• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eulogy OFFLINE  

Eulogy
  • Member No: 59661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have a white GT2055 with this briggs motor on it.  The problem is that it appears the fuel pump is overpowering the float and needle valve.  Once started a stream of fuel comes out the bypass tube.  I have torn apart the carb twice and it appears to be functioning as intended.  I am wondering if there is to much blow by and it is overworking the pump.  Any thoughts?

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

I don't know much about your engine. It reminds me of a faulty needle valve even tho you checked that. 

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Change the needle and seat there is a part number some where for that also make sure the float it not sinking (fill a soup can with gas and drop it in make sure it floats atleast half way)

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can go to the Manuals Section and download the engine manual for info on troubleshooting. Good Luck, Rick

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:57 AM

I am also thinking the float is not closing all the way, the needle and seat may need replacing.

Remove the fuel line from the pump to carb, plumb a line from the carb to a spare fuel tank say from a lawn mower, fill the tank with a little gas and hold a few inches above the carb, if it leaks it is the float, if not then it could be the blow by, using the same fuel tank mount is safely someweres next to the tractor a few inches above the carb, start the tractor and check the blow by tube.

9 times out of 10 it is the carb.

#6 Eulogy OFFLINE  

Eulogy
  • Member No: 59661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I did a static test and indeed the needle will not stop gravity fed fuel.  I tried flipping is upside down and back upright and 4 our of 5 times it slowed to a drip so something is definitely hanging up.  So I disassembled the carb again.  It appears the seat is non removable and the needle is poly tipped.  The float did "float" in fuel.  Not as high as I would prefer but it is weighted lopsided.  My only quandary now is if I want to spend $80-$100 on the float, needle and a couple gaskets and hope that fixes it OR $200 for a new carb (updated model) minus the shut off solenoid.