23 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:29 PM

So lately I have been selling hay and some junk around the farm on craigslist.

I put my phone number down at first with "call or text between 9am and 8pm". So I only got text messages and a bunch of no shows. I then changed it to "Calls only, between 9am and 8pm" I get one call and a bunch of texts that I ignored hoping they would call later. The one who called came and bought 36bales of hay, all that her little trailer could hold. Now I still have 300+ bales and the rest of my junk for sale. Still no callers, and people are texting me at midnight now asking if such and such item is still for sale.

I quit doing the email deal because of the no shows. I thought maybe if people had to make an effort to call me it would be different. No such luck.

End rant: stepping off my soap box. Also turning off my phone so I won't get woke up again.
  • hamman, tinbender7 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:52 PM

I now only except phone calls. This mostly weeds out the clowns that like to joke around. Before I would get several messages & emails but no shows.
  • trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:28 AM

I never post my ph# online. The spambots scoop it right up and it makes its way to every scammer/spammer/solicitor phone list in the world. I accept email only and provide a ph# once im convinced I have a human being on the other end. Ive been stood up a few times but always on my terms so Im not waiting around or changing my plans. Most times, an interested party shows and most of those times, they take my junk home with them.
  • tinbender7, LilysDad and Rock farmer have said thanks

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:12 AM

Sad to say we've all had bad experiences with selling stuff online,, too bad there's a bunch of idiots out there with nothing better to do, but try to steal your info and scam people somehow,,,.the price we have to pay for the day's of modern technoligy I guess

• trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Wait until 'Brandy" emails and tells you how much she admires a big man with 300 bails of hay, and that she would like to get together with you.

• tinbender7, smokestack76 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:56 AM

I would much rather weed out the scammers, which is not hard to do, than sell stuff like I had to when I was a kid.  Write a letter to the local classifieds, wait 2 weeks for it to be posted. 

I've posted stuff on craigslist, 30 minutes later had stuff sold and cash in my hand.  It's great!

Put your phone on silent at night.  I do that every night when I go to bed.  People have no respect and will call or text at 3AM and think nothing of it.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 30, 2014 - 08:34 AM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wait until 'Brandy" emails and tells you how much she admires a big man with 300 bails of hay, and that she would like to get together with you.

I emailed back and forth with one of those type emails for months!  It was a good time I wish I still had all the transcripts.  Basically it was a girl from Spain who had moved the Bethlehem , WV and wanted someone to date.  I typed out lots of long, long emails baiting this one.  Finally I hadn't heard from "her" in a week and thought my fun was over.  Then she emailed me and said sorry for the delay in emails, I had to fly to Spain because my mother is in the hospital.  She has butt cancer.  I hate to ask I need 5,000 USD to pay for her treatment, and I do not have it.  If you could send me the money western union when I fly back home we will get married.  I lead it on for a few more days, and finally they caught on that I was messing with them.

• GTTinkerer, LilysDad and robert_p43 have said thanks

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:41 AM

you can usually weed out the spammers by the email or text.   It usually starts out with the exact heading of your ad.  Then asks if it is still available.   LOL  Everyone knows that if it wasn't, you would take down your ad to stop unwanted calls.  Then the next thing, around here anyway, is "please reply to my personal email address" which is usually a gmail address.

The texts always have an unknown area code, and if you do a reverse phone number search, it is either across country or it is VOIP (voice over internet protocall)  and if you were to try to call it, you get no one.  LOL

Oh, don't reply to the emails, they bounce back a virus.  Ha!

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:43 AM

I emailed back and forth with one of those type emails for months!  It was a good time I wish I still had all the transcripts.  Basically it was a girl from Spain who had moved the Bethlehem , WV and wanted someone to date.  I typed out lots of long, long emails baiting this one.  Finally I hadn't heard from "her" in a week and thought my fun was over.  Then she emailed me and said sorry for the delay in emails, I had to fly to Spain because my mother is in the hospital.  She has butt cancer.  I hate to ask I need 5,000 USD to pay for her treatment, and I do not have it.  If you could send me the money western union when I fly back home we will get married.  I lead it on for a few more days, and finally they caught on that I was messing with them.

You crack me up!  :rolling:

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Butt cancer??? Whew, I didnt know that was a clinical diagnosis...

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:04 PM

So,...this has gone from a Craigslist Irritation to a butt Irritation,.......priceless.

• MH81, GTTinkerer and KennyP have said thanks

#12 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:21 PM

So,...this has gone from a Craigslist Irritation to a butt Irritation,.......priceless.

Very much so! I did manage to set up two appointments for people to come look at things tomorrow and friday. Hopefully they show.

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 03:22 AM

Hopefully, it's the waiting that gets me.

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Butt cancer??? Whew, I didnt know that was a clinical diagnosis...

My wife works in a medical office and deals with the insurance codes.  I'll have her check if there's one for butt cancer. :D

FYI, there is an insurance code for "dropped dead"

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 10:14 AM

The funny part was she sent me a picture of this Spanish woman in a hospital bed, with a dr standing beside her.  Those scammers try real hard!

• trowel said thank you