• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:42 AM

I was getting ready to go out for the last day of Muzzle loading deer hunting Dec. 22 2013 when the power went out. I was expecting it to happen as It had started raining and freezing the evening before. I had the jenny setting near by full of fuel and covered. We did not get the power restored till Dec 26th 2013.

Water was not a problem as I set food grade pails at the down spouts plus I could scoop up buckets of snow to melt in my wood burning furnace room.

Cooking food how ever seems to be a problem here. Electric range and the wife's fear of fire like in a gas range a no no.

I got the oil changed in jenny filled her full of fuel added staibul so she would be ready to go the next round. That round came Sunday night at 6:00 PM.

Since I didn't hook the well up to the transfer switch it was a slight problem. The creek is still full enough I could dip it out by the 5 gallon pail for sanitary issues but not drinking. Going to get that pump on line in the next week.

Micro wave Seems not to run at full power on the jenny (7500 watts) so I don't like using that during power outages. I have two Coleman back pack cook stoves one a dual fuel and one propane. Kare doesn't want her good pots and pans used on them. think a trip to the good will store for some pots and pans I can use is in order. While there a couple lamps should ad a bit of light since Kare also is not crazy about my using the Coleman duel mantle lanterns I use when  camping and to heat the deer blinds when it is really cold.

How do ya'll get by?

:D   Al  

Edited by alleyyooper, July 29, 2014 - 06:44 AM.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:50 AM

I have a small gen for refrigeration only. Heat is a KeroSun. Light is battery until that goes out, hurricane lamps too.
I am planning on canning water this year (round tuit) as it lasts for years that way. Also, there are some purification straws on the market I had considered at one point.
We have a gas stove, mom propane.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:15 AM

I have a large PTO genset to power the dairy, and each of our 3 homes we have 5500 watt small gensets.  Sounds like easy street, but we've been without line power for up to 15 1/2 days many times through the years.  Gensets breaking down, one tractor ruining an engine due to radiator blowout.  I can remember 3 instances in the last 20 years where we've been off the line for 2 weeks each.

• JDBrian, HowardsMF155, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I have a wood burner for heat, county water, and a small generator to run a few lights and the fridge.

Summer time I cook outside, winter time we can heat up stuff in the woodstove.

• boyscout862 and Team_Green have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:00 AM

I have a bunch of generators. Three years ago Hurricane Irene left us without power for over a week. First day my regular 4kw siezed its recoil and tore itself up. The backup 4.4kw ran for a day and then just died with no compression. It later turned out that the valve spring keeper fell off. I then went to an old Craftsman(1970s) 7.5kw and ran it for 12 hours per day. I used about 80 gallons before the power came on.

I now plan on building a woodgasifier to use with a very old 15kw Wisconsin v4 power generator. The wood gas only gives an engine about 50% power so I should be able to get 7.5kw out of it. After a big storm there will be alot of generators for cheap. I bought 2 for under $25 each because the new owners blew the engines(no oil). I've also picked up several for under $50 each where they tried to run everything in the house on a 5kw and burned out the generator head. When I get the time, I'll make atleast 2 good ones out of them.

This spring, I picked up a B&S 243341 engine and a Sears belt drive generator for $100 at a tractor show. It was all mounted on a piece of plywood. The engine had a mouse nest and is now cleanned and running like new. I doubt that it has 10 hours on it. It is going on my son's B10. The genereator has some cosmetic damage but produced power when I first started it up. I will make an adapter for it to use it with a GT.

There are plenty of options for electricity. I'm looking at solar electric panels for the roof. The problem is that it involves alot of money and there a many horror stories about FUBAR installations. I saw a new installation yesterday where the panels were facing NW. That just won't work.

The best option for emergency heat is still a wood/coal stove in the basement with a good flue. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 29, 2014 - 08:01 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#6 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Have an old Kohler power plant, burns a lot of gas per hour but gets the job done.  Use the Kohler to pump water, and get thing up to speed then we turn off the Kohler and hook up a small 3,000 watt generator to keep the furnace, refrigerator and a few lights on.

