11 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys first of all i love this forum and have got advice previously which was very helpful.  ANyway we have a 216 which runs great and after the last mow on Saturday I went to disengage the blades and noticed they didn't shut off.  I have not changed any belts or done anything, this just came out of nowehere.  So basically now when you fire up the mower the blades are engaged at about half speed, then when you flip up the handle to engage them fully they go to full power.  It's almost like having a short belt, but I know this is not the case because i haven't changed it and it worked fine all year.  Also the drive variable speed belt is in new condition and for some reason the variable speed adjustment is not doing anything.  I've heard that this moves on a shaft and might need to be oiled so that it can actually do something.  i adjust the variable speed per the manual by loosening bolt and turning motor over without spark.  

Any advice on why this belt or pto turn on would cause the issue of making the blades run at all times?

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 02:34 PM

is your pto manual or electric clutch?

for manual pto check your motor mounts!

if the motor mounts are bad it can cause several different problems.

for electric pto - check your switch, the pto and the pto wiring.

have you put graphite on the variator

so the center part of the variator can slide back and forth

you might not have the variator spring tight enough 

tighten the eye bolt for the variator spring

Edited by lyall, July 24, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Could be the clutch adjustment simply came loose, allowing the clutch to contact just enough to cause a drag.  It also could be the idler bearing in the outer half of the clutch going bad & causing the drag.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Being it's a 216, it could only have came with an electric PTO clutch. I would make sure that the clutch is adjusted properly.

• olcowhand said thank you

#5 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:13 PM

One other thing to check and the main reason I tore into my #46 deck:  The belt tensioner on the deck itself (the double pulley at the rear of the deck) could be dry and in need of a good grease job.  When they stick, it is usually a condition like you describe OR as in my case, wouldn't fully engage so once you start mowing, the blades would stop.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Being it's a 216, it could only have came with an electric PTO clutch. I would make sure that the clutch is adjusted properly.

Oh, didn't realize they only came with electric pto.  Then it could still be the idler bearing too.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:34 PM

JD went to Electric PTO Clutches on all 200 Series GTs in 1979 as standard equipment the same year JD added the 216 to their lineup.

• olcowhand said thank you

#8 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Ok, i don't know exactly what clutch you guys are talking about, the foot lever clutch?  Anyway i did get it fixed.  i simply loosened the belt and it now goes off and on like it should.

I've been battling the variator adjustment since i bought this thing and i've tried all the steps in the manual to adjust it yet i'm still having issue.  Brand new john deere belt.  Here's what happens.  The variator lever is acting like a clutch, i can put it in gear and it won't move, then when i push the variator lever to the 2nd notch it goes, but after the 2nd notch none of the other ones make it goa ny faster it's like i only have 1 speed to go in any gear.  No matter what notch it's on it only goes the same speed.

My question, ther are actually 2 holes with bolts in them when you go to adjust the clutch.  Which one is the one i need to back out and crank the motor over to raise the clutch pedal?  they both has the same 3/4 bolt that can be turned, i'm wondering if i'm backing out the wrong one.

#9 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Your variator functions similar to a snowmobile clutch.  The difference is that the spread or contraction of the pulley halves, is manually controlled by you, with the lever.  These pulley halves slide back and forth on a bushing assembly.  If that assembly becomes dirty over time, and they all do, the pulley halves will bind and not slide.  This gives you either very little movement OR depending on where in their travel they are binding, you may only have max speed, OR any combination in between.  The bolt you are referring to is only for the fine engagement adjustment.  As to which one it is, you got me on that one.  One of the other Deere heads will be along to fill you in on that.

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Screenshot.png

it sound like the variator is not swinging back and forth as you move the level for the variator

the bolt (#7) might be rusted, stopping the variator to swing

some have a grease cert to grease the bolt - most I have seen do not

you might have to remove the bolt and clean it

if you have to first remove the eye bolt (#13) and the belts for easy removal of the bolt

and check the variator and see it the sleave (center part) slides and spins freely

I use powered graphite for the sleave, some use oil.  if you use oil do not use to much, the oil will get on the belt and slip

#11 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 09:52 AM

So does anybody know which bolt is which, is #7 the one on the left or on the right.  i have 2 bolt holes one is deeper than the other like is aid both are 3/4 i just dont know which one to loosen for what adjsutment.

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 12:22 PM

it should on the left one

the right is the fine adjustment

look at the picture again