• 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:06 PM

I thought it might be interesting for us to hear some stories

about your best buddy. The mainstay, that's always there, wagging it's tail

when you show up.

I'll start.

Today, after a month or so of burning the candle at both ends, I decided to

spend some time with my buddy, and took Massey into the shop with me.

She is a 7 month old English Mastiff, weighing in at 75lbs. Her dad is 240lbs,

and mom is 150lbs. Actually, she is the wife's dog, but they humor me.

DSCF2332.JPG

We where in the shop. I was doing things, and she was playing with the 3 or 4 chewy toys I'd

brought for her. Once she got bored with them, she started to cuddle up to

my legs as I tried to work. That's the nature of the breed. They seek affection, and

will persist, until they get your attention. She did, so I sat on the floor with her, and

scratched her behind the ears. She was happy. She even purred a bit. Just as I thought

to myself, how nice it was to have a buddy, that was happy, and in tune with me, she

curled around, and did what dogs do. She licked herself. After a couple minutes

of questioning her, believe it or not, she did the dreaded, "bite my own tail thing".

I guess she was in her comfort zone, but I'm starting to wonder about my Buddy.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, MH81 and 17 others have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Nice looking dog----chashing her tail--- sounds like me sometimes when I'am working on something and not getting any where.

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:35 PM

A 240 lb dog???? Holy dogs that's huge !!! My son has a Bernese mountain dog that's about 80 lbs. noel

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, she's a real dork.

• petrj6 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:02 PM

I love a good dog!!!  My pit bull came to us a rescue from the inner city, he is a good dog but just a bit stupid!!  When he first came to us he had the tendency to get loose and just run with no fear of the road, run rite down the middle line!!!!!  I took him with me allot of the time to try to get him socialized, one time I was headed up into the woods to drop of my tractor, I had the dog in the truck and left him there if he got out he would have run of.  While I was out unloading the tractor a friend showed up and the dog went bonkers, tried to get out the window when it was only down about 6", of course he got stuck so I had to run up and save him, got him loose and  put him in the bed off the truck, well that lasted about three seconds and out he was running all over heck and gone.  Not such a big deal i was in the middle of the woods so I let him go for a min and then called him back.  Well he was so exited he ran back to me a full tilt and never veered of or slowed down hit me in the shins at a full run, took me out of my feet and down in the dirt I landed rite on hi and was able to get ahold of his collar but got pretty bunged up in the process.  Like I said A bit stupid, but he has gotten better over the last few years and I do love him, they become part of the family.

The pit is blaze and the rotti is JJ, I swore up and down I would never have a pit or rotti but wound up with each as recue dogs.  Bothe are good boys but I am always carefull with them they are dominant dogs.

Attached Thumbnails

• izabelle 043.JPG
  • izabelle 035.JPG

• MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:37 PM

My sister bought a cabinet business and two dogs were included. She texted me pics and told me one of them was going to get shot. She couldn't handle two dogs. I told her flip a coin. Instead, she texted my wife. Next thing I know, we're making a Sunday trip to go get a 7 year old, 26 pound wiener dog that got his own plateful at the table with his former elderly owner.

I call him my driveway alarm, high decibal edition.

image.jpg
  • MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#7 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Meet Brook, 8 years of GREAT memories and faithful companionship.  Pictures can only express how its been with her.

DPP_0019-M.jpg

Brook-L.jpg

Edited by Pager450n, July 30, 2014 - 10:17 PM.

• MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#8 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:54 PM

Meet my hound Ziva. She is my best buddy and is my shadow. I have had her since she was 7 weeks old and is now two she thinks she is a lap dog. But she is almost human you can tell when her feelings gets hurt or she happy I have never seen a dog like her if the car pulls out of the driveway she has to be in it
uzeha3a9.jpg
yzyry5e2.jpg
za7ama6y.jpg
The last one is where she broke her elbow playing with my wife's new bloodhound they are crazy together
  • MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:09 PM

Meet my hound Ziva. She is my best buddy and is my shadow. I have had her since she was 7 weeks old and is now two she thinks she is a lap dog. But she is almost human you can tell when her feelings gets hurt or she happy I have never seen a dog like her if the car pulls out of the driveway she has to be in it

The last one is where she broke her elbow playing with my wife's new bloodhound they are crazy together

Nice Dog!

This is our dog Ziva. I thought how cool to have another Ziva out there. Our Ziva just turned 1 last month. Her mom is a Black Lab and Dad is a Pit Bull. Very gentle and loving dog. Also pictured is our Rat Terrier Bandit.
GEDC0631.JPG

GEDC0626.JPG

GEDC0627.JPG

Edited by MH81, July 31, 2014 - 04:47 PM.

• MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#10 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:34 PM

Dogs are wonderful.

I rescued Dixie Lou, originally "tally" for the number of times she was brought back to the shelter.