I can't pump water with the small generator because it is 120 volts only. We cook on a small one burner hotplate or a 2 burner lp campstove. We have a supply of canned goods and a case of bottled water on hand so we could last a week or so without going to town.

Not a fancy setup but it works fine when the power goes off sort of like going on a camping trip without leaving home.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:04 AM

We've been out for 4 days + a few times over the years. We are on a private road that's about 2 miles off the main road so when there is a lot of damage it can take a long time to get power restored. I have a 7kw 540 PTO generator I got used a few years back. Since we are on a well it's necessary to have a good sized generator. This one has a very high peak rating and the governor hardly moves on the tractor when it starts the pump. On the 2320 (24hp Yanmar) it uses about 2.5-3L/hour or about 3/4 US gallons /hr. So you need to have some diesel on hand. I normally try to keep the tractor near full and 10-15 gallons on hand. For heat we have a wood fireplace insert that easily heats the house. We don't run the genset continuous so we use Led lights for lighting. They are easy on batteries. We have a crank crarged radio, lanterns and flash lights. If I can find a good deal on one I might pick up a small inverter generator, maybe 2kw for when I need the tractor to plow snow or whatever. The inverters are more efficient at low power levels.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm surprised there aren't more diesel powered gensets available.   I would think that would provide enormous savings over  a gas engine for any length of time.  From the relativley small sample that has responded thus far, it also appears that noone is using propane either. 

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm surprised there aren't more diesel powered gensets available.   I would think that would provide enormous savings over  a gas engine for any length of time.  From the relativley small sample that has responded thus far, it also appears that noone is using propane either. 

With that being said,...

My custom built 1800 rpm Lister Petter long run utility genset at the williamsbug property for the oil heat furnace and some lights so the tenants don't freeze or just to keep the house temp above freezing should they chose to go someweres else but the Military genset is provided for cooking, running the water pump, reefer, charging batteries for inverter for computer, laptop, etc...should they stay or are forced to stay like the ice storm 7 years or so ago, at the farm we have a 5800 watt Briggs powered genset, forget the name, don't care, gas hog, hate it, will be replaced at some point hopefully in the next several years with a diesel Prime mover. We stock at least a month and 1/2 of dry goods, cans, powder milk, etc... water is drawn off from the spring in the field, in the winter snow if we really need to or just go to the other property, triple filtered and boiled for use. Electric hot plate for cooking, glass kerosine lanterns from the 1860's and 1920's provide lighting, flashlights for back up.

The dog kennel is without a genset at the moment but usually not all the towns lose power at the same time so i can pull the diesel from Williamsburg for Westhampton or vice versa.

Usually one property becomes the ''command center'' ans supports the others along with our relatives and friends help and support.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Not what I quite expected from the thread title but Im pretty much like everyone else I have 2 generators a 7500 watt and a 5500 watt.  Ive considered going larger either stand alone or PTO powered but they get spendy and for the amount of use it just dosent justify, besides we have survived for years with a 5500 watt and it runs all necessary items, adding more watts just allows "them" to run more crap that is not necessary anyways.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#11 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:19 PM

We have a England 28 3500 to heat the house in the winter. I also have a 5500 watt jenny I run every thing in the pole barn that needs running like the dog house heater and heated water dishes in the winter.

:D   Al

#12 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Our plan in case of severe power outage is to go to my grandparents. They have a 20kw Briggs backup generator powered by natural gas.
There's also no shortage of canned goods there.

#13 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:02 PM

One of these days I plan on installing one of these fancy whole house generators. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406771914.130143.jpg

The 17KW propane fired unit should be fine to run everything except maybe the AC.

Since it's gonna run 4K to buy one with an auto transfer switch, I'm in no hurry. Then I'll have to hire one of those rip off artist electricians to install it. : )

But until then we get by with two small gasoline fired units.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Our plan in case of severe power outage is to go to my grandparents. They have a 20kw Briggs backup generator powered by natural gas.
There's also no shortage of canned goods there.

Do you have a backup heat source to keep the pipes from freezing?

#15 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Do you have a backup heat source to keep the pipes from freezing?

Aside from the natural gas furnace, no.