#16 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:58 AM

Funny how times change, growing up we never had a genny. Living in the sticks we just got use to dealling with the occasional summer time storm outting (usually  a day or 2) and the occasional ice storm outage (usually 3-5 days). Once we were "out" for 14 days. The folks live in a basement house so summer time outtings, the house temp stayed decent and they heat with a wood stove so no big deal for winter outtings. In 2009 when big ice storm came through KY they were out for 19 days... that is when dad finally called me up (I was living in TN at the time) and said "find a generator and bring it to me. The closest one was Birmingham AL... needless to say I waited a few days checking out the local box stores until they finally got some inventory.

We've got a 5500 gasser and a 3500 diesel to serve for chilling the deep freeze and the fridge. We've got all of the camping gear for lights and cooking purposes. I've got about a hundred gallons of cooking/cleaning water in the crawl space and we keep a couple of cases of water bottles around. Even though we are on county water I don't feel safe relying on it.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:02 PM

We live within 2 miles of the power companys headquarters for the area. Our power is never off more than an hour.