15 replies to this topic

#1 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • Member No: 60757
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hello all!

I just registered here and plan on picking up a lot of information from you experienced owners. 

I recently bought a 2 wheel walk behind and need to know what "model" it is so I can hopefully find and get the correct manuals for it and for the implements.

The decals are still there, and all of the tags are very much readable.  What I can tell you on the tractor tag is this:  Plow-Trac Garden Tractor; Article #89-1274; Mfg #SIM-990161; Serial #19042; Montgomery Ward, USA.

I have surmised that it is a Montgomery Ward that was made for them by Simplicity.  I bought it recently and it runs like a champ.  It came with the front lawn mower, a roto-tiller, plow/cultivator, surey, buzz saw, and brush blade, and snow blower.  Unfortunately, it did not have sickle bar mower which I would love to get.

I got all of this, but no manuals.

Can anyone tell me what "model" this is and where I can get the manual/manuals for this equipment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Welcome to the forum! Can't help you out much but it sounds like you bought yourself a nice package deal there!

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 12:30 PM

welcome to the group. What we like here is pictures. So are there pictures??????????????????????????

• Texas Deere and Horse and superaben have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Welcome to GTTalk! Sounds like a nice package deal. 

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Welcome aboard, Larry!

Post some pictures and some of us who know these old Simplicity machines will be able to identify what you have.

Ben W.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 05:08 AM

Montgomery Ward sold the 1274 in 1959. Have never found info on the 990161 but it has been suggested it is similar to the Simplicity 990148.

You should find manuals here using the 99xxxx model numbers

http://www.simplicit...support/manuals

Just a guess at what you have

Front mower 990194

Tiller 990225

Turning plow 990023

Rear cultivator 990021 or 990205

Sulky 990200

Buzz saw 990032

Weed mower 990030

Snowthrower 990187

Garry

• DougT said thank you

#7 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:26 AM

I have a Plow Trac too, Welcome to the club!

#8 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.  I'm tending to think that this is a '59 model VC from the info that I'm getting.  Garry hit very close to the implements numbers and I think he nailed on right on.  I'm at work now, so I don't have the info in front of me.

I haven't had time to post pictures, yet.  I'll try to figure out how to post them soon.  I've been really busy building a chicken coop of chicken coops for my daughter and her family.  We have raised 49 chickens from day old chicks and they have been pinned up in my garage since May 15th.  We got over half of them out as of late last night. 

I have some pictures of the Plow-Trac on my phone, and I'll try to figure out how to attach them on here.

Thanks guys!

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA

#9 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Montgomery Ward sold the 1274 in 1959. Have never found info on the 990161 but it has been suggested it is similar to the Simplicity 990148.

You should find manuals here using the 99xxxx model numbers

http://www.simplicit...support/manuals

Just a guess at what you have

Front mower 990194

Tiller 990225

Turning plow 990023

Rear cultivator 990021 or 990205

Sulky 990200

Buzz saw 990032

Weed mower 990030

Snowthrower 990187

Garry

Thanks Garry for your info.  So, is the 1274 a model V, VC, or what?  I am finding some manual for these model designations, but am still waiting for Simplicity to return my email request for info.  The link that you posted sends me back to Simplicity whom I've already asked for info.  When I put in any of the numbers above, I get "no results" notification.

The front mower numbers are: 990268   1346SIM,  Cultivator  990021  1358SIM,  Tiller  990103  1450SIM. 

It has the transmission in back with the shift handle going into kind of a cone shaped tranny box.  There are 3 forward speeds and 1 reverse, but I noticed if I move a lever on the right side of the handle bars, the tractor either speeds up, or slows down in the same gear.

Any ideas?

Pictures are coming soon!

Thanks, and sorry to be so vague in descriptions.

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA

#10 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:15 PM

I don`t know what`s wrong. I get the option to click another button to download the files.

