LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:28 PM

kinda greasey, but if you will boil 'em for awhile in a pot of water  first,  they bbq up just fine, and yep, you guessed it, they taste like chicken!!!!

What I had tasted more like Ground Hog.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:33 PM

What I had tasted more like Ground Hog.

You ate ground hog?

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I was at a sportsman's dinner that had a large variety. The very best was venison fixed like Italian beef sandwiches and some fantastic turtle. The worst was beaver tail.

#19 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:50 AM

Now about that ground hog. I have one that has cleaned me out of cabbages and broccoli. When I'm out there with no gun he sits up and whistles at me, when I have the gun he's no where to be seen, but he'll run out of luck one of these days and I'll get him! And yes, I plan to eat him,stew if nothing else. Anyone have a recipe?

• trowel, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:51 AM

Ground hogs eat the best from the garden so they do taste pretty good. A friend who is a trained chef does raccoon as a cachatore(?) that is excellant and woodchuck in a stew with several meats. The sportsmans club game dinners are a great way to try many different meals. Our State Troopers have donated deer, bear, moose, and other pests that they had to put down. Try one for a unique experience at a reasonable price.

One thing to watch real carefully with the coons is that they tend to be the most likely to have rabies in an area. Children are still dying from it because they get scratched by a rabid animal and don't tell. By the time symptoms show it is too late. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 30, 2014 - 04:52 AM.

• trowel, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Ground hogs eat the best from the garden so they do taste pretty good. A friend who is a trained chef does raccoon as a cachatore(?) that is excellant and woodchuck in a stew with several meats.

There is a southeran dish called Burgoo that probably dates back to the French explorers. A good Burgoo should have at least three kinds of meat and squirrel is often one of them. Then you add a lot of different veggies, whatever is in season in the garden. Then let simmer a long time. This isn't a real recipe, look it up. Utica, IL, down on the Illinois River, has a Burgoo Festival every year.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Guess what was walking through or property yesterday my boot is size 13 if that helps

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-07-28 20.04.16.jpg

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Sasquatch? I never ate one of those.

#24 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 860 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:24 PM

Don't mind eating whistle pig at all. I also rather eat a good young coyote than a coon or possum.

OH don't be going yuk if you have not tried cagin coyote.

:D   Al

• oldedeeres said thank you

#25 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 08:07 PM

There is a southeran dish called Burgoo that probably dates back to the French explorers. A good Burgoo should have at least three kinds of meat and squirrel is often one of them. Then you add a lot of different veggies, whatever is in season in the garden. Then let simmer a long time. This isn't a real recipe, look it up. Utica, IL, down on the Illinois River, has a Burgoo Festival every year.

I had their Burgoo a few years ago, it was a little bit to salty for my taste. I grew up eating burgoo many years ago but is a lot further down the river. One thing the state has cracked down on what can be used in this soup if you serve it to the general public. It has changed the taste some canned vegies versus fresh. To get the best Burgoo you almost have to cook it yourself. 

Charlie

• boyscout862, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 10:32 AM

We average 10-15 coons a year. We use live traps and a .22. This year they got 4chickens so far. Plenty of coyote around too but we let a trapped come in around fall time for them. He usually gets $50 for pelt. He usually pulls 10-20 coons himself from by the lake.

So far our corn is untouched, just the chickens have been gotten.

#27 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 12:48 AM

Guess what was walking through or property yesterday my boot is size 13 if that helps

Looks kinda like Mr. Bear to me.  Right tasty if it's been eating berries and green oats---- garbage? Not so much, lol.

• LilysDad and superspeedex have said thanks

#28 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Looks kinda like Mr. Bear to me.  Right tasty if it's been eating berries and green oats---- garbage? Not so much, lol.

yessir he got the birdfeeder one night  and hung out for about an hour then we seen him passing through  so hes not after anything of our but the neighbor said something got into his corn crib and got 48 ears of corn and eat everything off them so where kinda guessing it was the bear

• oldedeeres said thank you

#29 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Got this one the other night. It was out during the day..we tracked it through the woods and finally found it. I stood up after loosing it. Looked to my right and just about needed my shorts changed. Thing was at head level and a foot and a half from my face. Scared me good.

uploadfromtaptalk1407374451365.jpg

#30 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Looks like a fairly young one---- should be tender!! lol. Are you going to hang his tail from a garden post? I've heard that hanging a dead crow at the scene of the crime will keep other crows away, but it's been my experience they just come to the funeral and mourn. Crows are smart birds and recognise family.