• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I was wondering what steered u to Panzers?
I had stumble upon my two by luck. I was actually
looking for a Cadet to restore with my son and my
father .Then I came across some Panzers
that I had never heard of before. They looked
Interesting so I took both of them home. We all
know what happens next "ADDICTION".So what
lured every one else in?
  • Titus, sacsr, panzersarebest and 1 other said thanks

#2 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:03 AM

I first saw the Panzers at a garden tractor pull at the Durham Fair over 15 years ago. I had been thinking about getting into garden tractor pulling and decided that a Panzer was what I wanted to use. I found one for sale in Yankee Swapper that was located in New Haven, CT so went down to check it out and bought it for $150. It was a T-707es and came with the mower deck. It was in very good condition and ran great. I started on the restoration shortly after getting it home and had the basic restoration done by spring, in time for a tractor show up in Bernardston, Mass. I used it for garden tractor pulls until I got done restoring the T-758, at which time I turned the 707 over to the wife so she could have it for the tractor shows and parades.

I wrote a full two part feature article on these tractors in the March and May 2008 issues of LAGT, which I think is still available.

Edited by Panzerguy, July 31, 2014 - 08:05 AM.

• panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#3 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:04 AM

My T70B,,, Dad got in the mid 70's from a guy most likely on a barter deal for some work he did,,,,if I could have more of them I would, the boss doesn't agree lol...I've seen a lot of seat time on this old girl,,, got rid of some green paint a few weeks agoold paint.jpeg new paint.jpeg

#4 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:37 AM

You never see them in the south. After several shows and seeing all the others and none of these here I decided to try and get some. The good is the Boss don't care but the bad is any I find is a 400 mile plus run one way for me and I'm not having much luck finding a second or third one.

• Savageman said thank you

#5 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Coventry RI! Hey, my old stomping grounds. Keep your eyes open for Bush Hogs for me please :) I'm over in Exeter. I enjoy working on Panzers and have a connection with a man in Mass who owns quite a few of them!

#6 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 02:28 PM

tr.gif   davearrighi1.jpg1107 and T75

Your request for a story on Panzers brings to mind how all this started with me a few years ago.

Our property is well landscaped and it takes a lot of time and energy to keep it that way. I usually spread about 10 yards of mulch every year by hand. One day, after suffering back aches I said to my wife, " I'd like to find an old used garden tractor just for pulling a trailer and/or aerator. Because I like to mow my lawn with a walk behind to get my exercise, the need for a new one was out of the question. My search began. Everything I ran into was on it's last leg, nothing very dependable.

One day I was at my friends shop ( he runs a Model A Ford repair business ) and we got talking about old tractors. He invited me to his bone yard where lo and behold there was a Panzer 1107. Frank, I said " Does it run ?" He said, " It did a year ago ". Well we pulled it into the shop and gased it up, put a battery in it, gave it a choke, hit the starter and she roared to life. The price was right so I brought it home. My wife was not happy and I had to appease her with dinner and a movie. What a deal. The more I looked at it the more I could see potential for having a lot of fun with it. Not being a purist but being an old hot rodder from the Fifties, I decided to bring back some old memories. Out came the torches, sand blaster and paint gun. The project was in full swing. The Wheels were powder coated (alien silver), the seat was rolled and pleated, the fenders are diamond plate and the hood was flamed. To finish it off it needed duals, so the stacks were made from 1" black pipe and then aluminum ceramic coated and topped off with homemade raincaps (all tractors have raincaps).

Now that the Panzer is done and looking to pretty to work with, I am again looking for an a relic to do my yard work. 
I am slowly getting hooked on these little tanks. My last purchase is a T75 which is planned for completion in 2007and I promise to make this one as original as possible. I wonder what it will cost me to keep my wife happy this time.

Dave Arrighi
Southampton, Ma.
vette64c@verizon.net 

November 5, 2006

Edited by Savageman, July 31, 2014 - 02:55 PM.

• Clint, panzersarebest and Panzerguy have said thanks

#7 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 02:56 PM

tr.gif  

OOPS.

Edited by Savageman, July 31, 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#8 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:19 PM

I haven't figured out how to Thank on a post yet , so thanks to everyone who posted so far ,the stories are great to hear so keep them coming!

#9 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hey Tom,  I just thanked you for not knowing how to thank someone.  At the bottom right hand corner of every post there is a black box that says Thanks with a check mark.  Just touch it or click on it.  I thought you were a computer guru.  Lol.

Dave

• panzersarebest and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#10 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 07:00 PM

I appreciate the help Dave, technology is not my thing
and I am using my phone when I log on so every
thing is small.BTW you have a great story. What do
U use around the yard now?

#11 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:35 AM

So you had to ask.  I use a Lawn Chief ( Murray) with a special sponge paint job.  LOL   Comments excepted.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0186.JPG

Edited by Savageman, August 01, 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• Clint, panzersarebest and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#12 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 04:08 PM

Dave I didn't realize what I was doin. Just the fact that u shared that picture makes the world a better place. One of a kind is a good thing too.

#13 panzerdan OFFLINE  

panzerdan
  • Member No: 60092
  • 24 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Several years ago I was collecting full size tractors (I also had 10 acres to spread out on). At one time I had seven of them. I was working with a fellow that came to work one day and said "the woman across the street wants to give me an old garden tractor to which I replied "great". About a week later he said "I got the tractor, stop by and look at it". That day after work I went by his house and looked at my first Panzer. It was a model A with a blade on the front. I had never heard of that brand, so I said "that's pretty neat" and went on about my way. 

Fast forward about 15 years. I told my wife that I needed a little tractor to pull a trailer around the 10 acres with fencing supplies, weed killer etc. She said OK, just keep it reasonable. A few days later I saw in the paper that the friend I had worked with and his wife were having an open house for their 5oth anniversary. I stopped by to wish them well and the friend and I got to talking. I mentioned my need for a little tractor and he said "why don't you buy the Panzer from me". I went and looked at it and we made a deal. I hauled it home and still had utilitarian ideas for this thing. After I unloaded it and the wife gasped a few times because of the condition, I started doing some research on line. When I found out how rare these were, I figured the old girl could use a coat of paint, so I painted it. 

I cleaned it up a little and squirted some Farmall red on it (because that's what I had in the paint locker) and started showing it to some friends in town. I went to one guys house and he said "I know where there is one of those" to which I replied "really". My wife had already decided that she needed something to follow me around at shows with and so after several years "we" bought our second model A. 

I took them both down to bare metal and had all the parts powder coated. They are the hit of any show that we go to. When we stop at a rest area with these 2 in the back of the pickup a crowd will gather around a lot of times. We really enjoy these tractors and they fit in well since we have recently moved off the 10 acres into town and I have no room.

• DB1, panzersarebest, Savageman and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 12:46 PM

That was a great story Dan. Thanks
  • Savageman and panzerdan have said thanks

#15 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor