specific high dollar trap guns So we talked a little more with them an they said let's take these rookies out on the course Now this trap course only had a total of 25 clays thrown at different stations The old timers said they wanted us to go behind them so they could show us how it was done so we agreed to their request. The three older fellows took their turns at the first station if I remember right only one busted any birds it got time for us to go we got up there an my friend an I busted all our birds I went on to shoot a 24 out of 25 an my friend shoot a 23 out of 25. The old timers stopped juckling at us after that an actually wanted to see those old pump guns we had!!!
  • Bolens 1000, LilysDad and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:31 AM

We used to do a bunch of the trap type shooting at home in the early 1970's. We then decided that was starting to be come boring. Set the trap Red Devil)  out of sight of the shooter and developed our version of sporting clays well be for it became popular. You would call for the bird and you didn't;t know if it was going to be a flyer or a ground bounder. didn't know if it was going to go right or left either. Biggest rule was no pre shouldering the shot gun, had to be in the position we carried them when hunting with out a dog.

Many years later I joined a sportsman club that had a sporting clays course and a 5 stand course. Shot every Sunday morning before I went to work. Finally stopped cause it got so that it was like skeet and every one was shouldered and ready when they called for the bird. They were also calling for birds to see where the preset thrower threw the bird. About as much fun and shooting planted birds on a farm I felt.

I used a Model 37 feather lite Ithaca 12 ga. mod choke for years. Ended up with a SKB 686 with Hasting changeable chokes.

:D   Al

• LilysDad, gunstuff1000 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:51 AM

I agree you don't need an expensive shotgun, when I shot before I used a Mossberg pump.  It was fun and challenging.  I could of have a 200,000 dollar shotgun and I wouldn't of done any better.  It was 10 years ago when I last shot, and that was out of a flinger we mounted to the roof of my buddy's truck. 

My shoulder is a bit tender today!

I want to go again next week if I can put it together.  30 bucks for the clays, 22 bucks for a box of shells, and 20 bucks for a steak dinner.  Kind of an expensive hobby. 

Alleyyooper,

That's the way it is at this place.  2 clay pigeons at each throw.  Same pattern each time.  It was still fun.  It's a 100 round course so many stations, each one different.  2 of them had mini clays.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 31, 2014 - 08:58 AM.

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Yup the sportsman club course has the regular, mini and the flat disk called Batues also some stronger than normal that run on the ground (rabbits).

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Yup the sportsman club course has the regular, mini and the flat disk called Batues also some stronger than normal that run on the ground (rabbits).

I only got to shoot at 4 rabbits.  I'd love to try that some more.  Be some good practice.

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:33 AM

One club near here that is a state park club has towers so you can shoot at fliers off  of two of the towers. 

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:50 AM

Sounds like fun. Something I haven't done in years tho. Now that I am thinking of it, I want to go do it again.