• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• Member No: 1815
  • 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:03 PM

I'm looking into replacing the clutch on my 122, has anyone done this, and if so, did you have a time finding the plates, or other parts?

#2 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• Member No: 1006
  • 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:15 PM

I'm looking into replacing the clutch on my 122, has anyone done this, and if so, did you have a time finding the plates, or other parts?

Well i replaced the clutch on my cub cadet 128, and i found all my parts on Brian Millers website. He will guide you step to step and sell you all the parts you need. If your really curious and have questions you can ask me or go to his website and give him a call. Welcome to Brian Miller's Garden Tractor Pulling Tips & Tricks!
  • cubman said thank you

#3 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 09:16 AM

Ok that's some great info, thanks!!!

#4 Kgettys OFFLINE  

Kgettys

• Member No: 739
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 11:12 AM

that job is not that bad it takes a couple of hours an all the parts you still git
  • cubman said thank you

#5 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:59 PM

clutch 001.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• clutch 008.jpg
  • good view of clutch.jpg
  • clutch 005.jpg
  • clutch 004.jpg

Edited by cubman, February 09, 2011 - 07:06 PM.
look at it! lol

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 07:17 PM

You can still get pretty much any part for this at your local Case/IH dealer. I have never seen any company that still carries so many parts for GT's this old. As to a stock clutch, they do fine under average to heavy duty use. Now if you're into competition pulling, then that's a different story.
  • cubman said thank you

#7 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 09:04 PM

ok thanks, I know where I'm going tomorow, and as far as the competition pulling goes.... not right now, I think I enjoy her more using her just around the house... I can't believe how much snow she'll push with a bad clutch, can't wait to fix her!!

#8 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 10:23 PM

ok thanks, I know where I'm going tomorow, and as far as the competition pulling goes.... not right now, I think I enjoy her more using her just around the house... I can't believe how much snow she'll push with a bad clutch, can't wait to fix her!!

Just curious whats wrong with your clutch?
  • cubman said thank you

#9 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 11:39 AM

After taking the engine out, I have discovered that the release bearing is gone, as in none exsistant. And the plates, well, they do not look like the originals, they are much bigger than the pressure plates, so I'll be looking into a new release bearing, and the driving disc. I will check the dealer, but they asked me to bring in the old ones, they are listed as a 4-1/2 disc, and the one that is in it seems a few inches bigger, it's actually broken in one spot to allow the connecting pins from the engine to fit through the whole assembly.

#10 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:27 PM

After taking the engine out, I have discovered that the release bearing is gone, as in none exsistant. And the plates, well, they do not look like the originals, they are much bigger than the pressure plates, so I'll be looking into a new release bearing, and the driving disc. I will check the dealer, but they asked me to bring in the old ones, they are listed as a 4-1/2 disc, and the one that is in it seems a few inches bigger, it's actually broken in one spot to allow the connecting pins from the engine to fit through the whole assembly.

Hmm sounds like someone in the past removed that and may have fabricated there own pressure plates. But yeah you deffinatley NEED a release bearing so the spring doesnt wear on your release arm. Sounds like your on the right track! post some pictures when your done!!!
  • cubman said thank you

#11 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ok will do. I actually found a cub cadet dealer here, (small town), and he had everything I needed. The only thing I didn't buy was the roll pin that fits behind the slotted pressure plate, but I'd asume it'd a pretty universal part. The other thing is, the spring I got from the dealer, was just a little bit longer than the original. When you changed yor clutch, did you change the spring, and if so was it the exact same as the original? I wonder if this may be a spring rated for higher pressure, and if so, would it be too much force on the bearing?

#12 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:23 AM

Ok will do. I actually found a cub cadet dealer here, (small town), and he had everything I needed. The only thing I didn't buy was the roll pin that fits behind the slotted pressure plate, but I'd asume it'd a pretty universal part. The other thing is, the spring I got from the dealer, was just a little bit longer than the original. When you changed yor clutch, did you change the spring, and if so was it the exact same as the original? I wonder if this may be a spring rated for higher pressure, and if so, would it be too much force on the bearing?

Thats good to hear. And yes the roll pins are universal. But theres two types. Just make sure you buy the double coiled ones instead of the weaker single coiled. The double coiled roll pins are much stronger and you can ask your local hardwar store if they have any or use that brian millers website because he sells them. Okay, the new spring is deffinatley and should be longer then the original because the original gets compressed and released whenever you use the clutch for probably 40 years so it is worn and they do shrink. The spring that you are replacing, used to be as long as the new one you just purchased. So with the new spring your clutch should engage smoothly almost like it was new.
  • cubman said thank you

#13 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 12:43 PM

i haven't posted on here in a while, but since the last time, I have renewed my clutch, throwout bearing, and most of the associated parts, and I have been working her on a regular basis, with good results. I can't seem to find the filler hole for the transmissin. Is it under trhe seat somewhere? Anyone? (Gear driven)

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the update. As to the fill hole, been so long since I owned a CC that I can't remember.
  • cubman said thank you

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 02:47 PM

That Red clutch spring is a MidWest Heavy Duty Red 800LB clutch spring.And the Hanger was upgraded (weld washers in and use a heaver bolt) lol

Wow I didn't even look at the date on the 1st post :wallbanging:

Edited by EricFromPa, June 17, 2011 - 10:48 PM.

• cubman said thank you