16 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Does anyone else have the problem of finding stuff they just have to have and its to darn far away?!? :mad2: I always seem to have this darn problem. I stopped looking on ebay lately because everytime I look I find something and its to far away! IM done. Thank you for listening.

• hamman, tinbender7, Talntedmrgreen and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Have it shipped! :thumbs:

If I see something I really want I just have it shipped to me.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Know exactly how you feel Bob.

I end up having a lot of the things that i want shipped but the problem with shipping is that some times the shipping cost more than what the item is worth in the first place.

Edited by jdcrawler, July 28, 2014 - 08:05 PM.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 924 Thanks
  • 555 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have recently used fastenal to send several items all over the US I have to admit they are rather reasonable for shipping I haven't shipped anything over 200lbs so not sure where the cutoff is for the price jump Only thing I would complain about them is they never call the recipient on the other end shipped 4 times in the last two months the different stores on the other end have never called once it arrived I always have to follow up to make sure they get it
  • tinbender7 and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:20 PM

I have recently used fastenal to send several items all over the US I have to admit they are rather reasonable for shipping I haven't shipped anything over 200lbs so not sure where the cutoff is for the price jump Only thing I would complain about them is they never call the recipient on the other end shipped 4 times in the last two months the different stores on the other end have never called once it arrived I always have to follow up to make sure they get it

I never had it shiped but I had one from Wis to MI 500 pounds $160. 

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:32 PM

I know just how you feel. Everything good in my life is at least two states away, um-hmm! 

#7 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 924 Thanks
  • 555 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:34 PM

I never had it shiped but I had one from Wis to MI 500 pounds $160.

that's not bad at all for something weighing that much I haven't found anything for myself yet that I can't live without to use them to have something shipped to me waiting for something good to pop up

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have a nice group of friends that get items from one place to another one way or another.Some friends can pick up the item and other friends can relay the item a little bit closer.

Example: Right now I have a friend in NC who just purchased a tractor and attachments in Wisconsin.He is having someone from Indiana who is going to a show in Wisconsin pick up the tractor and taking it back to Indiana with him where he will then load one of his tractors that was also sold to the same person in NC and drop them off at my place in Pa while on his way to pick up another tractor in Mass.I will then deliver both tractors to NC on my trip there.His total cost for delivery will be $450.

You might consider posted in the transportation section.

• tinbender7 and karl have said thanks

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I know how you feel i find something nice and its in California and it gets the big X

so i stick to craigslist

• karl and Oldford have said thanks

#10 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 10:56 PM

try living in canada and getting stuff shipped up here, i ordered a head gasket about $12 bucks, with shipping, duty, broker $81, i told the guy just to put it in an envolope and mail it, no go, so it was road trip time to buffalo set up a usa address, had it shipped free there, went down a week later picked it up ate some buffalo wings and some cheap brown pops

• IamSherwood, oldedeeres, karl and 1 other said thanks

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:29 AM

I have a nice group of friends that get items from one place to another one way or another.Some friends can pick up the item and other friends can relay the item a little bit closer.

Example: Right now I have a friend in NC who just purchased a tractor and attachments in Wisconsin.He is having someone from Indiana who is going to a show in Wisconsin pick up the tractor and taking it back to Indiana with him where he will then load one of his tractors that was also sold to the same person in NC and drop them off at my place in Pa while on his way to pick up another tractor in Mass.I will then deliver both tractors to NC on my trip there.His total cost for delivery will be $450.

You might consider posted in the transportation section.

We call that the old iron express. The key to getting stuff moved is patience and a good friend network. I've picked up, stored and passed on for people without any money changing hands. I've had stuff needing moved and a few calls later its on its way and still no money exchanges hands. I was in this hobby long before it became ruled by the almighty dollar. Back then it was a bunch of guys willing to help one another. Its like the pay it forward principle. Reimbursemnet for gas money is nice but if you're already going that way and a buddy needs a hand, help him. Just remember that it works both ways. The only thing I haven't tried is getting stuff overseas. 

• MH81, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:03 AM

I don't know if there is anyplace in the lower 48 that would be 'too far' for me IF it was something that I wanted bad enough.

Being retired, and being blessed with a wife that loves to travel does make that possible.

For us, the trip is actually something of a plus, as we have been able to see some of the magnificent scenery that this country has to offer.

Shucks, at one point we were making plans for a trip to the Pacific Northwest to pick up a Haban Flail mower until the seller said that he could have it delivered to us for $50.00.  I'm not sure, but I think that the wife was a bit disappointed that we didn't make the trip as neither of us have been to that part of the country.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:36 AM

Like a lot, imported into the state.

Sometimes the value of the part needed to finish/complete something is lower then the shipping but if you want it bad enough the shipping cost no longer matters, fuel cost for driving is the same.

As many has said, have a network of friends who travel helps a lot too, sharing, buying and trading, all part of the fun.

• oldedeeres and karl have said thanks

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Don't stop looking because the find of a lifetime will come along the day after you stop looking.  The rush of the find is well worth the drudgery of the hunt.

Yesterday I found the one piece I needed to finish a six week project for one of my sons-in-law.  Turned out one of my old customers had the mower with the item we needed seven miles from my shop.  Bought the entire mower (labor discount on his next service/repair even) for half of what the part I need cost new, which was my next option.

• karl said thank you

#15 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:34 AM

We call that the old iron express. The key to getting stuff moved is patience and a good friend network. I've picked up, stored and passed on for people without any money changing hands. I've had stuff needing moved and a few calls later its on its way and still no money exchanges hands. I was in this hobby long before it became ruled by the almighty dollar. Back then it was a bunch of guys willing to help one another. Its like the pay it forward principle. Reimbursemnet for gas money is nice but if you're already going that way and a buddy needs a hand, help him. Just remember that it works both ways. The only thing I haven't tried is getting stuff overseas. 

I have delivered and picked up items from time to time at no cost but most of the time money changes hands as most of the time the money is the deciding factor in making the trip.

I offered to make this trip to NC to deliver two tractors and attachments weighing 2500 lbs for $250.That's almost  500 miles one way and will likely not even cover the gas but I will hit the show in Arden while I am there.This guy is tickled pink that he is getting two tractors that he would have normally had to passed up.I have made 7 stops on one trip delivering items and charging each person a little each on a trip that I would have never made if not for all the stops.

• oldedeeres said thank you