• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I found a SS12, guy thinks it's from 68. Has High low, separate Starter/Gen unit & no spark.
It has a well oiled replacement? deck (Sears Orig, but it's steel, not Mag), original snowplow & a set of chains. no weights.
Did the Tec engines with the separate S/G have the old style ignition, or did they have the Electronic?
Here's where my confusion really kicks in... there is another motor on a pallet that has the tin on it that says "Electronic Ign." There is the chance that this is the original? Guy doesn't know. How can I tell at a glance which one it has?
Gentleman wans $300 for the whole kit, I asked if there was any wiggle room & he said $250 min. Should I walk or buy? The possibility of an expensive electronic ign fix scares me.
Photo014.jpg
Photo013.jpg

Edited by MH81, February 04, 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hmmm, techumsehs scare me anyway, but I think if it is in good shape you can't go too wrong, even if you had to part it out.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:31 PM

That should have the old style ignition not electroinc. Only way i now to tell at a glance is s/g old style and etectric start new style.
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Tecumseh engines that have points have this cover plate over the points, SSI engines do not.
hh 001.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 069..jpg
  • hh 002.jpg

• MH81 and MountainMichael have said thanks

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Not to ad to the confusion, but What is the difference between an SS12 and Super12? Are they the same tractor, just different years? I have a Super12 and thought that it was a 68 model year. It has a Tec engine w/ SSI.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:18 PM

I knew about the cover & forgot :wallbanging:

I will check the points cover out tomorrow, until then... would you say this is a fair price for what's there, assuming worst case sceneros ?

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:40 PM

$250 for the complete setup is good to me. Check with FireFighterEMT, he has done the conversion and also has sent the SSI to Ed Stoller for repair. The machines are good machines for what they are, a well built basic GT.

#8 Hugh OFFLINE  

Hugh

• Member No: 1954
  • 155 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Pretty sure that its a 67

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:33 PM

If 67, then OE engine should be a points based ignition I believe. Either way, not a bad price at all. Tough machines and the electronics are changeable with Ed's mods.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:44 PM

Well, I called the guy & he didn't want to come down any more... Gave him the chance to tho. LOL I spoke for it & plan on getting it tomorrow, weather dependant.

After I got home, I spent the next 1/2 hour getting the trailer from the back of the lawn. I thought it'd be a good idea to park it out of the way, but in hind site... Couldn't even get the GT5000 all the way back there, so I used 1/4" chain up to the clothesline pole, lifted the chain, rehook 2 links & repeat. Took a long time to drag it bodily thru the deep stuff. After I got it part way out, I was able to get the chains to the tractor & bring it out to the plowed area. The things we do for our toys. :laughingteeth:

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Well, she's home! And I think I found out what the deal was.

At some point in the past, the previous owner's Grandfather had this tractor just stop. He couldn't get it to run again, so he bought a new engine (at least that's how the story went). Fast Forward several years, Grandpa moved into a home, then passed... and this tractor sat in the lower garage not running for ??? many years. This winter he decided to get it running again. The Newer style ign was replaced with the system off the old engine. Still no spark. He lost interest, got laided off & put it up for sale.
PICT0025.jpg
PICT0027.jpg
PICT0030.jpg
I went & got it this morning, we had to push it up the icy drive as I didn't want to get the wife's mini-van stuck. It rolls easier than any tractor I've ever pushed... but I want to do more than push it. No spark situation was the old style coil was bad. He'd gone thru all that work and installed bad parts. The new style stuff was with it & it ohm read OK, so I converted it all back. Still no spark. Upon closer examination of the coil, someone had allowed it to hit the pins on the flywheel. This damaged the pin & turned it in the resin.
PICT0038.jpg
Tuning it back & seating it properly allows it to produce a spark.
After getting a pop-pop, I removed the coil & am epoxying the pin back into place.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Here's hoping this is the fix, if not... I'll be doing a conversion or buying another SSI.

PICT0028.jpg
PICT0029.jpg
PICT0026.jpg
PICT0031.jpg
Total Package: 1969? SS12, Replacement (great condition) mower deck, Heavy Duty Snow Blade, Extra Engine (complete, no spark), set of owner's manuals, 2 sets of chains, and a mystery Moldboard Plow.
plow.jpg

If anyone can ID the year, it'd be appreciated. It's a 6 speed (H/L range) with a Tech 12. Model # is wiped off,
The best I can get with the use of imagination is 917.25350. If that's really the #, then I found a listing online that shows it as a 1968. It might also be 917.25550; 1970
What doesn't jive is that it has the SSI. I thought the 68, 69 had points?
:anyone:

Edited by MH81, February 14, 2011 - 12:51 AM.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:55 PM

Looks like you did pretty good there, a lot of stuff for the money and sounds like your going to get it running without spending a lot.

#13 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:03 PM

wow that be the deal of the month almost beats free

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thats a great deal you got there! The moldboard is not a sears, IDK what kind it is. The deck looks great. The extra engine can go onto Ebay and probably recoup your money. Google Ed stoller, i think he is charging less than $50 to repair the SSI.

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Alan, Wow Dude, Way to go. What a deal, Congrats to you my friend !!!