Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:31 PM

25350 would make it a '68 for sure. It is a Suburban 12. Super 12s had a different grille but are otherwise the same machine. A starter / generator and solid state ignition would be correct for the 68.
NICE FIND!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:43 PM

I think it's a 68 # 917-25350 some Tecumseh engines had S/G and SSI units.
Did you see this site>newsuburban
  • MH81 said thank you

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Got home late from work tonight,& ran right back out the door to work on the SS12. Got the SSI pack installed & gapped, got spark. Added a little gas to the carb, & it ran for a few seconds. Optomistic, I put it all back together & tried to start it, no spark. Messed with it & took it back apart. I have no idea what was wrong, but it waited until I had ahold of the plug again & POW.

I think I had poor ground connection between the SSI and the block. Anyways, I had a little gas line leak & the usual stuff on a 40+ yr old tractor, so I didn't get it all back together, but I was able to bypass the bad gas line and shoot a few second of video. :dancingbanana:
Posted Image
  • MountainMichael said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the Video Alan :thumbs:

#20 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Glad you are "up and running", Alan!

Thanks for sharing the video.

#21 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Congrats on getting her up and running! She sounds good! Great deal BTW!

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:37 PM

Got home late from work tonight,& ran right back out the door to work on the SS12. Got the SSI pack installed & gapped, got spark. Added a little gas to the carb, & it ran for a few seconds. Optomistic, I put it all back together & tried to start it, no spark. Messed with it & took it back apart. I have no idea what was wrong, but it waited until I had ahold of the plug again & POW.

Alan, I find every time I try to check for spark by looking for it I get shocked so I have since quit looking for the spark and just grab a hold of it to test it. If the shock gets past my elbow I know I have excellent spark. :D
Can't beat the price of the good ole "Arm-O-Meter Spark Tester," and its always within reach when you need it. :D :D :D

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:39 PM

I thought the 68, 69 had points?
:anyone:

I think Tecumseh totally dropped points ignition on the HH series midway 1967.

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Well, the saga continue. Got it all back together, the fuel line fixed, et al... RUNS GREAT. The 2nd time I started it, the switch felt funny, wouldn't turn off, wouldn't let the key out. Hey, it's 40 years old, what did I expect? LOL, this realization still didn't keep me from muttering under my breath.

If anyone knows a good substitute for this switch, I'd appreciate it... Sears only wants $18.98 for sw & shipping (+tx), substitute part. I guess I'll order it tomorrow night, just in case someone knows of a crossref to a Tractor Supply or etc switch.

New #: STD365400 according to Sears, did find THIS on EBAY. Looks like the right one also.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Well, the saga continue. Got it all back together, the fuel line fixed, et al... then the 2nd time I started it, the switch felt funny, wouldn't turn off, wouldn't let the key out. Hey, it's 40 years old, what did I expect? LOL, this realization still didn't keep me from muttering under my breath.

If anyone knows a good substitute for this switch, I'd appreciate it... Sears only wants $18.98 for sw & shipping (+tx), substitute part. I guess I'll order it tomorrow night, just in case someone knows of a crossref to a Tractor Supply or etc switch.

I think TSC has the indak key cylinders.

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Alan, for $17.56 , I don't think you can go wrong on this switch.

New #: STD365400 according to Sears, did find THIS on EBAY. Looks like the right one also.

#27 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:59 PM

About ten bucks at O'Reilly Auto Parts for a generic key switch. I put one in one of my Power Kings last year. It was identical to the factory switch in the PK. They have both kinds for mag ignition and battery ignition.

#28 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 09:24 PM

A generic will not work on these. There is no starter solenoid so all the starter current goes through the switch. If you use a generic with small terminals you have to install a starter solenoid. The replacement should have big terminal lugs on two of the positions, cant remember exactly which two. if you use a generic with small termenials and no solenoid you will burn up the switch or the starter.

#29 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Nice find. Looks like a good deal for the money. Have fun with your new GT.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 11:12 PM

Bought a switch thru Ebay since I couldn't find it locally. Pt# on bag is 31-2942. Only difference is the kill & accy posts are push-on instead of screws. No biggie. The two start posts are very heavy copper clad (I think they are even thicker than the originals) and it works great!

There seem to be 2 different switches for GT's with that part #, I did a little looking for it afterwards by the bag # & there is also a John Deere switch that is NOT a substitution. Make sure the one you buy crosses to the original Roper switch # of 365401R.

Got the chains on last night & the 25 lb weights, thought I'd see what it would do with the hardpack & slush in front of the house. All I can say is "Wow" this thing will push. IDK what it'll do with 6" of snow, but it was peeling the stuff off our deadend road & where it couldn't, it was sliding the front end over opposite the plow angle. Really happy to take it for a short workout. It was dark, so no vid, but maybe tomorrow?