• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:27 AM

When I moved in this place Jan 1986 every thing looked so nice except the 400 feet of drive way snow covered.

I would probably never clean that drive if it were just me.

Spring came and the snow melted to show a very ruff yard from the horses that were pastured by the PO's Then one morning woke to a sea of yellow looking out all the windows. A few days later is looked as if it had snowed the dandelions had went to seed.

I need to learn lawn care so I got books from the library. I filled in the ruts divots what ever you want to call them with dirt from the wood by the trailer load making small piles then using a spring tooth harrow set shallow to spread those piles out and into the holes. which I hooked a old set of box springs to.

100_0623.jpg

That helped smooth things out a whole lot. But the next spring I again had that sea of yellow. I just decided to do the spray thing to remove 90% of that stuff. Hey I like greens as well as any one but that could have fed thousands and made several hundred gallons of the wine which I don't care for.

I also learned to mow the grass long 3 to 4 inches when finished. That has saved many a mower blade nicks from not mowing roots and hitting rocks. It also has choked out the sun loving weeds that have low growing leaves like dandelions. I never mow in the same direction two times in a row  even though some areas do not lend them selves well to do so. I use angle mowing in those spots a lot. I also blow all the grass clippings into the area where I will pass over them a second time to chop them even smaller to decompose sooner.

:D   Al

• tinbender7, Traill95, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Our lawn is just wild native grass growing on very light silty soil, and we have always mowed the way you describe. Leaving the finely chopped clippings on the grass has, over the years, built up the soil, and most people can't tell that it isn't a seeded lawn. The dandylions get mowed as soon as they stick their heads up and as often as needed and they are no longer a problem. Not that seeing the occasional pretty yellow flower doesn't please me--- after our seven month white-out any growing thing is welcome!
  • LilysDad said thank you

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 02:30 PM

I used to mow for some elderly folks and the hardest thing was getting them to let me cut it tall.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Dandelions are ignorable as far as I'm concerned.
Ruts and bumps are on the short list tho.

I prefer a short lawn to the tall stuff, I think the fleas and ticks are less of an issue that way.
  • superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Dandelions are ignorable as far as I'm concerned.
Ruts and bumps are on the short list tho.

I prefer a short lawn to the tall stuff, I think the fleas and ticks are less of an issue that way.

I'm with you on the short lawn.  If done correctly on the right breed, it will actually encourage grass to spread out from what I was told.

Ben W.

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:39 AM

We don't have fleas and ticks  in this area it seems. Skeeters how ever are a different story. Doesn't mater if the grass is an inch tall or 4 feet tall the Skeeters are in it till they burn off.

:D   Al