• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • Member No: 49492
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I picked up a second AC over the weekend at a local auction. Its a later model 916 with all its wiring stripped out. There's what appears to be a brand new 1987 Briggs 16hp engine under the hood.
The ignition kill switch, voltage regulator, and headlights have no wiring.
There's a brand new four wire ignition switch, with terminals marked D, B, S, and C. I figured out that B is for battery, and S is for the starter solenoid wire, but I'm not sure about the voltage regulator wire. (The VR has a single red wire, the other two yellow wires are connected to the stator wiring under the flywheel. I also need to hook up the magneto kill switch wire, which needs to be grounded to stop the motor.  I've had it running already simply by jumping the starter, the trans works, the hydraulic lift works, and the tires look new. There's a new steering wheel and new upper steering bushing with it as well that I've got to install too.

Also, how did the headlights originally power up on one of these? Its got a headlight switch and two headlights but nothing in between.

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:41 AM

What type is the B&S and have you searched in the Manual Library?

Edited by jd.rasentrac, July 30, 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#3 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:06 AM

The motor is a 326437 cast iron Briggs.

I didn't see anything in any of the posted manuals that gave individual ignition pin application.

Does the red or B+ terminal of the Voltage regulator get full time 12V or switched power from the ignition switch?

Edited by neverenough, July 30, 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:10 AM

The red B+ always means battery power.

#5 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:39 PM

The starter lug is marked B+ too but it don't get full time power from the battery, its connected through the solenoid.

I was thinking that if the alternator circuit was powered up all the time it would draw the battery down when its parked?

I did a check on the four pin ignition switch and none of the ignition switch terminals are grounded, all are dead in the off position, one hot in the start position and two are hot in the run position.

I ordered a 5 pin 3 position switch with a grounded pin. The 5 pin switch I ordered will give me a Battery terminal, Starter terminal for the solenoid, and a ground pin for the magneto kill wire.

On the four terminal switch, the D and C terminals are hot in the run position, I'm guessing that the C terminal means Charge?

#6 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:05 PM

The proper switch for that engine would have five posts. B, M, S, L, and G. What do the wires coming from the stator look like. (Photo?)

The issue is that the original wiring harness was built to wire a Kohler K341 which had battery ignition. If you hook up that wiring to your Briggs you will burn up the magneto.

Here's a link that may be of help. http://www4.briggsan...replacement.pdf

Edited by skunkhome, July 30, 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#7 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 04:04 AM

The proper switch for that engine would have five posts. B, M, S, L, and G. What do the wires coming from the stator look like. (Photo?)

The issue is that the original wiring harness was built to wire a Kohler K341 which had battery ignition. If you hook up that wiring to your Briggs you will burn up the magneto.

Here's a link that may be of help. http://www4.briggsan...replacement.pdf

I ordered a switch for for a magneto ignition with five terminals and three positions, it should give me what I need.
There is no original wiring harness present, only the wiring to the lights and battery cables are there.

The VR has three wires, two yellow, and one red, the two yellow wires are in one plug and connected to the two black wires coming from the stator. The VR is a small rectangular box mounted on the fan shroud atop the bump out where the starter drive sits.

I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow in the daylight if I get home at a decent hour.