#16 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I have a 20/50 GT that looks a lot like your 18/46. It has enough to power a plow. I am in the process of finding out more about mine. Mine has an onan 20 horsepower. I assume yours has 18 horsepower. Plenty of plow power.

Yeah i think it would. I dont know how long the rear diff would last though. I think I have decided to buy another type of tractor for plowing. I would have to fab a sleeve hitch for my mtd. I dunno might one day just for fun.

#17 MTD Tradesman OFFLINE  

MTD Tradesman

• Member No: 2221
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 02:51 PM

I have an MTD Tradesman 1846 very similar to yours that I just sold for $50 if that says anything. Restore a John deere. The 90's and newer MTD's just don't measure up to the quality of Cub Cadet or John Deeres. Mine is a 1992 model and I can honestly say it hasn't mowed the grass without problems in the past 5 years; in fact, it's only mowed grass 5 times in the last 5 years. lol. You may have a better tractor than mine and maybe mine was a lemon, but if I was going to put my money in a restoration, i'd put it into a mower that was better in the first place. Cheap varidrive tranny, weak frame, and thin body accompanied with a big-box Briggs & Stratton engine make the poorly and inexpensively designed MTD Tradesman a cheap tractor all around.

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Josh now has a Case 446 repowered with a 20hp Onan. He's moldboard plowing like a mad-dog too! lol

#19 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yeah I have moved on to bigger and better things but the old MTD mows great starts every time. I am going to sell it but it's going to be for a lot more than that or I'll just keep it. lol

#20 MTD Tradesman OFFLINE  

MTD Tradesman

• Member No: 2221
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:08 PM

lol if yours is in running, working condition i'm sure it's worth more than mine lol. I sold mine as a parts/project tractor lol. Good luck with your Case 446!

#21 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:48 PM

i would say that it is an OK tractor, but certainly not great. mtd no longer makes an 800 series(which is what you have) "yard machines" garden tractor. i remember these tractors when they were new since i worked at a small engine shop at the time. when they were new they werent a bad value but i dont think i would waste my time and money restoring one. they could handle a tiller but if i remember correctly it wasnt a live PTO meaning that the tiller had its one engine. not exactly the most heavy duty setup. i think it also had a hollow front axle, an aluminum transaxle, and a vertical shaft briggs i/c twin. the i/c twin has a neat sound but i dont think i would consider it a real heavy duty engine. if you are going to restore a garden tractor spend your time and money on something a little heavier. buy an IH cub cadet, john deere gear drive built before 1987 or hydro before 1992, wheelhorse, or old bolens. i wouldnt suggest a cub cadet built much after 1981 either, insist on an IH built machine. they are the best. anything produced after 1981 is just another product of MTD(yuk).

the mtd you have doesnt compare to a real heavy duty garden tractor as real garden tractors are built more like small farming tractor.