• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:29 PM

On most Cubs the fill hole for the trans. is just above the hitch at the rear of the tractor. Glad you have the clutch working good. If you are pushing a lot of snow (and otherwise working the tractor hard) I might have opted for a little stronger than stock set up.
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#17 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:58 PM

[ATTACH]16065[/ATTACH]Here's a pic of the Plug.

Attached Thumbnails

• 73number.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, June 17, 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#18 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:53 PM

i haven't posted on here in a while, but since the last time, I have renewed my clutch, throwout bearing, and most of the associated parts, and I have been working her on a regular basis, with good results. I can't seem to find the filler hole for the transmissin. Is it under trhe seat somewhere? Anyone? (Gear driven)

There is a plug on the back cover of the transmission that a 3/8 drive socket will fit into. With the tractor on a level surface take that plug out and put the tip of your finger in and see if it comes out with oil on it. The fill level of the tranny is to the bottom of that plug hole. If you've never changed it and want to do so, IH reccomended either 30 weight oil or IH Hy-Tran which would nowadays be CaseIH Hy-Tran Ultra.

Under edit, what Eric said. LOL!!!! It would have been helpful if I would have went to the second page of posts.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 05:57 AM

I would use the Hy-Tran. Keeps moisture in suspension and highly recommended over straight-weight oil, especially with hydros.

#20 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• Member No: 1815
  • 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Ok thanks fellas, I think before winter, I'll pop the engine out, and install the heaver spring, as I intend to plow with her. And as far as the filler hole goes..... I should have figured that out on my own, one thing I'm discovering about these older machines, is the simplicity with which they were designed, makes them a pleasure to own and work on!
Thanks again for your help!