DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 07:57 PM

:help: This is a replacement golf cart motor that I have, I need to know how to make an end plate with a bearing and shaft for a V pulley or chain sprocket or love joy connector.
This has to be done without a lathe since I don't have one.
The motor is to be used on a future EV conversion project.
Anybody got any ideas?

golf cart motor 001.jpg

golf cart motor 004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• golf cart motor 002.jpg
  • golf cart motor 003.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I have an idea
you will need another golf cart motor end housing to bolt a flange bearing to, as well as the shaft that fits the motor. I have a golf cart motor on a rear axle that the motor wont run on, it is an EZ GO with GE motor. I may not need it anymore and i will look up ur numbers to see if your motor will fit the rear axle I have. But be warned... It's heavy. If nothing else you can have my motor for parts, could be an end bearing sacrificer.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Doug,

You can cut a round plate, that needs to be flat, with a torch and then drill hole the same Dia. as the end of your motor. You will then need to find a flange mount bearing that will fit the end of the motor shaft, bolt the bearing to your end plate and you may haveto usecounter sunk bolts to clear motor windings, lock the shaft down in the bearing. Now you will have to come up with a splined shaft that will fit into the end of you motor and be long enough to mount 2 pillow block bearings on and still have enough room to either mount the pulley between the bearings or the other end of the shaft. Thats the only way to do it without the use of a lathe in my opinion.

Hope this helps, Brian

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I don't think it will fit looking at it, it looks too new to fit a 76-83 ezgo rear end, but the end cap off my motor might just fit. Biggest issue you will have is the shaft spline.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Doug,

You can cut a round plate, that needs to be flat, with a torch and then drill hole the same Dia. as the end of your motor. You will then need to find a flange mount bearing that will fit the end of the motor shaft, bolt the bearing to your end plate and you may haveto usecounter sunk bolts to clear motor windings, lock the shaft down in the bearing. Now you will have to come up with a splined shaft that will fit into the end of you motor and be long enough to mount 2 pillow block bearings on and still have enough room to either mount the pulley between the bearings or the other end of the shaft. Thats the only way to do it without the use of a lathe in my opinion.

Hope this helps, Brian

Ya, I was studying the pics more so didnt see brians post, but it looks like the windings stick out of the case some. My golf cart motor has a front plate but no bearing, but it doesn't run su don't know it's issue. I am not going to use the motor but might ditch the end cap if i dont need it.

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Done some searching on the motor and have determined that it is 170-004-0001
>Golf Cart Parts & Accessories From GolfCarCatalog.Com| E-Z-GO Electric Motors E-Z-GO 8.0 Peak HP @ 2780 Rpm, 36 Volt, 12 Mph, (Higher Torque) DC Electric Motor

This is a high torque upgrade motor for E-Z-GO golf carts, you can get high speed or high torque motors, this one actually has less top speed that the stock but gives you up to 80% more torque for towing, hills, rough terrain.
Got this cheap a couple of years ago be nice to put it to some use.
It might be better to use a love joy type coupling to minimize the side forces on the shaft???
Brian your way sounds good, kinda what I figured would have to be done, the motor shaft needs to be centered some how, there's not much clearance, 1/8" from touching one side to the other, armature to the field coils.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:28 PM

You can use a shim ring to space the end plate up and mount the bearing inside the motor. That should allow clearence for the windings and the end plate.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:30 PM

You will have to be very careful making sure you get the armature centered or risk damaging the windings. The main thing is in the layout of the mounting holes.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 09:34 PM

What about something like this but aluminum instead of wood.
golf cart motor 005.jpg

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 10:41 PM

That looks like it'll work. How thick on the aluminum? You may want to get some thicker stuff & use some locktite on the bolts, the Aluminum will expand at a different rate when it gets warm, don't want it working loose is all.

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Well I figure at least 1/4" thick aluminum or 1/4" thick steel plate.