• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StefC ONLINE  

StefC
  • Member No: 59856
  • 127 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 12:05 PM

The Hinomoto 172 lost all ability to start and what I found was that the head gasket was rather shot.

Fitted a new alu gasket. Done by the merchant's machi and now it leaks when giving revs. The white stuff in the pic is a solution to de-rust the water ports.

Problem for me is that the Moto is 350km away at my GF's house.

So in true South African the term to use now is "Ish ish howa" which means this is a big problem 😄

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406653133.573458.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406653168.275440.jpg

Mogster

#2 StefC ONLINE  

StefC
  • Member No: 59856
  • 127 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Another problem which somebody might be able to advice on is that the lower water hose, running from the radiator to the water pump sucks close when revs go up.

Under low revs the flow in the radiator is what the doc ordered, opening up to higher revs the pipe closes up.

My diagnosis is that the radiator core is blocked on some port and can not supply demand at high revs?

Mogster

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Before putting in a new head gasket, you need to check that the head is flat within tolerances. I've spent many hours with a machinists straight edge, a file, and prussian blue dye. Small heads can be done with a piece of plate glass and very fine sandpaper or emory cloth. You will probably need to use a proper sandwiched head gasket. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 29, 2014 - 03:42 PM.

• trowel and StefC have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:04 PM

I agree, if it's still leaking afterwards, sounds like head is not flat. 

I also agree on the coolant blockage, pull the lower hose and see if you can see something up in the radiator. Probably not, the cores are probably plugged. I usually have a stiff spring inside the hose also on the lower one to help prevent collapse of older hoses. 

That blockage maybe leading to your leaking head gasket too.....pressure building up in coolant system and that is a week spot blowing out gasket. 

• boyscout862, superaben and StefC have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'am with boyscout and tahoe on this one-----check the head for flatness,if not flat get it milled,the bottom hose must have a spring in it to keep from collapsing and get the radiator flushed out----------good luck.

• trowel, boyscout862, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks