• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • Member No: 28233
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 09:28 PM

What maintenance is needed on a 42" deck on a 3410S?
The tractor has just been 'awaken' from a near 40 year sleep and I'm looking at making sure all is in good order before putting it to serious use. The deck works, in fact, I've got everything working like new, other than the surface rust on the paint,and many cracks in the seat, the machine seems to be 100%. I just want to make sure everything that needs relubing or service gets it to prevent any surprises later.

So far I cleaned and repacked the front wheel bearings and the shuttle drive planetary gears, I found grease fittings on the rear differential, and axles, both front spindles, and one on the brake pedal shaft. I know some decks use tapered roller bearings and some use sealed bearings, I see various posts about Simplicity decks using oil, some with grease, and some with sealed bearings.
How do I know which I have from 1974?

Would it be a good idea to pull the deck and rebuild the spindles now rather than wait for a failure, with the thought that the grease may be dried up or worn out?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:05 PM

The bearings are sealed in the spindles. There is no external grease zerc. If they spin free and quiet, you should be good to go. If you think anything on them is suspect, now is the time to pull them apart and inspect.

#3 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:07 AM

By the look of the deck it doesn't have much use on it, the underside paint is still intact.

My guess is that this thing got parked when it was fairly new yet and never used.

The deck sounds loud to me, but not metallic or like a bad bearing, it just makes more noise than I think it should.

The blades are clean and balanced and the deck spins nice by hand. Maybe its just that its so much deeper and heavier gauge than

other mowers I've had that it sounds different. I've mowed about two acres with it since its been up and running now and nothing has changed,

I think if I had a bearing issue it would have gotten worse by now. The deck also seems to spin faster on this than on anything I've run before.

It'll cut cleaner even when moving along in high gear or at lower RPM than anything I've owned before.

I've got a JD 112 and its deck is super quiet but I need to run at full throttle and in 2nd gear to get a good cut. The Simplicity leaves the grass looking much better after its been cut, Its a smoother cut with absolutely no missed blades of grass. It seems to lift the grass up to cut it better than the shallower JD deck.

#4 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Pull the belt off and roll each blade by hand. If they rumble at all the bearings are on the way out. They will run for some time after tat point but bearings are cheap compared to arbor shafts. All my mowers of that vintage have zerks but sealed bearings on the spindles. I think the idea is to pump in grease to keep moisture out of bearings.

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 11:53 AM

?....
I think if I had a bearing issue it would have gotten worse by now. The deck also seems to spin faster on this than on anything I've run before.
It'll cut cleaner even when moving along in high gear or at lower RPM than anything I've owned before.
I've got a JD 112 and its deck is super quiet but I need to run at full throttle and in 2nd gear to get a good cut. The Simplicity leaves the grass looking much better after its been cut, Its a smoother cut with absolutely no missed blades of grass. It seems to lift the grass up to cut it better than the shallower JD deck.

you, like many, have discovered the vintage Simplicity mower magic. No rotary cuts like those old Simplicities.

Edited by skunkhome, July 28, 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#6 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:03 PM

The belt is off, with the blades on, each spindle spins free, but with no 'rumble'. They just have zero resistance, I can spin a blade and get a few full revolutions out of it. Pumping grease into the fittings gets me some grease squeezing out of each end. I can feel no play in any of the spindles.

got a listen to a similar deck on an older Allis Chalmers B110, that one sounded about the same, maybe its just that I'm not used to the sound of one of these decks.

When I engaged the blades the first time I was surprised to see how much dust it stirred up, the other brand machines i've got just don't seem to spin up as fast. It also seems to have more vacuum than other decks. It also don't seem to put out many clippings, even when going through taller grass. It seems to chop everything up pretty fine.

#7 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Those old simplicity's are the best decks ever made!

Joe

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 10:22 PM

You may need to measure the main driven pulley on the center arbor and advise what size it is. If it is too small the mower will run extremely fast about 25% faster then it should. However the smaller pulley also makes the mower bog down easily in high grass. You have not complained if lack of power so I'm guessing that is not your situation

#9 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Without going out and measuring it, I'd guess the driven pulley is about 5.5" or 6" in diameter. I don't think they turn too fast, they sound about the same as a neighbors AC deck, its just that its got so much lift and it moves so much air. It sounds like a turbine spinning underneath.

I tried something today just for test purposes, I removed the blades and ran the deck minus the blades for a bit and the thing is nearly silent, I think its the air disturbance the deck causes that I hear.

The funny part is that it don't put out many clippings, it chops the clippings up pretty fine, almost dust.

Power wise it seems fine, since I fixed the running issue it has all the power it needs, I cut heavy grass in second or third gear, and run in fourth on flat ground. The grass never seems to bog down the tractor, I slow down more so I have a better chance to see what I'm cutting and to give it a chance to chop up the longer clippings better. Its the first machine I've had that doesn't require me to overlap every row to get a thorough cut too, it cuts clean right to the edge of the deck.

#10 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 10:29 PM

I talked my brother into buying a late model AC 700 series 6 speed (1976-77) to replace his aging 20 year old Crapsman with 22hp twin. He now tells me a couple times a month how pleased he is with the speed and quality of cut he is getting compared to what he had become used to. Great mowing machines.

#11 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:22 AM

I've got a buddy that's gone through three newer 20hp engines on his late model sears tractor, he keeps chasing after the same model over and over again.
When I asked why he doesn't just buy a better tractor, (he cuts nearly 10 acres of rough yard and field, his reason was that his Sears matched the color of his truck.

In other words, color was the reason he bought that mower, not the motor, not the deck, and most certainly not reputation.

For me, I don't care one way or the other what color my tractor is or if it matches my truck or anything else. I guess if he buys a new truck, he'll have to find a new mower.

Another buddy had a wife that won't drive anything but a red or black car, those are her favorite colors and she refused to drive any other color vehicle. She ran her black Chevy out of oil, killed the motor and had to get to work, she refused to drive their spare car because it was green and she said green was ugly.

Consumers like this is why we have all the junk we see today. They're more concerned about color than whether it works or not.

I know people that wouldn't be caught dead in a car with a dent or a particular brand.

On the 3410 deck, I decided to pull the spindles and take a good look inside. To my surprise they came apart fairly easy.

The spindles were packed full of grease, the top and bottoms of each bearing were rusty looking but the bearings seem smooth, but its getting all new sealed bearings either way for piece of mind. The original bearings weren't rubber sealed, just 'shielded' with metal shields. I picked out one of the shields and there is no positive seal, just a metal plate. I can see where the lower bearings had some rust inside from sitting.

I couldn't tell if it had been apart before or not, but it didn't look like it.

#12 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 11:23 AM

Be sure to replace the self locking nuts on the ends of those arbors. Those pulleys will wallow out if the nuts loosen.

Edited by skunkhome, August 02, 2014 - 11:23 AM.