Your tractor may be like the VC which is model number 990155. That small housing on the right axle is a set of planetary gears giving you a 2-speed axle. Much better for tiller use. I suspect the odd model numbers Simplicity supplied to MW are a variation of what was in Simplicity`s own lineup. Simplicity`s tractor operator manual each year included all the models for that year - usually three starting in 1955.

Garry

#11 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hey guys!

I must be a dolt, or something.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to post pictures on here.

I took some pictures with my phone and have them saved to my documents on my computer, but I can't figure out how to upload or to go get them in order to put them on these posts.  Others have done it, but I'm just not seeing the answer.

Help!!!

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA

#12 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Use the "More Reply Options" instead of "Post". At the bottom is a box where you can go through your files to pick what you want to add.

Garry

#13 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Garry,

Thanks so much for your help.

Hopefully these pictures are attached and come out so all can see them.

Here is the Montgomery Wards/Simplicity walk behind that I bought.  Some of the attachments/implements are in the pictures.

imagejpeg_3g.jpg imagejpeg_3e.jpg imagejpeg_3d.jpg imagejpeg_2h.jpg imagejpeg_2g.jpg imagejpeg_2f.jpg imagejpeg_2c.jpg imagejpeg_2a.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg

Any help in identifying this machine so I can find manuals for it would be greatly appreciated. 

I tilled a spot with her the other day and could not believe the power that this machine has.

If it helps, the tractor has an 8 hp B&S engine with a number that starts with 19.  I didn't write down the rest of the numbers yet.

Thanks all!

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA

• Alc said thank you

#14 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:03 PM

The first 2 numbers in the last set of numbers on the engine should be the year B&S made the engine. I doubt the engine is original because it has recoil start and looks like an aluminum block. Have seen cast iron blocks only on the V-Series. Unless Simplicity supplied a bare tractor with no engine and MW supplied their own. That would also explain the odd tractor model number. I think this is what they did with the Midland produced tractors. MW sold many Wisconsin and Clinton engines on their own so their buying power made it an advantage.

Did you ever get the manuals to download from Simplicity?

Garry

Edited by GWest, August 04, 2014 - 04:07 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#15 pickettlm OFFLINE  

pickettlm
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 04:21 AM

The first 2 numbers in the last set of numbers on the engine should be the year B&S made the engine. I doubt the engine is original because it has recoil start and looks like an aluminum block. Have seen cast iron blocks only on the V-Series. Unless Simplicity supplied a bare tractor with no engine and MW supplied their own. That would also explain the odd tractor model number. I think this is what they did with the Midland produced tractors. MW sold many Wisconsin and Clinton engines on their own so their buying power made it an advantage.

Did you ever get the manuals to download from Simplicity?

Garry

Garry,

Thanks again for your continued interest in this old tractor and for trying to help me out.

I did get a response to email request for info from Simplicity yesterday.

They attached a digital copy of an original manual for it.  

For additional information for the group, there was a hand written note at the top that denotes this unit was indeed a 1959 and a Model H in Simplicity colors.  They went on to say that the Wards numbers are their model number system applied to a given unit.  The 990161 was the Simplicity Mfg number for this particular model of Montgomery Ward tractor. 

So, I guess that I've got an H Model made in 1954.  Now as far as motor goes, the manual says that it should be a B&S 5 3/4 H.P.  Mine has a B&S 8 horse motor on it.  The motor numbers are 19 0432, Type 605 01.

I will now keep seeking additional information for the H Model and how to use her.  I have changed a few of the implements on and off, and use the tiller the other day and could not believe the power that this old tractor has.  You have to be careful, or that old girl will drag you out across the yard before you can get to the controls to stop her. 

Any suggestions as to the best gear/throttle speed, planetary gear position, etc. to till under?  Any special techniques to use?

Another question I have is since I don't have the original engine, should I go ahead this winter and restore, thoroughly clean, and repaint this old girl?  

What would any of you guys do with her?

Thanks for your help.

Larry M. Pickett, CRNA