Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 330 - Low Compression #3 Cylinder - Help :-)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • Member No: 15069
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi there, I just bought my first diesel JD garden tractor. It is a 330 model. She's a pretty nice looking tractor from 5 feet away and I am hoping that with your help, I might be able to get her back to her former glory. The machine has about 1600 hrs and started dying after about 20 mins of work time. It went to the JD dealer and they found 280 psi on cylinders 1 & 2, but 50 psi on #3 (front of tractor, furthest from rad). When it's cold, it can take 2 or 3 starting cycles to get it running and then the mechanic said that the oil/fuel creates a wet condition by then which boosts compression. 20 minutes into working when the cylinder condition dries up, it goes back down to 50 psi and stalls. The unit has a completely new fuel system and cylinders 1 & 2 have new/newer injectors.

I'm wondering if this is a typical motor failure for this model of tractor? I bought it as a flyer for the value of the usable parts, but think I might take a crack at re-ringing the faulty cylinder.

Your thoughts, experiences? Cheers.

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:33 PM

could be a bad heads gasket,  Im curious to why they put new injectors on 2 of the 3 cylinder

• trowel said thank you

#3 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:49 PM

The injectors went over time. One recently and one a year ago. So you think the head gasket could be good for 20 mins and then start failing?

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:54 PM

The injectors went over time. One recently and one a year ago. So you think the head gasket could be good for 20 mins and then start failing?

If it was me i would have did all three as far as the head gasket i can see that once it heats up and expands could lose more pressure.  is there any oil residue around the block or the head?  does it use oil? smoke?

• trowel and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:43 AM

yep, first try a new head gasket!

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:25 AM

If you are changing the headgasket make sure the head and the top deck of the block are level - you can use a straight edge standing on edge to do it.

#7 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks guys, I think I might have some time today to start looking into this. I don't have a diesel compression tester, so still trying to figure out where I might be able to borrow one as I am in Canada and do have a Harbor Frieght type price available for that tool.

#8 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 02:58 PM

My son just cut 12" high grass for 45 mins and couldn't get it to stall as per previous owner….he said 20 minutes it should cut out.