Garden Tractor Forums banner

990 Caught Fire. Super Build Time...

3K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  BairleaFarm 
#1 ·
I almost cried. 35 years the mower has been mowing. I was mowing tonight and the gt started running ruff. I drove it to the shop to change the filter since I've had some dirty fuel issues. About the time I got to the shop it was running hot. I could feel it on my feet. I opened the hood and poof. It was ablaze enough I had my son get my phone to call the fire department. I had it under control enough we didn't need to call.

Battery melted, wiring gone, tank gone, belts gone, engine locked up, heat cracked the intake so the carb fell off.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Fender

I know the rear end is junk so what do do?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Wow! Really sorry to hear about this but I'm glad no one got hurt.

I know the GT funds aren't there right now but realistically, you could probably buy another one of these in good working order for less than it would cost to piece meal this one back together. Plus you would have this one for parts.

Reactions: boyscout862
#9 ·
Ebay the good parts, junk the rest! C'mon, sometimes you just gotta Let Go and move on. Would be cost prohibitive to rebuild. You could buy another running one for the same money IF you REALLY had to have a 990. I sold mine for $300, bet you can't fix this one up for that or less. LET IT GO! Turn history page and go to another one of your brands, and forget the MTD.

#10 ·
David, I know too well how it feels. Watched my Honda Scrambler 90 burn when I was barely a teenager. Watched a 5,000 bale stack of straw bales burn 25 years ago, hit by lightning the night we finished the stack (no insurance....gonna take that out the next day), then a few weeks ago, watched my our barn burn along with 125 rolls of hay, and our beloved Massey 175...only the barn insured. SUCKS! I'd find another 990. Be patient...they're out there.

#11 ·
Sorry to hear your tractor burnt, but glad no one was hurt or any other part of your home/garage was damaged.

My insurance agent once told me that a mower was a necessity, therefore my home-owners insurance would cover the loss.......BUT since I have 10 or 11 GT's (lost count) I don't know if he still feels that way!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nasty. Sorry to hear that. Hard to say what to do. All good replies. I would let it sit for a few days and think about it. Don't junk it to soon !!! Noel.

Good point about the insurance.

#14 ·
I agree park it, count your blessings especially since no one was hurt or fire spread somewhere else. I myself love the 990. Parts are are out there so be patient & keep us informed. By the way sometimes the bearing seals will melt & make you think the engine is locked.

#15 ·
Damn the starter/gen is also locked up. With the rear end messed up I just don't feel like it's worth fixing. To get it running good again I'd need the dash, tank, hydro, regulator, redo the wiring, find another carb mount, all the belts, and redo the wiring. Got the thing pushed in the shop. The ramps don't seem steep until your pushing your gt. I dunno, tomorrow is a new day.

#22 ·
It's really hard to loose a long term mower/GT like that. Almost like an old friend passing! Do you know what caused the fire?

#23 ·
I don't know.
I've thought about it and with all that would needed to be fixed it would be just to much. I have decided to part out some parts and use the frame for a build. This mowing season is a loss so I that gives me almost 8 months to get it back mowing and few months to have it ready for the fall plow day.

#25 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tear down has become. I had a ct scan in my hand morning so hopefully they well know where the bone fragments came from that showed up on the xray. I wish I had the ability to hold tools as I'd like to get some of the role pins out. I'll have to wait until I get some help before I go much further.

I've thought more about it and have decided to go ahead and do my build. I've got enough parts to build one.

Attachments

#26 ·
attachicon.gif
20140731_213840.jpg

Tear down has become. I had a ct scan in my hand morning so hopefully they well know where the bone fragments came from that showed up on the xray. I wish I had the ability to hold tools as I'd like to get some of the role pins out. I'll have to wait until I get some help before I go much further.

I've thought more about it and have decided to go ahead and do my build. I've got enough parts to build one.
That sounds good. It really doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Keep us to date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.