#1 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 11:41 PM

Hi I am new to the site and new to the idea of restoring and using these great old tractors again around the house. I really want a stout old lawn tractor with a 3 point for mowing, plowing, grader blade work, and possibly front end loader work. But am not sure what kind to get. I have looked at Farm King around 1500.00, looked at mf 1655 for around 1700.00 and case444 for around 1000.00. Would love to have any of them. I have two lawn mowers right now one is a murry only good for mowing and a bigger MTD garden tractor it is a 18.5/46. I have looked up the #'s on it and I think it is a 1996 model with a 18.5 hp briggs twin cylinder it has a 6 speed transmission with high and low making it virtually a 12 speed. bigger tires on back 23 9.5 r12 but not too big runs pretty good have ordered a new carb kit and new plugs. I was wondering if it would be a stout enough tractor to fab a sleve hitch and maybe do some plowing it doesnt have any hydro's so it would have to be a manual lift. I thought maybe could use the deck lift handle and link up to it some how to make a rear lift hitch or (just throwing this out there haven't done any engineering on this but) hooking up a hydrolic pump to the pto in place of the mower deck. Would love any thoughts on the MTD if it is worth it or should I try and sell as a mower and buy another more appropriate tractor. Any advice is welcome.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Welcome To the Forum :wave:

There are many Good brands and makes of older Garden Tractors out there. Bolens, Case, Massey ect...

I'm not too knowledgeable on the MTD series so I cannot give you an answer whether you will be ok using the MTD you have now.
  • JoshBrown said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:40 AM

JoshBrown,:welcometogttalk:glad to have you with us.

As Brian ( Bolens 1000 ) has said,there are a lot of good,rugged, and reliable garden tractors out there.You'll just have to look around and see what catches your eye.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:38 AM

:wave: JoshBrown Welcome to GTTalk! I don't know anything about your MTD, but I would say that the first thing you should look at is whether or not it has a sturdy frame under it. Also, keep in mind that these types of changes can be a challenge both physically and financially. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it, just want you to be sure that it's something that you're ready for. As was mentioned above, there are plenty of good older machines out there that will do what you want without modifications, but you'll spend some money getting one. It's up to you. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. BTW, we love pictures, and a few of those might help us help you determine if the MTD is a good candidate for the upgrades that you want.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Welcome JoshBrown. There are sleeve hitches available for MTD models. Often they are found on Ebay. We have a few at Dad's place. He has some MTD equipment, as well as more traditional stuff. I don't know much, but if you can, post some photos and I'm sure one of us here could point you in a good direction.

#6 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 12:36 PM

file:///C:/Users/Lindsay/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/Users/Lindsay/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pngPicture 003mower.jpg Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes. I am excited to be able to talk tractor with other people who are excited as I am. These are not pictures of my mower but are pics that I found of one like mine. Same color same everything but mine is in slightly better shape but not much. Mine has writing on the sides of the cowls that say MTD then underneath it says yard machines in smaller letters 18.5hp/46"cut. It has a two pins in the back which I would guess to be where you would hook up the sleeve hitch. It also has a slot cut in the right fender and a connection on the bottom of the deck raising handle for what i guess as hooking up the linking rod from hitch to handle. Do you all think it would be stout enough for plowing ect. or should I look for a more appropriate GT.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 006mower.jpg
  • Picture 001mower.jpg
  • Picture 007mower.jpg

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Personally, if that's all you had for plowing, I think it would plow. It would not be ideal in my opinion.
We don't have one quite like yours, but pretty close. If you already had the sleeve hitch and plow, I'd say go for it. If you have to look for a sleeve hitch and plow, I would look for a different tractor as well.
There are so many great old Garden tractors out there, that would be very capable of ground engaging equipment, snow blowers and lawn cutting, that I would suggest you look around here, ask many questions and check Ebay, craigs list and your local classified ads to find a GT that would work for you.

#8 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Well I thought if the tractor could handle it i would put a few buck into it and make something out of it.
tires 100.00
sleeve fab probably 50.00
I got about 200.00 in it.
I could probably sell around here for 200.00.
The big question should I sell and save my money on fabing a hitch and tires or if I put the extra money in this tractor and have at least 350.00 to 400.00 is it worth it or should I spend another 400.00 and get a case 444 or the like for around 800.00 to 1000.00.

Edited by JoshBrown, February 05, 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:18 PM

JoshBrown welcome and check this out, it might help you in deciding what to do and what you have.
>Is there a difference between a garden tractor, riding mower or lawn tractor? - Blogs - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:44 PM

Josh,:welcometogttalk:

Welcome to the "GREATEST SITE ON EARTH" for Gt's anyway, LOL. If it were me, I would sell both my lawn tractors, I have people sell those same type and age tractors around here in central, TX. for around 300.00 to 400.00.. I would list them on CraigsList in your area, that seems to be the best place to sell those tractors. If you can't get what you want for them, don't sell them. Take the money you make off of your sales and buy a good Garden Tractor, You can find a nice used unit for less than 800.00 and lots of times with more than just a mower deck included.
Thats my 2 cents worth, and I hope it helps. When you are ready to buy something, just get on here and ask about what you are looking at, everyone here knows what things are going for and can give you their opinion.

#11 Bolens 853 OFFLINE  

Bolens 853

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1950
  • 4 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think if a Snapper rear engine rider can plow your MTD can.

snapper_rear_engine_rider_w_snow_plow_425_hollins_area_8766552.jpg

#12 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I think if a Snapper rear engine rider can plow your MTD can.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10161[/ATTACH]

I was talking about garden plowing.

#13 Bolens 853 OFFLINE  

Bolens 853

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1950
  • 4 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 01:24 AM

:brain_fart:Sorry

#14 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 10:29 AM

oh thats ok lol

#15 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have a 20/50 GT that looks a lot like your 18/46. It has enough to power a plow. I am in the process of finding out more about mine. Mine has an onan 20 horsepower. I assume yours has 18 horsepower. Plenty of plow power.