• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ok even though the Speedx looks good in the pictures, its really a mess. I started to rebuild the bad areas tonite and should be able to get it back to working like it was built originally. We found the following bad things, see the pictures,

speedx repair 002.JPG speedx repair 007.JPG

speedx repair 011.JPG speedx repair 012.JPG

speedx repair 008.JPG

This is the poor old engine mount that someone modified. Used to be a slider, and then it became a nonworking belt tightener, We cut  it off, with a thin wheel of the 4" grinder. Lucky for me, the factory drilled holes all the way though the mount bar, so after some grind down, I punched the slugs out and now have the original holes to reuse. Once I get some 3/4 round stock purchased, I can start the process, of replace the mounting things and get it to a slider again.

speedx repair 003.JPG speedx repair 005.JPG speedx repair 006.JPG

Your looking at a bad picture of the place where they cut a chunk out of the frame. Have no idea what the purpose here was ,as there is no part missing.  We also have a crack in the wheel. They are cast, and since its small, I might not do anything about this.  Not sure what the heck this bearing is trying to do, looks like someone replace the factory part with this no fitting item. It does however work and turn correctly, so again, I may not fool around with. There is an amazing amount of old grease here that was paint right over, and a lot of the other paint is thin, so may repaint the whole tractor at a later date.

• earthgrinder, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:08 AM

Hard time for me to follow all this. What model is this? Not the type frames I have on my tractors. Don't think there is supposed to be a bearing in axle, they were just bronze bushings used there and did need a lot of grease to be used there.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:11 AM

Good start there Jeff.

Mines had two tubes with two flat stock welded on top for engine mounts, back side of the right tube braket had a hinge point for the tensioner rod.

Edited by trowel, July 30, 2014 - 05:13 AM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hard time for me to follow all this. What model is this? Not the type frames I have on my tractors. Don't think there is supposed to be a bearing in axle, they were just bronze bushings used there and did need a lot of grease to be used there.

Grumpy, it's a Speedex walk behind, not rider. 

Edited by TAHOE, July 30, 2014 - 08:41 AM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:43 AM

A Speedex walking tractor is pretty unique, especially 'round here.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Tonites playing got us almost back to a proper mounting system, then I found I needed a 13/16" drill to get the clearance the brackets need to slide freely back and forth.  I'll have to take them to the machine shop and see if they can bore out to the right size.  Next we start to remount the control handle, and get the rod back into the correct hole. Had to know off the junk part they welded on. Lucky me that someone couldn't weld, and one hammer whack it fell off on the floor.  Once I get the mount parts done and figure out the return springs. I can construct the linkage between the mount and the handle.

speedx 2 001.JPG

speedx 2 003.JPG

speedx 2 002.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Looking good Jeff, is that color right for the Speedex walking tractors. I thought they were red similar to the Wheel Horse tractors? 

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Looking good Jeff, is that color right for the Speedex walking tractors. I thought they were red similar to the Wheel Horse tractors? 

well a couple of guys told me this was right, but I cant find any photo evidence of it so far. The color of this one seems to be the same as a Simp, or an AC tractor. I'll probably go with it for now until research shows something else.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Here is a link to the Speedex site with photos of both orange and red 2 wheelers. Maybe someone there might know whats right.

http://www.speedextr...elPictures.html

You already know of this site I'm sure but thought I'd post it anyway.

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 03:45 AM

Mines was red, not much but in certain spots like under bolts and such, more like international harvester red but the tractor was 60 something years old so i am not 100 % sure.

Pull a bolt or two, original paint should under there someweres.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Great headway Jeff. Glad to see the original stuff going back on the tractor.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Here is a link to the Speedex site with photos of both orange and red 2 wheelers. Maybe someone there might know whats right.

http://www.speedextr...elPictures.html

You already know of this site I'm sure but thought I'd post it anyway.

yes I have looked this place over and found its more confusing than working on the tractor. Don't seem to be any pattern in them, nor a general color system. almost looks like they built a different tractor every month or so. I'm thinking I like this orange paint, and when I get tried of that, it will go to pink with small green and yellow dots on it. that should keep the purists spinning for a while.

• Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Mines was red, not much but in certain spots like under bolts and such, more like international harvester red but the tractor was 60 something years old so i am not 100 % sure.

Pull a bolt or two, original paint should under there someweres.

tried the bolt pulling, but someone got to it before me and what's not painted in all grease or rusted. Its a perfect example of what not to do when redoing a tractor. I cant figure out for sure what model its supposed to be, as every model C I've viewed is different in some place. I have ran across this with the WH walker also, seems like each one is an improvement over the week before unit. In the end i'll be a lot close to factory than its seen for several yrs.

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Come on with the pink with poke-a-dots, seen pink JD, MF and Sears, why not Speedex !

I never fully knew what mines was, model C was the closest but like yours it was slightly different, there was nothing on the tractor itself by way of model/serial numbers exsept for some casting numbers, bit of a paradox.

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:35 PM

tonight's progress got us a motor mount that now slides. By fooling around with linkage bar, I finally got an idea of what holes to use and where it should mounted to the frame. Have to thread the linkage rod and do a bit more welding to mount rods, then I should be about done. Had a another discovery moment with the paint, when I decided to pull the handle grip off and found red under it that looks to be original.

speedx 3 001.JPG

speedx 3 003.JPG

speedx 3 002.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks