• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:21 AM

After finally getting my Shibaura 4 foot pto tiller going behind the Shi 14 tractor, I promptly destroyed the giant size cabbage and broccoli leftovers into great compost in basically one pass. Even the stumps from the broc disappeared.  With my Ardisan /Scotts walk behind tiller , it would have been  a pain in the butt job to do the same and taken forever, even though it`s a pretty good tiller.

With this experience ,I do love the pull behind pto tiller and would keep it but I would prefer to have one that is 3 foot or less wide. Which means a lawnmower size type set-up.

I saw an auction with Simplicity rider with an attached tiller....belt drive I believe, recently for about 500$. I think it was 3 foot wide and covered the mowers tire tracks. I`m guessing it would be hard to find anything smaller than 3 foot that is worth the trouble.

I`m looking for info from you experienced guys for suggestions to fill this desire I have. I`m probably going to keep the Shi / combo till at least the end of the season and longer to do some winter prep on the garden plots. It works great but I want something narrower for next years garden. Four foot works great if you have five foot between plants but is almost too close.  The Shi 14 and tiller is 4 foot wide . So maybe 3 foot wide on a smaller tractor would be better.

I`ve seen some Cub Lo-Boys and the like that may be the ticket, but some of the Simplicity type mower combos may be smaller. I might even consider a old walk behind with attachment capability

Any suggestions / experience will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I also forgot to mention the need for a 3 point hitch type setup would be required. I know not many are  made today but some of the older one have them.

thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:38 AM

So how wide are your tractor's tracks?  Surely it's wider than 36".  Or are you meaning buying a new to you tractor AND a tiller?

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,733 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:46 AM

For between plant rows, I would look for a walk behind. If you don't mind wrenching, an older Gravely would be just the ticket. Narrow, and you can get a tiller and a rotary plow. A rotary plow is half tiller and half hiller. They seem to be perfect for between row cultivating and weeding.

image.jpg
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#5 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I have a Simplicity Landlord 2012 with a rear tiller. It is great for tilling the garden before planting and after harvest. Would be even better if I had a hyd. lift on it. In between I use a Troy Bilt Pony to till between the rows. Sometimes In the mornings I use a hand cultivator as in the pic on the garden.

Attached Thumbnails

• thQOYGZMDQ.jpg

#6 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks guys...good stuff. Keep it coming....model numbers if you got `em.

Some of you may have seen my posts about my new bad habit....acquiring the Shi 14 / tiller combo in March, the Ford 1500 in April and the Farmall A in June. I also have a Scotts by Ardisam walk behind rototiller and a late model 1046 Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine ( almost as good as a Honda ). I`m gardening  two small plots . And maintaining about 6 1/2 acres...4 of which the neighbor takes hay....plus a 1/4 mile of gravel driveway.

So I don`t think I`ll be able to do it all with just one tractor/lawn mower. I watched a guy down the road just wear out 3 acres of garden with what I finally found out was a PowerKing Economy. I knew there were some older just bigger than big rider lawnmower that were real capable with the right attachments. Apparently they are mostly available up north more so than here where the Farmall cubs and A`s, etc , reign due to their use for small tobacco plots mostly and other garden type chores. Most everybody has got out of the tobacco here in the last 20 years. I have used the next door neighbors Farmall 140 a few times and really like what it does but it does have it`s` limitations after the crops get so high.

The Ford and the Farmall are right at 4 1/2 feet wide and the Shi 14 is right at 4. I would really like to find something 3 feet or less to get between the rows. I`m going to probably space my rows at 4 feet now so the little bit of cushion space wise would help. I added the second plot so I could get some more space.

In the end, I`m probably going to try to trade up the Ford to a 1700 maybe 1900 with FEL for the heavier year end plowing and driveway maintenance...and end of hay season clean up of the hay field. While Shi 14 and tiller is a pretty good setup ,Its too close the Ford in size and I don`t think it will do an FEL. The Farmall is undetermined whether it is rebuilder or not yet.

After using the Shi PTO tiller though I definitely want one for use during the season clean up type work on the garden. The Scotts went down just at the wrong time this year but it back up and running now for the fine tuning edge work on the garden.....getting to old to do the whole thing anymore.

So I`m looking for something with a 3 foot width or less, preferably a rider type but some of the good old walk behinds will be considered.

Sorry for the long post....sometimes talking it out helps put it all together I guess !!

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm thinking that a Bolens tube frame and tiller might do what you want.

Looking at the specs, the tube frames are 34" wide and the tillers are 25 & 33" wide.  The narrow tillers also had an extension available to make then 33" as well.

Bolens had 2 styles of tiller available.  The 'round back' which is a lighter duty one suitable for ground that has already been worked, and the 'square back' which was capable of working virgin ground.  Sounds like the round back would be good enough for your needs.

They are also PTO shaft driven, so worn out/broken belts would not be an issue.

Here's a pic of a round back tiller on my G10.

100_3864.jpg

Unless you are King Kong's 1st cousin, I would not recommend one of the gear driven tube frames, unless it has the hydraulic lift kit added to it.  Those tillers are HEAVY and it takes a lot of effort to lift them using the standard 'Armstrong lift'.

I'm thinking that the Bolens 1256, H14 or H16, which are hydrostatic driven and have the hydraulic lift would be the ones to look for.

The big issue for you would be that there just aren't a lot of Bolens tractors in your neck of the woods so finding one local to you would not be easy.

You would almost certainly have to look farther afield, and either travel to get one or have it shipped.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 28, 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 11:24 AM

I've never owned a Bolens or a JD, but of the ones I've owned, Allis / simplicity has the best rig going for deep churning. Turns good dirt into a fine fluff.. I've taken virgin dirt to prep'd bed more than once.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,733 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 07:17 PM

I've taken virgin dirt to prep'd bed more than once.

I almost think that should be edited, not sure why though.

You would only be able to do that once, correct?
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I almost think that should be edited, not sure why though.
You would only be able to do that once, correct?

Hilarious!

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Belt drives offer wide availability, Inexpensive components and long lasting reliability. I have shaft driven and belt driven tillers, and while I like the HD feel of the shaft drive stuff, the others are a better value and I cant say Ive ever seen a busted belt. Just finding shaft drive rear pto components can be the toughest and costliest part. But, if you have to have a legit 3pt, you will have a tough time finding a smaller offering that what you have...and it will cost quite a bit.

Every gt maker has a small tiller option. Early tractors were usually narrower than later models.

#12 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:31 AM

Good info guys.....I have looked at the Bolens before ...not knowing about the tiller though....few around here,,, will be looking though

Any info on the Ford stuff.....??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tilling