• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 08:04 PM

hi guys i was given a toro ground master, mid 80s i would think, hydro, 72 inch deck, pretty good shape all over, now the bad, it has a 4 cylinder continental motor, which is seized, the p/o, stopped using it 7 years ago after a govener problem (the engine would suddenly race) , stuffed it in a garage for 5 and 2 years outside under a tarp, i have pulled the plugs and the starter and tried turning the crank with a big screw driver, no go. i am now soaking the cylinders with release all, if all that fails how is it for parts for this motor, thanks

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#2 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 08:32 PM

The new parts for the Continental engines are very expensive. 

That should be a 327 model and have the Continental R-08 engine.

There are 2 used engines for sale on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ad798452f

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a40ca541e

The good thing is that the engines in Groundsmasters are connected to the hydro transmission by a flex coupling that attaches to the front of the crank shaft.

This makes it fairly easy to put just about any engine that you want into one of these tractors.

Edited by jdcrawler, July 26, 2014 - 08:45 PM.

• MH81, Cvans, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 09:08 PM

The new parts for the Continental engines are very expensive. 

That should be a 327 model and have the Continental R-08 engine.

There are 2 used engines for sale on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ad798452f

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a40ca541e

The good thing is that the engines in Groundsmasters are connected to the hydro transmission by a flex coupling that attaches to the front of the crank shaft.

This makes it fairly easy to put just about any engine that you want into one of these tractors.

that first ebay links i dealt with that guy for some parts a while back good guy to deal with!! would buy again

• jdcrawler and farmer john have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 01:21 AM

Before giving up, soak it for a couple of weeks. Find out which cylinder has both valves closed(piston near top of the cylinder). An easy way to put alot of force on it wil be to fill the cylinder with engine oil through the spark plug hole. When it is full with no air bubbles, screw in a spark plug to grease gun adapter. This is make from an old spark plug and a zerk fitting. You can drill and thread the zerk fitting into the base of an old plug. Attach a grease gun and pump. The grease gun can cause very high pressure in the cylinder if there are no leaks. This will usually move any piston. Good Luck, Rick

• sacsr and farmer john have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 07:45 AM

25+ years ago when I worked on golf courses across the country I bought one of those for my dad with a blown engine.  It was a 3 cylinder Renault gasser if I remember correctly.  He put a Datsun B-210 [car] 4 cylinder engine in there and there was no mods required to the frame but he did have to move the rear axle back for oil pan clearance.  Then he put on a belt drive governor and it was good to go.  Very simple conversion.