She's a great dog, little over a year old now and I got her last fall. She's German shepherd/collie mix. She's a "watch dog". She watches me work and watches people walk by. Unless she's in the truck. then she's your worst nightmare. She has to protect the truck with her life. I can't take her to the gas station because she feels she has to kill the pump and the people on the other side. There's only two people that can approach the truck, me and her "dog sitter". She also has a thing for deer. Still working on that one with shock therapy.

uploadfromtaptalk1406781205191.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1406781232043.jpg

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:58 PM

Since I was a kid, there was always a German Shepherd on the property. They have almost always been the buff color.
Here is one of the last pics of Remmy. (remmington). She was always Dad's shadow, right up until he died.
This was just before her hips failed her & we had to put her down a month ago.
image.jpg

And now, without any more delay, I would like to introduce Liberty Rose (Libby)
She is a full blood Shepherd, but not nearly as lite as our normal dog. Couldn't find one lite and local.
image.jpg image.jpg
We've had her a week, but just got the name tonight. She looks like she will be good company for Mom.
Only two months old and almost house trained & kennel trained. We're starting fetch. Smart dog.
Loves short rides on Mom's golf cart
  • grnspot110, IamSherwood, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Being a retired firefighter, I've kept Dalmatians for 30 years!  Chief is our third Dal:  Rain 9-22-2010 002 - Copy (2).JPG

We picked up Dottie a little over two years ago:  HPIM3857 (Custom).JPG

As you can see, Chief was NOT impressed:  HPIM0634 (Custom).JPG

Chief is nine now & doesn't get around as good as he used to, but he's a happy guy & has his better days:  HPIM2665.JPG

And they both like being lap guys: HPIM3012.JPG

They don't know nuthin 'bout no "dawg"!   ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, July 31, 2014 - 06:31 PM.

• MH81, IamSherwood, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 12:46 PM

000_0229.jpg

My little buddy. Sugar is a Jack Russell that thinks she is a 100lbs and insists on being between myself and anyone I'm visiting with. She is now 7 years old and still has the energy of a 2 year old. Loves to ride on or in anything and go anywhere with me. They say Jack's are not lap dogs but Sug will spend hours in my lap and If I try and take a nap on the couch she usually beats me there. We can leave home for days and thanks to a pet door we never have to worry about her. She has been a peach and we would be lost without her.

Edited by Cvans, August 12, 2014 - 08:37 PM.

• MH81, grnspot110, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:34 PM

These are good stories. My friend passed away three years ago & I still miss him. He was a 102 pound black lab that looked like he jumped out of the field & stream catalog. He had the big head & huge chest. Like most labs Jake was an awesome dog. He loved the snow & creeks. He always met me when I came home from work. Two years passed & I done something I thought I would never do last year. I bought my wife a Malti-Poo. I never liked the little dogs before but I do now. This little dog Bella is like having a baby. When she sees me with a cup of coffee  she bolts to my easy chair & waits for me to sit down next to her. If I don't give her a little attention daily she goes crazy when I come into the house. So I guess I have reached that age now where it's mostly me, my wife & Bella.

Jake about a year before he died.

get-attachment.jpg

Bella when we picked her up. You could hold her in one hand. Now she's about 11 pounds.

29562_508659725826029_1467318053_n.jpg

#15 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM

My latest story started in August 1994 with a losing argument with the wife. Our son wanted a dog and I said no not going to happen as the kids had got other pets and Kare and I were the ones who ended up caring for them rather than argue all the time with the kids.

So we got this Chocolate Lab pup that had papers claiming she had pure blood. First dog I ever owned with pure blood.

As I predicted Kare and I were the ones who took care of her after a short time of the son deciding the needle shape teeth were not what he wanted in a dog. She ended up being my dog and went every where with me. Was a trying time trying to block up fire wood as she would find a stick to her liking and want to play fetch.

She was 17 when she had a stroke one night and could not get up out of her bed. Was a had time digging her grave down by the cheek she loved to swim in so much after the Vet did his Majic for a merciful death.

8-17Chip.jpg

Kare had been saying for a while she wanted her own dog, We were watching the noon news during my Christmas down time where they have the pet of the week on ready for adoption. It was a chocolate lab some thing or other. the shelter was closed till Jan. 3d by the time we got there on the 3d that pup was gone. Nothing else there suited Kare so we drove home. As I was getting ready to go to work that afternoon Kare said she was going to the near by humane shelter. When I got home from work that next morning I was attacked by an about 8 week old springer puppy She had named Bosco.

He was a hard headed male I had for got to remind Kare that males just didn't work well for me.

We got cancer bad so I had the vet do his magic so I once again was digging a grave down by the creek and his old friend Chip. Again he had became my dog, he and chip went every where with me but because Bosco had the tendency to run off and come home when he pleased he spent most of his time with a check cord..

boscochip.jpg

8-17BoscoAHHHHHHHHH.jpg

Kare was feeling like she could never have a dog of her own but decided to try again.  we drove to a shelter in OHIO to get this Visula Kare found on petfinder,com in March 2001. She was the runt of a litter a tiny thing I could hold in my cupped hand at 8 weeks old. She was as costly at the papered lab we bought as she had picked up a virus of some sort (our vet was mad they had fixed her at that young age) we assume at the vet that fixed her.

She spent one night at our home then the next 3 nights and 4 days at the vets. She also became my dog. I keep telling Kare you have to spend more than a couple hours a day with them. She was also my dog that hunted any thing includeing turtles.

She died during the night mid July 2013. She also lays down by the creek with the others who she spend all her days with. 

I decided when she died I was finished with having a dog buddy around. HA.

8-17Daisy.jpg

Daisy.jpg

ReallyDaisyJewel.jpg

Again in 2001 Kare wanted her own dog. We ended up getting one that I picked out and said was mine all mine a. Shir pia yellow lab mix. She was only about 10 weeks old but badly abused in that time so was afraid of about every thing for several years. She also has seizures every so often but over time she had less and less of them.

In 2012 a month before Bosco's cancer popped up she had a stroke and was paralyzed in her hind quarters  After the vet visit I laid her to rest down by the creek with chip and a month later nearly to the day Bosco. She loved to sit on the hill top and watch the birds and stuff down along the creek.

jewel.jpg

fc65ecbe1.jpg

:D   Al

• MH81, IamSherwood, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks